The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Which Pick-Up Truck?

Post by Big Boy »

stumorelli wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:15 am Ford Ranger - Looks Great, drives well and most models have a good spec although it is reflected in the price. They have lots of interior space hence the reason BB will be happy in his. My only concern would be the how the engine fairs after 100K -200K but maybe Big Boy can comment as you have owned for a decent time frame,
Mine is still fairly low mileage (about 116K), but the engine still has plenty of oomph.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Groodman

Post by Groodman »

Is the Isuzu 1.9 engine powerful enough for a heavy pick up or should I go for the 3.0. Advice please.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Groodman wrote:Is the Isuzu 1.9 engine powerful enough for a heavy pick up or should I go for the 3.0. Advice please.
Not sure it’s easy to advise without further details. Clearly the 1.9 is going to be down on power by some margin, but are you going to be carrying heavy loads or not? Also, what are you currently driving - is it much different power wise? I remember reading that the 3.0 was hardly any less fuel efficient than the old 2.5 litre, but presumably the new 1.9 is more efficient - cost will also be up a fair bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stumorelli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by stumorelli »

Groodman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:31 pm Is the Isuzu 1.9 engine powerful enough for a heavy pick up or should I go for the 3.0. Advice please.

What will you be using it for and will you carry any heavy loads ?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I used to drive from Hua Hin to Issan a lot and mess about with farming and then the 3 litre made sense but now the truck just gets driven around Hua Hin and definitely a 1.9 would be enough for that.
Groodman

Post by Groodman »

Yes light loads, I might even go for the MU-X as my wife wants a car that will hold 7 people or 5 people & luggage. So it sounds as if the 1.9 would do.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I would think the 1.9 has a turbo, so that's a boost when needed.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hang on a second. We started talking pick-up trucks but now that you mention MU-X we are talking SUV's and 7 people? That's a whole different ballgame concerning body weight. I would check the body weight carefully as compared to an Isuzu pick-up to see if we are dealing with apples and apples. If the SUV is much heavier you may want to rethink the 1.9 vs 3.0 option. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s not as much difference in the outputs from the two engines as you might imagine - the 1.9 is rated at 150 BHP and 350 Newton’s torque and the 3.0 is 177 and 380 and I believe that if you want 4 wheel drive, it’s only available with the 3.0 engine
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:54 am There’s not as much difference in the outputs from the two engines as you might imagine - the 1.9 is rated at 150 BHP and 350 Newton’s torque and the 3.0 is 177 and 380 and I believe that if you want 4 wheel drive, it’s only available with the 3.0 engine
A new Isuzu MU-X was launched yesterday, details here
https://www.autofun.co.th/news/%E0%B9%8 ... B8%99-7367
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Back to the basics

Ford's new Ranger and Everest companion offer the bold, tough look customers crave. Tech upgrades and a more spacious, comfortable interior are added bonuses.

Ford has recently released photos and details of its all-new Ranger pickup that will be officially launched in Thailand early next year.

The new Ranger and its Everest PPV (Pickup Passenger Vehicle) derivative is designed in Australia but will be produced in Thailand and South Africa. The American automaker has just announced a US$900 million (30.1 billion baht) investment for new technologies and systems at its two Thai assembly plants in preparation for production of these new models.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/auto/review ... the-basics
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Has anyone bought a pick up truck in Thailand recently?
I was planning on buying a new one this year and was wondering if there were any supply issues, I know new vehicles in Europe are in short supply and long waiting lists are normal, six months or longer.
I was thinking about a 1.9 D-Max but haven't fully decided yet.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've been looking casually as well Steve at various websites, and I've not seen any red letter notice about delays or wait time for any model made here, truck or car. Isuzu I think before was linked with GM/Chevy, and now I think it's with Mazda?

As I browse if I see anything about delays I'll post. If you want to spend 1.8 million try a Ford Raptor and mow down the jungle! :laugh: :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

According to this, the D-Max is now the best selling pickup in Thailand
https://www.dsf.my/2021/02/isuzu-d-max- ... -thailand/
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I looked at the D-Max when I was over there in December and was very impressed with it. When I bought my last truck some years a go, Isuzu's were very spartan inside compared with Toyota but that isn't the case anymore.