'Thais-only' policy is racism, pure and simple

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Big Boy

Re: 'Thais-only' policy is racism, pure and simple

Post by Big Boy »

Using the official link, the following statement still appears further down the page:
CM2.png
CM2.png (27.28 KiB) Viewed 1522 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And then there was the headline in the Thai Rath newspaper that wasn't very complimentary about 165 Filipino Teachers arriving in Thailand that has prompted the following response from The Philippine Embassy.
117440034_4801430613204101_4165812334694574909_o.jpg
(118.78 KiB) Downloaded 994 times
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand seems hell-bent on offending anyone that isn't Thai or Chinese at the moment. This shit will only continue while the fascistas remain in power and keep endorsing the practice.

Diplomacy is lost on dictators.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lost wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 pm
Bamboo Grove wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:09 pm
I really couldn't say. Just a culture that has been ongoing for hundreds of years in Thailand's case.
As with any other country in the world, Thailand is a mix of different cultures. It has absorbed things from Khmer, Burmese, Indian, Chinese and other cultures. Not to mention that Laotian, Lanna, Mon and other cultures have also strongly influenced what is now Thailand and how its people behave and what they consider as Thai culture. IMHO, there is no such thing as culture that belongs to only to defined borders of any given country.
Blah blah blah got bored pretty quick. We're talking about real world stuff. The present.

Were talking about positive change.
Ooops, sorry about this one BG. Can't remember posting it. Moron (me).

:oops:

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Lost wrote:
That's no problem. Some people here know, I miss conversation about Thai culture, seems hard to find here but no offence taken.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:36 pm Lost wrote:
That's no problem. Some people here know, I miss conversation about Thai culture, seems hard to find here but no offence taken.
:cheers:

Was evidently my go-to drunk response when I realised the forum member I'm interacting with is far more knowledgeable on the subject matter than I. :thumb:

Sorry mods... :offtopic:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Oh dear, here we go again ...

EXPAT SAYS BANK DENIED HIM ENTRY ‘DUE TO COVID-19’
A foreign resident on Wednesday said he was turned away by employees at a bank in downtown Bangkok who allegedly cited coronavirus measures and his ethnicity as the reason.

Russian national Grigory Zimenkov, 36, said he was wearing a face mask when he tried to enter a Bank of Ayudhya’s branch on Surawong Road at around 1pm.

Zimenkov said a guard asked him to wait outside. Then a couple of employees came out offering to help him use the ATM rather than entering the bank, but Zimenkov said he needed to use a teller’s service to do bank transactions. Then, a bank manager came out.

“The manager showed me on his phone some announcement about COVID-19. So I asked, ‘because of COVID I cannot enter? Because I am a foreigner?’ And he nodded,” the Russian expat said.

Zimenkov said he then offered to hand him his card and passport to the bank employees so they could do the transactions for him while he waited outside, but his request was rejected. While the exchanges happened, other Thai customers were free to enter, he said.

The expat said he later went to the Krungsri branch at Chamchuri Square to do his transactions: “It was smooth, without any problems or questions.”

An employee answering the phone at the Surawong branch Wednesday said he would not comment on the matter, but insisted that the incident was “related to COVID.”

The Bank of Ayudhya’s call center said that the company does not have any policy to bar foreigners from using its services.

“We don’t have any policy that discriminates against customers. It could have been a misunderstanding since he does not speak Thai,” the operator said, adding that the headquarters will look into the matter.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... -covid-19/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

"Does not speak Thai." The all purpose excuse.

Apparently, the bank employees and manager spoke English well enough to inform him of his lack of rights.

I wonder what would have happened if he took off his mask, coughed and walked away? Oh, to have seen the panic would have been entertaining.