Krung Thai Bank, Market Village

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Big Boy

Krung Thai Bank, Market Village

Post by Big Boy »

This must be Thailand's busiest bank branch.

Since Covid, there are always dozens of people queuing outside. Going to Kasikorn Bank this morning the seats (and there are a lot of them) were full, they'd also filled the Kasikorn seats and there was a massive queue of people in the aisle going towards the post office. I actually had to (very) gently nudge a few people's ankles with the wheelchair to make them give room for my wife's wheelchair. I've never known it as bad as this morning. Social distacing was a big joke.

Why is it so popular?

I realise it is the government bank and pensions are paid there, but it really is incredibly busy.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Krung Thai Bank, Market Village

Post by buksida »

It's the government bank and benefits are also paid there - Thais have to use it with any dealings with the state that involve finances.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

That bank also handles all govt. funding. For those who qualify they have to go to the bank and apply for their monthly stipend, 3000 bht., The app and online service is generally not working so people have to go to the bank and apply and collect their money. Possibly, that was what was going on.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I think it is also linked to the 50/50 scheme which ends soon and hopefully things will return to normal. Not sure but the wife mentioned that.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you guys. It just seems crazy putting so much traffic through a single bank (which I presume is replicated in every town/city across Thailand) when we are supposed to be social distancing. That one bank must be doing more business than every other bank in Hua Hin combined.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its only natural for an authoritarian regime to force people to use its own bank - more profits in pockets for those at the top.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Big Boy wrote:Thank you guys. It just seems crazy putting so much traffic through a single bank (which I presume is replicated in every town/city across Thailand) when we are supposed to be social distancing. That one bank must be doing more business than every other bank in Hua Hin combined.
The branch by the main cross roads on Petchasem had a long line out the front at 8:00am yesterday as I was on the school run. I didn’t think they opened until 9:00am so dread to see the line anywhere close to opening time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk