VPN Recommendations and Discussion

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: VPN Recommendations

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:11 pm The 'smart locations' change depending on where you are - the network attempts to find the fastest connection outside the source country. Routing through Singapore instead of Bangkok gives me a much faster and more stable connection, I don't use it for TV.

As an update Dannie, did they sort out the issues you were having before with iPlayer?
Yes, I’ve been able to use it with just the occasional issue, but by switching between the 4 sever locations have been able to watch UK TV programmes, although the most stable one until this morning has been UK- London
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've just noticed that The Isle of Man, and Jersey has Express VPN servers as well. If they're considered as the UK, BBC IPlayer should work there as well I would think.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote:I've just noticed that The Isle of Man, and Jersey has Express VPN servers as well. If they're considered as the UK, BBC IPlayer should work there as well I would think.
When I was having problems I tried both and they both got caught in the “I’m not in the UK scenario”, but haven’t tried since - as it’s working I don’t want to tempt fate!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Post by HHTel »

Just bought Chrome's VPN. $99 for 15 months. Appears to get around the problem although download speeds are somewhat slower.
30 days to assess it and if no good then money back.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: The Digital Surgery (computer questions/problems here)

Post by Dannie Boy »

Express VPN is the same price and gets good reviews. I did experience problems logging onto the BBC iPlayer a while back but it’s ok now and the speed is normally good.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Initially I found Express VPN worked well. However after only a few days it's causing problems.
I was using Singapore and was getting good download speeds. That connection now breaks after 5 or 10 mins.

I've tried Hong Kong and Australia with the same result.

Can anyone put some light on this problem. Is there a particular connection that is considered 'stable'?
buksida

Post by buksida »

I've been using it with Singapore for almost a year and it has rarely dropped out. The only time it does is when TOT goes down ... and up ... and down again which has happened a LOT this week.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We’ve been experiencing problems for a few months which I’m sure are TOT related rather than Express VPN and yesterday we lost the internet connection a number of times during the afternoon, but after it eventually came back, it seems to be a lot more stable - watching the BBC iPlayer last night, it was faultless (it hasn’t been like that for a few months). I am currently using VPN’s UK London server.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Take a look at NORDVPN, I been using it for about 3 years and is very happy.
Have 8 DK. servers and 50+ UK servers. You can choose fastest server or find one yourself, can see how many % its full.
Have used it for look DK. tv in Thailand, or Thai tv here in DK.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've had Express VPN for around a week. I found some hiccups in the first couple of days but since then its faultless. Download speed of movies comes in at just below 20 mbps which is fine. Mostly hooked into Singapore, and the UK when I use the hub.
Maybe it took a couple of days 'to get to know me!'
Thoroughly recommend it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anyone having issues with Express? App no longer loads on the desktop - support says its a known issue and are overwhelmed at the moment.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

VPN Recommendations

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote:Anyone having issues with Express? App no longer loads on the desktop - support says its a known issue and are overwhelmed at the moment.
Mine is working on my iPad/iPhone at the moment - I’m using UK - London

PS. It worked last night on my laptop ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dannie Boy on Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I use it every day. Mostly Singapore and Hong Kong as a backup. No problems.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Curious. It works ok on the phone and laptop - must be something on the PC affecting the client.

I miss the high-speed internet and no buffering - its like going back ten years with this shitty TOT connection in its native state. :banghead:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ You could try using Windscribe as a reserve vpn. If you don't want to pay you still get 10GB free every month, though with a restricted selection of servers.