(Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by HHTel »

But I gather its not the rule here and that's my point.
And one of my points was highlighting why we need to have rules, be they good or bad. People should have the ability to think for themselves. There is massive amounts of information about what people should do and shouldn't do.

I'll follow the given rules, because I have to. However, regardless of them I'll also follow my own rules.

Why we need someone in authority (but not necessarily qualified) to tell us what to do is beyond me. We are supposed to be intelligent human beings. (evidence required...lol). We are not schoolchildren.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) News

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:28 am
But I gather its not the rule here and that's my point.
And one of my points was highlighting why we need to have rules, be they good or bad. People should have the ability to think for themselves. There is massive amounts of information about what people should do and shouldn't do.

I'll follow the given rules, because I have to. However, regardless of them I'll also follow my own rules.

Why we need someone in authority (but not necessarily qualified) to tell us what to do is beyond me. We are supposed to be intelligent human beings. (evidence required...lol). We are not schoolchildren.
"should" and "supposed" are the operative words. That would be a tough case to prove in court.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: (Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Post by HHTel »

Court doesn't come into it. As I said, I will follow the official rules because I have to! Whether I agree with them or not is a different matter.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Business Insider
Staying 6 feet apart indoors does almost nothing to stop the spread of COVID-19, MIT study finds
Marianne Guenot
Mon, April 26, 2021, 6:27 PM
social distancing restaurants
People eating behind individual plastic screens at a restaurant in Bangkok on May 8. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha
The widely used 6-foot rule does little to prevent COVID-9 exposure indoors, MIT researchers found.

The risk of exposure from an infected person is similar at 6 feet and 60 feet, one researcher said.

The study said mask-wearing, ventilation, and what a space is used for were bigger variables.

See more stories on Insider's business page.

The widely used rule of staying 6 feet away from others does little to affect the risk of exposure to COVID-19 in indoor spaces, according to a new study out of MIT.

According to MIT researchers, the rule is based on an outdated understanding of how the coronavirus moves in closed spaces.

They said other variables - like the number of people in a space, whether they wear masks, what they are doing, and the level of ventilation - were much more important.

The 6-foot rule is used in various forms around the world: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises 6 feet of separation indoors and outdoors, while in the UK the figure is 2 meters. In much of Europe, the figure is 1 meter, which is also recommended as a minimum distance by the World Health Organization.

But while such distancing rules are easy to remember, and purport to suit any situation, the new study says they may not be that useful.

The study was released online ahead of its publication in the peer-reviewed journal PNAS on Tuesday.

It says a better way of controlling indoor exposure is to do individual calculations based on variables for that space.

In some cases, the exposure level might be the same at 6 feet as at 60 feet, one of the study authors has said.

Martin Bazant and John Bush, both MIT professors in applies mathematics, developed a formula to estimate how long it would take for a person to hit dangerous levels of exposure from one infected person entering a room.

The calculation is more sophisticated version of the traffic-light system previously proposed by MIT. It takes into account the number of people in the room, the size of the space, what they are doing, whether masks are being worn, and what kind of ventilation is in place.

Using this calculation, it could be that the level of exposure is high in some spaces even if people are more than 6 feet away. It could also be lower than expected.

"The distancing isn't helping you that much, and it's also giving you a false sense of security because you're as safe at 6 feet as you are at 60 feet if you're indoors. Everyone in that space is at roughly the same risk, actually," Bazant told CNBC.

Scientific understanding of how the coronavirus moves in the air has challenged earlier assumptions about how best to adapt to minimize its spread.

At the beginning of the pandemic, it was widely believed that the virus traveled via heavier droplets ejected during exhalation, sneezing, or speaking.

But evidence has long suggested that the virus instead floats around on lighter aerosol droplets that can stay suspended in the air and travel much farther than first thought.

In their calculation, the MIT researchers took into account the effect of having people in the room, and their behavior, on how long the virus would stay suspended in the air.

In a calm environment, these particles would slowly drift to the ground, the researchers said in their study.

But in an environment in which the air is moving around the room and people are talking, eating, singing, and sneezing, the drops can be suspended in the airflow and mixed throughout the room longer.

The effect can be counteracted by ventilation or filtration to get the virus particles out of circulation in the room.

A website made available by the researchers shows how this model works in different scenarios.

For example, if an infected person walks into a classroom hosting 25 people, none wearing masks and all speaking, everyone would be at risk from the coronavirus within 36 minutes, the website says. It doesn't matter if they follow the 6-foot rule.

By contrast, if all 25 people in that room were wearing a mask, the air would be safe to breathe for 20 hours, it said.

If they were all singing without a mask, they be at risk from the virus within three minutes.

Public-health bodies have started to acknowledge that the 6-foot rule is not a catchall. In March, the CDC advised that the 6-foot rule could be brought down to 3 feet in K-12 schools.

This weekend, the CDC also updated social-distancing guidance for children in summer camps, saying they can be within 3 feet of one another except when eating or drinking.

It also suggested that disinfection of surfaces might not be necessary in public spaces, urging an end to what some have called "hygiene theater."

As for rules dictating social distancing outdoors, Bazant said they are "kind of crazy," CNBC reported. The infected air "would be swept away," Bazant said, making the rule irrelevant.

Unless the space outdoors is crowded, Bazant said, he would feel comfortable being as close as 3 feet even without masks.

Experts have told Insider that when it is possible to stay more than 6 feet away from people, wearing a mask outside is not always necessary.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:36 am Court doesn't come into it. As I said, I will follow the official rules because I have to! Whether I agree with them or not is a different matter.
You don't "have to." You choose to. You don't "have" to do anything, nor can anyone make you do anything. We are responsible for what we do and we make the choice to do it or not. Even if you point at gun at my head and threaten to shoot me if I don't obey, it's still my choice to obey or not.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Okay. I'll rephrase it. "I will follow the law so as not to be a 'lawbreaker' and face consequences"
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

HHTel wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:16 am Okay. I'll rephrase it. "I will follow the law so as not to be a 'lawbreaker' and face consequences"
That makes sense. :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

A detailed study from Denmark on mask wearing concluding that they are not really much use:
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

Read it and make your own decisions.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Irrespective of whether you agree or disagree with the findings, if the authorities declare that you should wear them, that’s what you need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ms Tigger
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ms Tigger »

I notice the Governor of Bangkok has dobbed in the Prime Minister for not wearing a mask, with the PM being fined 6K.
Well, I say Governor, might be ex Governor fairly shortly!🤔
It's all good :cheers:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

If there was ever a candidate for the (don't) wear a mask it must be the farang I saw in my local store wearing a mask that must have started life coloured white. I suspect this man has been wearing it for over 6 months. I believe scientists at Porton Down Biological Lab would be interested to see what weapons of mass destruction are being incubated in there. :tsk: :banghead: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

RThe idea of wearing a mask is to stop spreading the disease. I am exempt, but I wear a full face plastic shield, with normal breathing it has to be cleaned many times if I wear it for a day. This proves that NOT wearing a mask spreads the disease.
In my opinion wearing of a mask should be compulsory.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:19 pm Irrespective of whether you agree or disagree with the findings, if the authorities declare that you should wear them, that’s what you need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:thumb:
lindosfan1 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:46 pm RThe idea of wearing a mask is to stop spreading the disease. I am exempt, but I wear a full face plastic shield, with normal breathing it has to be cleaned many times if I wear it for a day. This proves that NOT wearing a mask spreads the disease.
In my opinion wearing of a mask should be compulsory.

It is!
Topspin
Banned
Banned

Post by Topspin »

Felipesed1 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:00 pm A detailed study from Denmark on mask wearing concluding that they are not really much use:
https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-6817

Read it and make your own decisions.
78a9e16f59958cf728c4dd89115372c9--lol-funny-funny-pics.jpg
78a9e16f59958cf728c4dd89115372c9--lol-funny-funny-pics.jpg (10.98 KiB) Viewed 366 times
To all conspiracy theorists...“when you hear hoofbeats, think of horses, not zebras.” :naughty: