Death estate.

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Death estate.

Post by StevePIraq »

I hope someone can help with this issue.

A guy I know has recently passed away, his body now taken to Bangkok for a post mortem, it seems he was with a lady at the time.

I do not know him well as he was a bit of a pain, to be honest he was a grumpy sod at times. I feel kind of obliged to help with his estate. He had a nice large home, car, dog and I assume bank accounts here. He did not communicate with his family in the UK, and had no long term relationship in Hua Hin.

Does any one know what happens, does the government take his estate or possible keep it for a period awaiting a claim. I have no idea how to contact his family in the UK.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Death estate.

Post by caller »

Have you contacted the British Embassy or tried a legit solicitor for advice?
Talk is cheap
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

caller wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:50 pm Have you contacted the British Embassy or tried a legit solicitor for advice?
Sorry to admit it but I have not, I only found out about his death yesterday. I will give the embassy a call, at least I do know the chaps full name and phone number.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Did he have a Facebook page?
This is the way
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:18 pm Did he have a Facebook page?
No, he could not use a computer, I helped him a few times with that, he had no idea how to use the phone either.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I have time on my hands. If you want to PM me his details and any background info you have on him (where he comes from, previous occupation, etc.), I'm happy to make some basic enquiries for you via computer and phone. Probably won't come to anything, but you never know. (No charge, of course!).

It would help if his name isn't Smith or Jones...
This is the way
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 pm I have time on my hands. If you want to PM me his details and any background info you have on him (where he comes from, previous occupation, etc.), I'm happy to make some basic enquiries for you via computer and phone. Probably won't come to anything, but you never know. (No charge, of course!).

It would help if his name isn't Smith or Jones...
DT what a kind offer, let me check with the UM Embassy on Monday first. My own lawyer has told me in the past that all foreign deaths are reported to the relevant Embassy.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Dtaai-maai,
I contacted the Bangkok UK embassy and the Thai police have already provided them with information and they are in the process of contacting his overseas family. Seems the Thai authorities are quite on top of this.

Many thanks for your advice.