Guide to moving to Hua Hin

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
lmossford
Novice
Novice

Guide to moving to Hua Hin

Post by lmossford »

Does such a thing as "A Guide To Moving To Hua Hin" exist. My wife and I (both retired)(Canadian Passports) have visited Thailand about 8 times now, North and South and we are considering looking for a six month a year stay in Hua Hin. We know that rules are changing all the time and there will be lots of hoops to jump through. Is there one place on this forum where I could be looking for help? Has anyone ever put together a Guide?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Guide to moving to Hua Hin

Post by handdrummer »

lmossford wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:04 pm Does such a thing as "A Guide To Moving To Hua Hin" exist. My wife and I (both retired)(Canadian Passports) have visited Thailand about 8 times now, North and South and we are considering looking for a six month a year stay in Hua Hin. We know that rules are changing all the time and there will be lots of hoops to jump through. Is there one place on this forum where I could be looking for help? Has anyone ever put together a Guide?
You may want to look on you tube, there are dozens of videos, by expats, who have lived here for several years and know what they are talking about. I haven't seen anything specific for living in Hua Hin but most of their comments and suggestions apply to most placed in Thailand.

The one thing that I would strongly suggest, is start studying the language. The more you know, the less frustrated you will be.

There's also a slim paperback that's been useful; Do's and Don'ts in Thailand.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:27 am
lmossford wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:04 pm Does such a thing as "A Guide To Moving To Hua Hin" exist. My wife and I (both retired)(Canadian Passports) have visited Thailand about 8 times now, North and South and we are considering looking for a six month a year stay in Hua Hin. We know that rules are changing all the time and there will be lots of hoops to jump through. Is there one place on this forum where I could be looking for help? Has anyone ever put together a Guide?
The one thing that I would strongly suggest, is start studying the language. The more you know, the less frustrated you will be.
I agree 100%. I’d especially recommend your initial focus be on learning the Thai alphabet and tone rules, then slowly start to increase your vocabulary of Thai words. It’s surprisingly easy to learn if you get a good book such as “Thai for Beginners” by Benjawan Poomsan Becker. Being able to read (and write) solves a lot of mysteries and is extremely valuable, especially once you can begin to read signs while driving and in shopping malls and stores. Not to mention maps in the Thai language are much more informative than the English language knock-offs. Many people go the opposite way and put their initial focus on trying to learn to speak. In some ways this is harder and a bit crippling as without the reading / tone rules foundation under their belt they are either forced to try to memorize the sound and tone unique to each and every syllable / word, or worse yet, ignore the tones entirely. If you do end up moving here, consider enrolling in weekly language study through a school such as Sirada, or there are several others. This provides ongoing language skills improvement as well as insight into current events and is also a good way to socialize. If you find any good guides that help you with your move, please post them here.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Moving to Hua Hin is probably very little difference to moving next door. You will never find a one size fits all, and most of it will be common sense. It's probably just as easy asking the questions you are unsure about as they cross your mind. The solutions will then be current, and tailored to you. Just ask away.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It might seem daunting, but it's not really, just different.

There are many western retired couples living here. I doubt many speak Thai, although I can't argue with the advise of trying to learn some . But it's probably more important in areas where English isn't spoken much. That's not the case with Hua Hin.

I think you have just started the thread that you need for advice.
Talk is cheap
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

lmossford wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:04 pm We know that rules are changing all the time and there will be lots of hoops to jump through.
Actually they haven't changed much in the last 20 yrs, just tightened up a bit now and then. More so, the foreign embassies screwed things up, by no longer validating paperwork.

If only coming for 6 months a year, then a tourist visa, with extensions should cover most of that. Or, you could go the retirement visa route, very easy to get and extend in country, if Thailand suits you and you plan on staying all year.

Since only 6 months mentioned, guessing you wish to keep Canadian residency, if applicable, those increases in pension & healthcare bennies, if needing. Which case, think I'd go tourist visa route with extensions. I think they might actually be relaxing some rules in the future, as things return to normal. As they are doing now, waiving just about everything, to keep as many foreigners here as possible.

Not many have actually been stuck here, ever, or forced to leave, even though many visas have expired a long time ago. Hopefully they'll realize that advantage, and loosen things up a bit.

Hey, I can dream, though personally, like things just the way they are.