Astronomy, cosmology and space thread

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Astronomy, cosmology and space thread

Post by hhfarang »

Jeff Bezos is now scheduled to be the first space race billionaire to go to space in one of his own rockets...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/07/tech/jef ... index.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

hhfarang wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:47 pm Jeff Bezos is now scheduled to be the first space race billionaire to go to space in one of his own rockets...

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/07/tech/jef ... index.html
It's great to see (hope we do).... But yeah, I couldn't cover the cost of a "flight" :(

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

"A mystery bidder has paid $28m (£20m) for a seat on Amazon founder Jeff Bezos's first crewed spaceflight by the billionaire's Blue Origin company.

This winning bid was made at Saturday's auction, with Blue Origin tweeting that the winner's identity would be revealed in the coming weeks.

The bidding process attracted interest from more than 140 countries.

The other two crew members of the 20 July flight are Mr Bezos' brother Mark and an unnamed space tourist.

After a nearly month-long bidding process the top bid had stood at just under $5m - but once Saturday's online auction got under way that figure rose more than five times.

"The winning bid amount will be donated to Blue Origin's foundation, @ClubforFuture," Blue Origin tweeted."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57457378
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^^^

I understand it's for aerodynamics 'n stuff but couldn't they have changed the shape ever so slightly? Or must it look like a giant ding dong?

blueorigin01.jpg
blueorigin01.jpg (97.82 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

This should be interesting and obviously a big step forward for "Space Tourism" - I also believe (along with Bezos and Musk) it's another big push for Space Exploration :thumb:

Follow LIVE from 14:00 BST Sunday July 11th on www.space.com

"On July 11, Virgin Galactic will make a giant leap toward commercial suborbital spaceflight. The company will launch its first fully crewed flight of its SpaceShipTwo space plane Unity with a special passenger on board: the company's billionaire founder Richard Branson.

Branson, three crewmates and two pilots will launch on the historic flight after being carried into launch position by Virgin Galactic's carrier plane VMS Eve. They will take off from the company's homeport of Spaceport America in New Mexico, with a live webcast chronicling the flight. ."

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And for the next Billionaire in Space....

"Blue Origin's New Shepard rocket is counting down for its first crewed flight on July 20, when it will launch company founder Jeff Bezos and three others into space, and you can watch the whole thing live.

The launch of New Shepard's first crewed flight will be broadcast beginning at 7:30 a.m. EDT (1130 GMT) at BlueOrigin.com. Liftoff is scheduled for 9 a.m. EDT (1300 GMT), but that will depend on the weather forecast and other technical factors.

A typical New Shepard flight lasts 11 minutes, and a live broadcast with the astronauts will be available at BlueOrigin.com after the landing, Blue Origin said in a press release Monday (July 12). The company will also be sharing mission updates all day via @BlueOrigin on Twitter."

https://www.space.com/blue-origin-jeff- ... ch-webcast

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

It won't actually be "crewed" in the sense of having pilot and cabin crew though. They'll be passengers on an uncrewed, pilotless flight. Perhaps that's even more amazing.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

For a chance to win two seats on the first commercial Virgin Galactic flight to space you can enter here.

https://www.omaze.com/products/virgin-galactic-2021

Winner announced in September.

I must have submitted a hundred entries already (maximum one per minute) but, as I'm not donating money, I'm guessing my entries just go in the bin. :D

:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, it's one hell of an achievement, but dear God that was boring viewing - you would have thought they would have shown some views from within the capsule, views of earth from those "extra large windows"..... NOPE, view from Earth - rocket goes up, rocket and capsule come down... FFS :roll:

The previous flight by Branson and Virgin Galactic held the interest despite some communication issues.

Anyway, congrats to Bezos & Blue Origin :thumb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57849364

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Well, it's one hell of an achievement, but dear God that was boring viewing
The take off was far more interesting than Branson's. Bezos was in an actual rocket. :D

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 pm
The take off was far more interesting than Branson's. Bezos was in an actual rocket. :D

Well, I actually found the VG launch more interesting - at least you could see some detail as to what was going on.

You'll also find that the VG "Spacecraft" is also rocket powered - the "Mother Ship" itself is jet powered.... :neener: :wink:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:44 pm
Lost wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:28 pm

Well, I actually found the VG launch more interesting - at least you could see some detail as to what was going on.

You'll also find that the VG "Spacecraft" is also rocket powered - the "Mother Ship" itself is jet powered.... :neener: :wink:
I'll be honest, I only watched the launch for both of them on YouTube (and a picture of the view from Branson's in space).

The Branson take off, for me, was just like watching any other aeroplane take off. Yes, you had the 'rocket powered' separation to blast him further but I prefer a big phallic shaped rocket blasting off straight from the ground.

When I win my free space flight seats from Virgin, I'm sure I'll appreciate the take off. :D

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 pmWhen I win my free space flight seats from Virgin, I'm sure I'll appreciate the take off. :D

You and me both my dear, dear, generous and considerate Pal...... There are two tickets aren't there..? :D
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:14 pm
Lost wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:55 pmWhen I win my free space flight seats from Virgin, I'm sure I'll appreciate the take off. :D

You and me both my dear, dear, generous and considerate Pal...... There are two tickets aren't there..? :D
There are indeed, my friend. Though I gather the small print restricts the Welsh from a seat. Something of a worry they'll be belting out Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau on take off, I believe. :laugh:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^^^
Not a diss by the way fella. Wish our lads would sing an anthem with such pride. :D