Euro 2020

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Euro 2020

Post by dtaai-maai »

They're going to restart the match! :shock:
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:17 am They're going to restart the match! :shock:
This is bizarre! A teammate just nearly died and they're gonna crack on with the match!?

Maybe Eriksen has said he wishes them to do so or something. Do it for him. Can't understand it otherwise.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:30 am Maybe Eriksen has said he wishes them to do so or something.
That's exactly what happened, according to the BBC. Apparently he's awake and stable - and probably watching the game! I wasn't watching when it happened, but well done to the medical staff.

EDIT (for pharvey...): You'd think an incident like that would discourage players from collapsing in feigned agony at the slightest touch. Sadly not the case... :roll:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:47 amEDIT (for pharvey...): You'd think an incident like that would discourage players from collapsing in feigned agony at the slightest touch. Sadly not the case... :roll:
As you say, hardly the time for myself or anyone to extract the urine from the sport or players. Obviously, I don't follow the game in great detail, but it is also obvious that Eriksen was both loved and respected both within and outside of football.

With some luck, we will see some more respect from players.... Although I have grave doubts. As someone who follows many sports, this was a very bad day!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Re: Watching the Euros 2021

Post by Zidane »

I,m sure we wish ex Spurs midfielder, Christian Eriksen, a speedy recovery after he collapsed on the pitch during the Denmark v Finland game and had to be resuscitated before being rushed to hospital.
He is said to be stable in hospital now.

Sorry just seen the posts in the Euro 2020 thread. Maybe move this post... thanks.
Last edited by Zidane on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

It was a totally bizarre match. Started watching it will all the excitement of our first ever final match. Denmark were the better team but I think both our goal and their missed penalty were due to the incident that happened in the first half. The Danes hadn't recovered from it. Thankfully Eriksen recoverd and hopefully will be out of the hospital soon. It may well be as it was with Muamba (Bolton vs Tottenham) that Eriksen will not play again but health is more important.

On a lighter side we will go to Wednesday's Russia game with interesting statistics: Finland are the only team in the world having won all their matches in the finals and having scored from all the opportunities that they have had. :thumb:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

The anti-vaxxers were out in full force on forums last night blaming the vaccine for Eriksen's collapse. The fact that he wasn't actually vaccinated didn't seem to deter them much.

:tosser:

Always good to see an underdog do well in the competition, Bamboo Grove, and I'll be wishing Finland well (though I would still like Denmark to pip them simply to give Christian something to smile about. Along with almost dying, that'll be his football career over). I remember Iceland winning the neutral's hearts last time out. You don't have the 'thunderclap' though! :D

Looking forward to the England game today. Going to give us our first good idea of where we're at as a team. Haven't played anyone of note for as long as I can remember (Croatia World Cup semi finals?). I may even make a very rare appearance in the pub to join in.

Come on lads. Do the business! (and get up off your knees, man :laugh:).

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Big blow for Portugal. Cancelo has been ruled out of the tournament after testing positive for covid. He had a cracking season at City.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:37 pm Big blow for Portugal. Cancelo has been ruled out of the tournament after testing positive for covid. He had a cracking season at City.
What happens to the the other players who've obviously been in close contact with him.....
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:23 pm
Lost wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:37 pm Big blow for Portugal. Cancelo has been ruled out of the tournament after testing positive for covid. He had a cracking season at City.
What happens to the the other players who've obviously been in close contact with him.....
Not really too sure about the protocol, mate. Bit of a weird one, isn't it. You'd have thought that if he's been training with the team (I'm assuming he has been) then the whole team would need to isolate.

Dunno the full details.

:cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I'll be wishing Finland well
Thanks, we already have three points more than I expected us to get. :D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Euro 2020

Post by Dannie Boy »

Fairly tame first half performance from England - Foden was unlucky with his shot that hit the post but not a lot else. Hoping for a better second half

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:56 pm
pharvey wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:23 pm
Not really too sure about the protocol, mate. Bit of a weird one, isn't it. You'd have thought that if he's been training with the team (I'm assuming he has been) then the whole team would need to isolate.

Dunno the full details.

:cheers:
Would open a can of worms wouldn't it? Isolate the team - can't play their Pool Matches. What do you do, award the win to the opposition, 1-0 say? Effects others in the tournament obviously - best "Third Place Finishers" for example..... NAH, my guess is UEFA will simply ignore it as too much money involved....... Stuff the rules!! :roll:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Wish Big Boy would stop watching the game. Seems the BB curse on Kane is in action today. :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's not a problem - 10 men should be fine against Croatia :duck:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance: