Wimbledon 2021

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Wimbledon 2021

Post by Lost »

A new British sensation to cheer on today at around 4pm (though she's Romanian/Chinese at birth :wink:). Wild card Emma Raducanu playing in the round of 16. I must say she is quite easy on the eye, too. Come on Emma!

GettyImages-1326794164.jpg
(151.08 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Wimbledon 2021

Post by sateeb »

Her match is the last one out on Court 1 so I doubt we will see it here before midnight.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^^^
Could be a bit later than I first thought actually. The guys on court 1 at the moment haven't even played their first set yet. Till then we have Coco to enjoy on center court (who just had her service broken on the very first game :cry: )
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

sateeb wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:16 pm Her match is the last one out on Court 1 so I doubt we will see it here before midnight.
Feck sake sateeb you cursed it! Looks like we're gonna head into a 5 set game from the chaps beforehand. :banghead:

Everyone just waiting for Emma to get on now.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:24 pm ..........though she's Romanian/Chinese at birth :wink:).
And she was born in Canada! Apparently she was brought up in London from the age of two though, so can rightfully be claimed by the Wimbledon crowd :D

Can't say I follow tennis anything like I did - and TBH never really followed women's tennis.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Listen to this interview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/57723039

She's an absolute charmer and obviously having a whale of a time. I'm not really a tennis fan, but I do like to see the Brits do well. Good luck to the lass.
Lost wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:24 pm A new British sensation to cheer on today at around 4pm (though she's Romanian/Chinese at birth :wink:)
Canadian at birth, but if you listen to her she's as English as... as... PG Tips? And mildly posh!
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:45 am She's an absolute charmer
Isn't she just! :D
pharvey wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:33 am
Lost wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:24 pm ..........though she's Romanian/Chinese at birth :wink:
And she was born in Canada!!
Canadian at birth
Ah, whatever. She belongs to us now. :twisted:

one-of-us-one-of-us-one-of-us.jpg
one-of-us-one-of-us-one-of-us.jpg (368.9 KiB) Viewed 180 times
:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Such a shame, that. Had to retire through injury. Poor girl she'll be devastated. But her future looks very bright.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:18 am :cry: :cry: :cry:

Such a shame, that. Had to retire through injury. Poor girl she'll be devastated. But her future looks very bright.
Just heard that - some reports saying illness?

As you say, obviously an up and coming star and at 18 a (hopefully) long career ahead! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:23 am
Lost wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:18 am :cry: :cry: :cry:

Just heard that - some reports saying illness?

As you say, obviously an up and coming star and at 18 a (hopefully) long career ahead! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
Yeah looked like illness actually rather than injury. She kept clutching her stomach. I remember Coco Gauff suffered similar a few years ago at 15 in the final match of her 'breakout' tournament at Wimbledon. Maybe the occasion got the better of Emma physically.

She'll be back for sure.

:cheers: