The Rugby Thread

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: The Rugby Thread

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:41 pm
pharvey wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:07 am
pharvey wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:08 amAnd Will Greenwood is off my Christmas Card list -pr*ck....... :neener:
I'll add lost "The Wendyballer" to that as he's just trying to wind me up over the beautiful game (unless reff'd by the bloody French)!! :neener: :wink: :D

:cheers: :cheers:
Not guilty, your honour! I was merely taking the piss out of myself and how much of the game I understand. :D

:cheers:
Mate, despite your extraction of the urine, I'd never really put you in the same element as Will Greenwood :wink: Let's just say I understand the rules of Wendy Football as much as you understand Rugby!! :wink: :D

Oh, and could I really put you off the Christmas list??!! :neener:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:13 am There's only 5 in the above pool Pharvey so let it loose to your local and not so local friends if you want to. :cheers:

Edit: As a side note, the All Blacks looked terrible last night against Australia, in fact Australia looked terrible too until the last 15 minutes when they scored 3 tries! :shock: Cold weather, wind etc, but they both looked way out of sync. Hopefully they'll both bounce back next week.
Thanks for setting up Pete - hopefully we'll get a few more in. Not too sure the last match between NZ and Aus is anything to go by. SA will be on a high, but very beatable (B&I Lions - wrong tactics, 4 countries....) - NZ will have a huge advantage playing all matches at "home".... Personally, I feel this is wrong.
lindosfan1 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:57 pm Come on Mr Harvey have a go, you might beat me if you are lucky. :duck: :D
Which I was in the last one :oops:
Oh I'm in!! Game on Lindosfan... GAME ON!! :D :wink:

lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:44 pm
PeteC wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:13 am There's only 5 in the above pool Pharvey so let it loose to your local and not so local friends if you want to. :cheers:

Edit: As a side note, the All Blacks looked terrible last night against Australia, in fact Australia looked terrible too until the last 15 minutes when they scored 3 tries! :shock: Cold weather, wind etc, but they both looked way out of sync. Hopefully they'll both bounce back next week.
Thanks for setting up Pete - hopefully we'll get a few more in. Not too sure the last match between NZ and Aus is anything to go by. SA will be on a high, but very beatable (B&I Lions - wrong tactics, 4 countries....) - NZ will have a huge advantage playing all matches at "home".... Personally, I feel this is wrong.
lindosfan1 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:57 pm Come on Mr Harvey have a go, you might beat me if you are lucky. :duck: :D
Which I was in the last one :oops:
Oh I'm in!! Game on Lindosfan... GAME ON!! :D :wink:

Isee you have made your picks for the first games, could you please message me your picks, then if I pick the opposite I am in with a chance. :D :oops: :bow: :duck:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:53 pm Isee you have made your picks for the first games, could you please message me your picks, then if I pick the opposite I am in with a chance. :D :oops: :bow: :duck:

England to win 20+, Harry Kane to score 2 or more tries.... What's your bet?! :wink:
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

pharvey wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:16 am
lindosfan1 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:53 pm Isee you have made your picks for the first games, could you please message me your picks, then if I pick the opposite I am in with a chance. :D :oops: :bow: :duck:

England to win 20+, Harry Kane to score 2 or more tries.... What's your bet?! :wink:
England to beat India 2-1 :wink:
Your comment brought a fantasy to mind. South Africa toplay against 15 wendyball players who keep faking injuries. I would pay good monety to watch that. :oops: :D :thumb:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:52 am Your comment brought a fantasy to mind.
I like do you Lindosfan, but...,,,, :shock: :wink:
lindosfan1 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:52 amSouth Africa to play against 15 wendyball players who keep faking injuries. I would pay good monety to watch that. :oops: :D :thumb:
Perhaps we should suggest that to the EPL...... :D

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

We have 6 players in the pool, more would be good. :thumb:

phptis5frPM.jpg
phptis5frPM.jpg (58.98 KiB) Viewed 450 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:34 am We have 6 players in the pool, more would be good. :thumb:
Well, I thought DM may have had the gonads..... but then again :roll: What about you oh Wendyfootballer "lost"?

Not sure I can invite players that I've not done so previously without it being a Pool I've set up Pete, but will take a look.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpLpiG1oPM.jpg
phpLpiG1oPM.jpg (10.85 KiB) Viewed 441 times

I think that's the default setting for any pool as I don't recall ticking a box allowing it?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Radical new laws set to transform rugby for the next year

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... dium=email

Can't say I agree with the Red Card rule change.....
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Aussie Oi Oi Oi 🦘
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

2021 TRC Match Schedule

Confirmation of Australia versus New Zealand Matches

Following the New Zealand Government’s decision to suspend travel between New Zealand and Australia for eight weeks from Friday, July 23, SANZAAR has made amendments to The Rugby Championship (TRC) match schedule and can now confirm the dates and venues for the first four matches. SANZAAR continues to work with its stakeholders on the remaining scheduled matches and will confirm these fixtures in due course.

The revised schedule will see Australia remain in New Zealand after its Bledisloe Cup match against New Zealand in Auckland on Saturday 7 August, and play the All Blacks at the same venue a week later on 14 August. The two teams will then travel to Perth for the return match at Optus Stadium on Saturday 28 August. The two South Africa versus Argentina matches remain as per schedule with both to be played in Port Elizabeth on August 14 and 21 respectively.

Furthermore, due to the ongoing travel restrictions that exist between Australia and New Zealand, SANZAAR can confirm that the two New Zealand versus Argentina TRC matches, previously scheduled in New Zealand, will now be played in Australia. SANZAAR is working with Rugby Australia and other stakeholders on the details of these two matches and will confirm the dates and venues for these along with the remaining matches.

SANZAAR CEO Brendan Morris said, "Once again the pandemic threw us a challenge in terms of our match schedule but we are delighted that a solution has been found for the two Australia versus New Zealand matches despite the restrictions on travel between the two countries. The All Blacks and Wallabies will play back-to-back weekends in Auckland with the second match on Saturday 14 August being the opening round of The Rugby Championship.”

"New Zealand will now travel to Australia for the return match in Perth on Saturday 28 August. We realise this is a week later than originally scheduled for Perth rugby fans with tickets but the pandemic and changing government health and travel regulations now in place have made our task difficult. SANZAAR also understands the disappointment for Wellington rugby fans who will now miss out on New Zealand versus Australia and New Zealand versus Argentina matches due to the rescheduling."

"We now turn our attention to the remaining eight scheduled matches. We continue to monitor the pandemic and government and health authority regulations, and are currently working through several options for these matches if any changes are required, including the New Zealand versus Argentina matches. SANZAAR would like to thank its member national unions and the government agencies it has been working with for their assistance and flexibility so far, and we look forward to confirming the venues and dates for the remaining matches in the near future," added Morris.

2021 Rugby Championship Match Schedule

Sat 14 August: New Zealand v Australia* at Eden Park, Auckland
Sat 14 August: South Africa v Argentina at Nelson Mandela Stadium, Port Elizabeth
Sat 21 August: Argentina v South Africa at Nelson Mandela Stadium, Port Elizabeth
Sat 28 August: Australia v New Zealand* at Optus Stadium, Perth
TBC: New Zealand v Argentina [to be played in Australia]
**South Africa v Australia [scheduled 12 Sept, SCG, Sydney]
**Australia v South Africa [scheduled 18 Sept, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane]
TBC: Argentina v New Zealand [to be played in Australia]
**New Zealand v South Africa [scheduled 25 Sept, Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin]
**Australia v Argentina [scheduled 25 Sept, McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle]
**South Africa v New Zealand [scheduled 2 October, Eden Park, Auckland]
**Argentina v Australia [scheduled 2 October, GIO Stadium, Canberra]

(* Bledisloe Cup matches; ** schedule subject to change due to government/health authority pandemic regulations; TBC - to be confirmed)
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, after a disappointing Lions Tour, the Rugby Championship starts...... Shan't post results in case some have the opportunity to watch the highlights or full match again.

Cracking opening game between NZ and Aus which I thoroughly enjoyed - didn't enjoy the 2nd match between SA and Argentina as much, but some exciting rugby. If you can catch NZ vs Aus, it's well worth the watch!! :thumb:

Wales will be playing 3 of the 4 this Autumn... Aus, NZ and SA - Jesus!! Add Fiji to that lineup - not easy by any means!!

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Cheers Pietro, I've been too busy banging my head against a brick wall since the final Lions game to post here. :banghead: Copious quantities of alcohol helped me forget...

I've just been watching a fantastic day of test cricket at Lords - difficult to squeeze everything in at the moment!

I've also just read the following, which I'm slightly ashamed to say had never occurred to me. Good points?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58213246
Five British and Irish Lions greats have asked World Rugby to change laws on substitutions, fearing a player could die on the field otherwise.

Four-time Lions head coach Sir Ian McGeechan has signed an open letter asking that substitutions only be made for injuries, rather than tactically.

Willie John McBride, Sir Gareth Edwards, Barry John and John Taylor also signed.

They said the game "has become unnecessarily dangerous".

The letter to World Rugby chairman Sir Bill Beaumont, also signed by consultant surgeon Professor John Fairclough, said current players did not want speak out because of "fear of losing their livelihood".

The former players quoted two-time Lions captain Sam Warburton's comments in 2019 that someone "will die during a game in front of TV cameras" if nothing is done.

"It would be grossly negligent to allow the status quo to continue," the letter continued.

"Rugby union was conceived as a 15-a-side game for 30 players. With the current eight substitutes per side, many of whom are tactical 'impact players' or 'finishers', this can and often does stretch to 46."
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:52 am I've been too busy banging my head against a brick wall since the final Lions game to post here. :banghead: Copious quantities of alcohol helped me forget...
Unfortunately, the same makes me forget numerous games BUT talk absolute gonads about those I "almost remember"... :oops:
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:52 am I've just been watching a fantastic day of test cricket at Lords - difficult to squeeze everything in at the moment!
Well, TBH I'd rather watch the rugby live and watch the "highlights" (?) of the cricket - Actually I can get the latter on the BBC News within 30 odd seconds!! :neener: Seriously, I used to enjoy cricket - will have a look again, but Rugby takes precedence!! :wink: That said, BT Sport has the "Ashes Tour", so ......
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:52 am I've also just read the following, which I'm slightly ashamed to say had never occurred to me. Good points?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58213246
Yes and no for me - you can also argue that pivotal positions like the "Front Row" are almost "engineered" to last 60 minutes and could be seriously injured being forced to last the full 80. You can argue that both sides have the same option of replacements... You can argue that the "Greats" have never been involved at this level of "fitness" and pure physical size.....

Ultimately, it's a very dangerous sport with some (quite frankly) huge, physical players - guys that are +/- 17/18/19 stone, able to run... well, fast and very hard!

Changing the laws on "Reserves/Replacements" will do absolutely zip IMHO - a "Knackered Player" IMHO is likely to be badly hurt in a physical game....