ubc satellite box wanted

Hua Hin classifieds has been reopened, please read the classifieds posting rules before you submit an ad.
sand1
Rookie
Rookie

ubc satellite box wanted

Post by sand1 »

Looking for a ubc box or another satellite box that a ubc card will work in.
There is no point in buying another ubc box for our house in hua hin when the technology is outdated and likely to change soon and we can just carry the ubc card from our house in bkk anytime we go.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Hi Sand1

Please let me know if this works.

In BKK, we have UBC via Satalite, in Cha Am we have available (should I choose to cough up for it), UBC via cable (through central satalite dish).

I've taken my UBC box from BKK to Ch Am and it doesn't work.

I've put my UBC Card in a Cha Am neighbour's UBC Box and it does work.

I'm guessing that the set up is slightly differnet between central and own-dish systems.

Please let me know how you get on

Thanks

Winkie
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hi Winkie

Just curious, when you say you brought your UBC box to Cha-am, it didn't work? I'm assuming you brought the (red?)satellite dish with you as well.

The azimuth and elevation settings in Cha-am are different from Bangkok so you'd have to aim at a quite different point in space. I believe UBC gets it's feed from the Thaicom 2/5 bird...
วินเชนท์
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Hi Vincent

No, I didnlt bring the dish with me.

I simply plugged my BKK UBC Box into the outlet in the wall of my home (which in turn is connected to a Shared Dish). For this is used the RF IN. I could tune the TV so that I could find the UBC box, but it showed an alrm, saying Operation not possible, or invalid signal or something.

I think the differnece between the box settings in BKK (using the red dish) and the required settings for the box in Cha Am (using a modulated RF feed from a central dish) are the source of my troubles. Currently by BKK box is switched to Thai Langauge menu and I've lost the book to tell me how to change to English Menu. Probably that's a good starting point, but I'm not so sure I could sort it even then.

But perhps I'll give it a try another time.

Thanks for the pointers.....

Winkie
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

What's the deal now when you want two TV's in your house on UBC but capable of showing different channels at the same time? Before, you had to buy too separate packages, and pay two monthly fees. Are things still the same? Also, does anyone know the monthly fee for a 'slave' TV, only capable of showing the same channels as what the main set is tuned into? Thanks. Pete
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I 20k inland from cha-am ,my sat and ubc box was set up with a computer so you may need a shop to reset yours.
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

prcscct wrote:What's the deal now when you want two TV's in your house on UBC but capable of showing different channels at the same time? Before, you had to buy too separate packages, and pay two monthly fees. Are things still the same? Also, does anyone know the monthly fee for a 'slave' TV, only capable of showing the same channels as what the main set is tuned into? Thanks. Pete
Pete

I have 2 boxes in my BKK home, only pay an extra THB155 per month for the additional unit. They are not slave, they are independant.

To make a slave unit, buy a wireless AV Transmitter (with remote control function). Cant remember what I paid, but it was around THB4K I think.

Can use UBC and chaange channels (using the remote control function), but of course when you change channels, you are also changing channels on the master box.

Winkie
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

nevets wrote:I 20k inland from cha-am ,my sat and ubc box was set up with a computer so you may need a shop to reset yours.
Nevets

This is a good point, does anyone know of a good shop in Cha Am, where I can buy a box, and ahve them set it up to run with my exisitng BKK UBC Card?

Winkie
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have 5 independent UBC boxes in my house. At the time (10 months ago) you could buy the extra boxes at 12,500 baht one off fee. It doesn't affect your monthly payment. i.e. you only pay as if you had one box.
sand1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sand1 »

someone suggested going into the big keng shop accross the big road from market village as they have stacks of old ubc boxes.
they might be ones that got changed when ubc changed name to true vison.
the deal is with a second box and carrying the card around that the premium movie channels don't work but the rest do.
No way would i pay the greedy true vison for a second subscription to endless repeats, blank future channels on an outdated technology.
It's great really to have english tv in asia now even if it is mostly complete crap.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I think most of the technical stuff has been said and is accurate. The satellite dish needs to be set up at its location. The reason your card does not work in your box is most likely because the cable supplier does not have you enabled to receive signals so the card tells the encoder not to decode. If yo\u have a legitimate subscription with UBC and the box takes the signal as your neighbors does from cable you should be able to get UBC to enable it but I would expect them to charge albeit at discounted rate. Another point is that if you us another input to the box the box may need configuring but as you say it recognizes to box then probably not.

If you have the correctly aimed dish in Cha Am and decode box. I think there are two models at least that UBC support then you have no problem and UBC cannot tell that you are using the card in two locations as only one location will ever be used at one time.

You could try Top Marks Hotel in Soi Poolsuk in Hua Hin. They had about 8 boxes spare when they decide to ditch UBC in the rooms. It is possible they still have them. Failing that I have heard they can be picked up at Panthip Plaza along with a cloned card for under 1000 Baht. As you don't need the card then maybe 500 Baht.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]