Switching from Work Permit visa to Retirement visa - Cha Am

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Switching from Work Permit visa to Retirement visa - Cha Am

Post by LolaBeltran »

I find myself having to switch from 10 years on annual work permit visas to a retirement visa by the 23rd of this month when my work permit gets cancelled.

I live in Cha Am and deal with the Immigration office in Tayang. I am over 65. I have more than the required amount in a Thai bank account ( 1,000,000 baht) plus my US social security monthly payments which go into my US bank.

Seems like it should be a simple thing . . .but in 20 years here, I have learned that nothing is ever as simple as first imagined. (bank statement is timed? blue book? health certificate?)

I have not yet come across a simple list of what I need to do.
I am actively seeking a local visa service for help.
Have emailed a couple advertised here.
Any and all suggestions welcome.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Re: Switching from Work Permit visa to Retirement visa - Cha Am

Post by LolaBeltran »

I have found a simple list of what is required for a retirement visa. But it isnt complete.

1. Already hold a Non-Immigrant Visa; ( Work permit/visa seems to cover this)
2. Be 50 years or older; ( check)
4. Deposit at least 800,000 baht ($27,000) with a bank in Thailand. (check)

OK . .what forms to fill out?? where to get them? how many copies? photos? other docs? blue book? How many copies of passport pages and what pages? How many copies of bankbook? Do I need a statement from the bank?

Has anyone done this recently? Especially interested in the Thayang Immigration office situation.
Thanks
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Be sure to get a "O" visa and not an "O-A". Big difference in medical Ins. requirement for O-A visa.
Try Bangkokbuddy.com. There good and reasonably priced.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Have a read of the latest posts on this thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=23918 . It doesn't specifically talk about your scenario, but it will tell you the latest requirements for a Retirement extension.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
kwajdiver
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kwajdiver »

I was teaching for five years, decided to retire, and this week I applied for an extension based on retirement. I also live in Cha Am and use Tha Yang.

My contract, visa and work permit all expired on June 29. I used the 800,000 baht in the bank method. Immigration said I needed apply on the day that my employer said that my work permit would end.
• The week of 22 June I went to Bangkok Bank and told them I needed two letters for an extension based on retirement – one letter certifying my account and another my balance for the previous two months. They knew exactly what to do. I said I would pick the letters up on the 28th. Cost was 100 baht per letter. Tha Yang said it was Ok for the letters to be dated 1-2 days before June 29.
• The morning of June 29, I withdrew some baht and went inside the bank and they updated my passbook showing a June 29 transaction. The bank made a copy of the last page of my book for me, and I signed it.

Immigration said they also needed the following:
1. Documents from the Labor Department and from my employer showing that my work permit had ended on June 29. My school did this for me. The school took my work permit and letter from the school to Labor and got the documentation required by Immigration. The school did this on the morning of June 29, met me at Immigration and gave me the documents.
2. A completed TM7 Form – with a picture, and the two documents signed by me about overstaying my visa. All these forms are available from the very helpful woman who works outside at Tha Yang.
3. My passport and a copy of all pages that have information – including my last 90-day report, address certification and departure card. All pages signed by me.
4. My bank passbook and a copy. All pages signed by me
5. I am married to a Thai woman and we own a house. The Bluebook and a copy signed by my wife. A copy of my wife’s ID signed by her, and a map to our house. We both signed the map.
6. I paid a 1900 baht fee.

I now have a retirement extension until June 29, 2022. It was a very smooth process. I was in and out in an hour. The woman who works outside is very helpful, and if you have any further questions, you should ask her.

Hope this helps.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

kwajdiver wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:33 pm I was teaching for five years, decided to retire, and this week I applied for an extension based on retirement. I also live in Cha Am and use Tha Yang.

My contract, visa and work permit all expired on June 29. I used the 800,000 baht in the bank method. Immigration said I needed apply on the day that my employer said that my work permit would end.
• The week of 22 June I went to Bangkok Bank and told them I needed two letters for an extension based on retirement – one letter certifying my account and another my balance for the previous two months. They knew exactly what to do. I said I would pick the letters up on the 28th. Cost was 100 baht per letter. Tha Yang said it was Ok for the letters to be dated 1-2 days before June 29.
• The morning of June 29, I withdrew some baht and went inside the bank and they updated my passbook showing a June 29 transaction. The bank made a copy of the last page of my book for me, and I signed it.

Immigration said they also needed the following:
1. Documents from the Labor Department and from my employer showing that my work permit had ended on June 29. My school did this for me. The school took my work permit and letter from the school to Labor and got the documentation required by Immigration. The school did this on the morning of June 29, met me at Immigration and gave me the documents.
2. A completed TM7 Form – with a picture, and the two documents signed by me about overstaying my visa. All these forms are available from the very helpful woman who works outside at Tha Yang.
3. My passport and a copy of all pages that have information – including my last 90-day report, address certification and departure card. All pages signed by me.
4. My bank passbook and a copy. All pages signed by me
5. I am married to a Thai woman and we own a house. The Bluebook and a copy signed by my wife. A copy of my wife’s ID signed by her, and a map to our house. We both signed the map.
6. I paid a 1900 baht fee.

I now have a retirement extension until June 29, 2022. It was a very smooth process. I was in and out in an hour. The woman who works outside is very helpful, and if you have any further questions, you should ask her.

Hope this helps.
Couldn't be clearer Thank you
I am sure many other expats in the same situation will appreciate :cheers:
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

You guys are all in La La Land. Try doing the same down here in Nakhon Si Thammarat. The guy in charge will throw you a curve after you have done everything else that will be difficult to achieve without a backhander (22,000 thb). We down here are in Immigration Hell with the office here.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

kwajdiver .. . .Thanks SO much for this post and info! It is most helpful and clearly lays out what I need to do before my August 31st deadline. I really appreciate the time you took to write out your post. My employer will meet me at Immigration once all is set with the paperwork. I am fortunate to have nearly two months to work on everything. I hopefully will get in done in time without the overstay . . .unless this paperwork is a necessary part of the process? Thanks again! Cheers
buksida

Post by buksida »

brianks wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:01 am You guys are all in La La Land. Try doing the same down here in Nakhon Si Thammarat. The guy in charge will throw you a curve after you have done everything else that will be difficult to achieve without a backhander (22,000 thb). We down here are in Immigration Hell with the office here.
Extras are also required in HH if you want things to go smoothly and are doing something more than a simple retirement extension, believe me.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

brianks wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:31 am Be sure to get a "O" visa and not an "O-A". Big difference in medical Ins. requirement for O-A visa.
One of the requirements to be eligible to apply for an O-A visa is that the applicant:
must have the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where application is submitted
This means you can't apply for an O-A visa in Thailand. They're only issued in Thai Embassies or Consulates abroad.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

I thought others in this province might like to hear how my switch from a work permit to a retirement visa at the Tha Yang office went. In brief . .it was successful and my paperwork was complete thanks to the careful and detailed post by kwajdiver above.

1. My employer handled the work permit cancellation. (HR there in person in fact)
2. We went to Kasikorn Bank the morning of the Immigration Appointment. I withdrew 1000 baht to show activity that day. Copied the pages in my passbook and got the letters from the bank. One letter was account activity for a long time the other a statement that I am a bank customer. They were familiar with what was needed and it was not a hassle.
3. I had my TM7 form all filled out and signed. Photo already attached.
4. I had my passport already copied along with copies of my original visa, 90 day notice and departure card.
5. I had a copy of our house blue book along with signed maps showing the location of our house. My spouse is the house owner and was with me to countersign everything.
6. Paid 1900 baht
NOTE: we had some worries about having to have a police residence certificate (yellow book? card? ) and even checked with the Cha Am police dept and were told not to worry about it.

So all in all it was an easy transfer.
Two minor issues: I discovered that my multiple reentry permit is no longer good. (Wishful thinking on my part to even have considered a multiple permit in this day and age) so when the time finally arrives for travel abroad, I need to remember to get a reentry permit.
Finally . . .it took an unconscionably long time. Nearly no customers yet we waited nearly two hours before leaving new retirement visa in hand.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help!!