House Plant Crazy

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Re: House Plant Crazy

Post by pitsch »

Here is more about the plants. I wonder who will buy a small ugly plant for millions, if you can get more beautiful plants for 100 Baht in many shops
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

We were looking at plants at the traveling market outside Big C on Wednesday. They had some big leaf plants barely out of the seed and asking prices like 5,000 baht. My wife thought that was crazy, but seems like pretty moderate compared to those reported above.

Thailand gets these crazes. Jatukham Ramathep amulets going for millions of baht some years ago. Then there was the craze where people were treating dolls as living gods and, some cases paying millions for them - called ลูกเทพ - god child.

I know that there are people who pay fortunes for Koi carp, but I wonder how long this latest craze for big leaves will last.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Everywhere in the world, not just Thailand, there are people with more money than sense/intelligence
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

My wife just informed me that this plant deal, as well as the amulets and dolls hhinner mentioned, is partly money laundering. :shock: Apparently the "technique" has been in the Thai news. There are legitimate sellers/buyers it seems, but also a lot of criminal involvement.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Would be surprised if there aren't a wealthy 'monk' or two involved somewhere deciding which plants and their features are most auspicious.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I was there earlier, it was heaving. What looking like bog standard 'cheese-cutter' plants from the UK, were selling for circa 100k.

I took a pic of this one, whatever it was, because it looked particularly unattractive. Some of the sellers there - both in and outside the Mall - must have walked away with sales in excess of 1 million baht.

20211017_181309.jpg
(279.65 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
Talk is cheap
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

What a bargain
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Leaves.jpg
Big Leaves.jpg (33.42 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
These grow around a couple of my trees. Have cut them down many times but they come back.

Now what's the difference between them and the ones selling in MV?
buksida

Post by buksida »

:idea: I'd be taking cuttings, sticking them in fancy pots, and selling them online to the idiots above that are paying stupid money for them!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That did cross my mind!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You're a millionaire HHTel (begging letter in the post :wink:)
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

LOL. Seriously though, I can't get rid of these. I just fail to understand the silly prices of similar leaves on sale.
There must be something I don't know.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:
Big Leaves.jpg
These grow around a couple of my trees. Have cut them down many times but they come back.

Now what's the difference between them and the ones selling in MV?
600,000 Baht!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I came face to face with one of these plants that people had bought in a cafe I frequent earlier today. Quite a cheap one at just 3,500฿. It had pride of place on a specially made wooden plinth. The owner said he had bought it for good luck. It wasn't the best reaction when I asked if it was good luck for the cafe, or the person who had sold it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20