Buying tea in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying tea in Hua Hin

Post by caller »

Yup, I mentioned that above. When I first saw Typhoo decaf here it was in TOPS in Thonglor and a box of 40 sold for 99 baht. But that must have been an introductory offer as it soon went up to 199 baht.

Handrunner - thanks for the info about Twining's, but it's available everywhere - probably more so here than in the UK - lol! Their English brekkie tea is, IMHO, overrated and overpriced, even in the UK, yet alone here.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Their English brekkie tea is, IMHO, overrated and overpriced, even in the UK, yet alone here.

probably true for most everything.

Generally I buy tea at MV, in the wine section and herbal teas from GoodKarma.com in Issan. Loose and in bags.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I buy tea from Lazada they have a reasonable selection
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Today I went to the ghost town, formerly known as Market Village for some food and stuff at Boots. Everything is closed except Tesco-Lotus and the pharmacies. There's a group of tables outside of Tesco, where you can order food from MK, Hachi Ban, Fuji and a few others. A clerk takes your order, phones it upstairs and it's delivered to you in about 15 mins. When I walked into MV, I looked down to aisle towards Boots and there wasn't a soul in sight. Erie. Oh yes, Tea, now I remember. There was NO tea in Tesco. None anywhere. Stopped at Villa North and the tea pickings were slim as were the number of customers. Too everyone's credit, they were all wearing masks and a few, including me and wife, wore plastic gloves.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 am I buy tea from Lazada they have a reasonable selection
They do - but the prices!

40 typhoo decaf for 298 baht!!! Some prices for Dilmah 100 tea bags were okay, others were outrageous. I think mainly cheaper in the supermarkets, but thanks for the heads up, I hadn't thought of Lazada before
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:30 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:14 am I buy tea from Lazada they have a reasonable selection
They do - but the prices!

40 typhoo decaf for 298 baht!!! Some prices for Dilmah 100 tea bags were okay, others were outrageous. I think mainly cheaper in the supermarkets, but thanks for the heads up, I hadn't thought of Lazada before
I only buy loose leaf tea and they have a reasonable selection at (relatively) reasonable prices - I recently bought 2x500 gm packs of Brook Bond red label for 404 Baht including delivery - this was a special offer and would normally have been nearer 500 Baht.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'll bump this thread in light of the "Coffee Bean Shortage" thread, in case anyone has something to add or recommend.

Drinking tea is better for health anyway, and it may turn out that we'll start drinking more of it in the morning and at other times. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

If you can get it a good strong cup of Yorkshire tea certainly hits the spot.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This one seems to be the most common here. I see it in stores in the East, Villa was the last place if I recall correctly.

240671625_1303700063413805_5845284629262221625_n.jpeg
240671625_1303700063413805_5845284629262221625_n.jpeg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 479 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I prefer the full bodied taste of tea made with tea leaves rather than teabags. I have previously mentioned that I buy Brooke Bond tea from Lazada, but on a recent trip to the UK brought back a few bags to supplement what I buy here - they can be mixed to give a balanced flavour!!
C03252BB-B2DE-4281-AB4D-78AD1A838449.jpeg
C03252BB-B2DE-4281-AB4D-78AD1A838449.jpeg (141.02 KiB) Viewed 459 times
7C30AC03-85E8-446D-ADC9-1DDC56AFBD6D.jpeg
7C30AC03-85E8-446D-ADC9-1DDC56AFBD6D.jpeg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 459 times
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know not the best tea around but you can get boxes of 100 TyPhoo tea bags on Laz for less than 100 baht - beats any shop price in HH.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/typho ... 32020.html
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

PeteC wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:51 am I'll bump this thread in light of the "Coffee Bean Shortage" thread, in case anyone has something to add or recommend.

Drinking tea is better for health anyway, and it may turn out that we'll start drinking more of it in the morning and at other times. :cheers:
There are a lot of studies that show drinking coffee is good for your health, particularly brain health.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Cimperman said drinking tea has been linked to lower risks of cancer and heart disease, improved weight loss, and a stronger immune system. Meanwhile, studies point to coffee as a potential way to head off not just Parkinson’s but type 2 diabetes, liver disease, and heart problems, Cimperman says.

Another recent study, led by Charles Fuchs, MD, director of the Gastrointestinal Cancer Center at Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, found regular coffee drinking may help prevent colon cancer from coming back after treatment.
It seems both have benefits.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news ... ter-health

As for brands of tea: My mother, a tea connoisseur, drinks Yorkshire Tea back in the UK but when she's here she says that 'Red Label' is far superior. Unfortunately, hard to get in the UK.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:43 am
Cimperman said drinking tea has been linked to lower risks of cancer and heart disease, improved weight loss, and a stronger immune system. Meanwhile, studies point to coffee as a potential way to head off not just Parkinson’s but type 2 diabetes, liver disease, and heart problems, Cimperman says.

Another recent study, led by Charles Fuchs, MD, director of the Gastrointestinal Cancer Center at Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, found regular coffee drinking may help prevent colon cancer from coming back after treatment.
It seems both have benefits.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news ... ter-health

As for brands of tea: My mother, a tea connoisseur, drinks Yorkshire Tea back in the UK but when she's here she says that 'Red Label' is far superior. Unfortunately, hard to get in the UK.
It’s available from Amazon but at quite a premium - more expensive than it is here at almost double the price!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:34 am I know not the best tea around but you can get boxes of 100 TyPhoo tea bags on Laz for less than 100 baht - beats any shop price in HH.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/typho ... 32020.html
I hate tea, but I've ordered 5 boxes for the family and visitors - the price seems very good.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20