Bid to prevent oil slick reaching Chumphon/Prachuap shore

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Bid to prevent oil slick reaching Chumphon/Prachuap shore

Post by PeteC »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... land-shore (Photo)

The Marine Department and Royal Thai Navy are trying to prevent oil leaking from a sunken tanker from reaching the coastline in Chumphon and Prachuap Khiri Khan provinces.

The department worked with the Tor 114 patrol boat and navy aircraft to contain an oil slick off Chomphon by deploying booms and using a solvent on Saturday night.

Deputy Transport Minister Athirat Rattanaseth said on Sunday that oil was drifting towards the coast in Pathiu district of Chumphon and three neighbouring districts of Prachuap Khiri Khan to the north: Bang Saphan Noi, Bang Saphan and Thap Sakae.

The Transport Ministry oversees the department.

The oil leaked from the Por Andaman 2, which sank on Saturday night while anchored about 24 nautical miles off Muang district of Chumphon. The tanker, belonging to Thai Laemthong Fishery Oil Trade Co based in Samut Prakan and with six crew on board, was carrying 500,000 litres of diesel oil when it sank to a depth of 50 metres.

Mr Athirat said all crew members were rescued by another ship, but the stricken tanker could not be salvaged due to strong winds and rough seas.

Navy spokesman Vice Adm Pokkrong Monthatphalin said the slick was about 10 kilometres long and moving in a northerly direction. He was concerned that more diesel might leak from the vessel.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Re: Bid to prevent oil slick reaching Gulf of Thailand shore

Post by buksida »

That'll mix nicely with the tons of plastic trash that has washed up on the beaches here over the past month.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Re: Bid to prevent oil slick reaching Chumphon/Prachuap shore

Post by buksida »

I know nobody cares because it isn't about Covid, but apparently, a second spill has been found...

Another oil spill was detected on Wednesday from a sunken oil ship in the Gulf of Thailand.

The Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency said the 40-kilometer wide oil spill occurred when a diesel oil transport ship, Por Andaman 2, which carries 500,000 liters of oil, went down 24 nautical miles off the coast of Chumphon on January 22.

272626029_478777506943121_6568508104492604413_n.jpg
272626029_478777506943121_6568508104492604413_n.jpg (177.45 KiB) Viewed 375 times

Nothing on beaches in the area ... yet.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

A bit harsh to say nobody cares. On a personal level I read your story with interest but found that I didn't need to comment further.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

sateeb wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:11 am A bit harsh to say nobody cares. On a personal level I read your story with interest but found that I didn't need to comment further.
Just a loose observation based on the fact that anything not regarding Covid is mostly ignored on the forum these days.

This story is very close to home for me, quite literally! :shock:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:29 am
sateeb wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:11 am A bit harsh to say nobody cares. On a personal level I read your story with interest but found that I didn't need to comment further.
Just a loose observation based on the fact that anything not regarding Covid is mostly ignored on the forum these days.

This story is very close to home for me, quite literally! :shock:
I’m almost of the other persuasion and anything other than Covid interests me!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Interested, yes. Anything to comment - not yet. The Navy are hopefully going to sort it before it becomes worth commenting on. If it comes ashore, that is when the comments will start.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So, it's all gone quiet. Has it just been over-shadowed by the Rayong spillage, or have the Navy done a great job cleaning it up? Did any make it ashore?

Points 51; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I read something that the big shots have given the Navy/Salvage people 10 days (?) to raise the vessel. Good luck to them in that time frame given the size of the ship. I would hope they have pumped the remaining oil out of it before they try to bring it up.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

There was nothing on the beaches of Bangsaphan Noi over the weekend.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Although it is still not good, they are dealing with light diesel fuel oil, not the horrible thick black crap that is crude oil.
Ii is more inclined to both evaporate and desperse than crude oil.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That all sounds quite positive, although, like Pete, I'm sceptical about raising the sunken vessel. Weren't there 2 vessels that sank?

Points 51; Position 21