Bin men and recycling

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Bin men and recycling

Post by Big Boy »

I took my daughter to the driving licence centre in Pranburi this morning. I stayed in my car in the car park whilst my daughter went inside to do her business. Whilst sat there, I saw something that I thought was pretty amazing. It also answered a question I posted here a while back.

The bin truck turned up in the car park, and I was amazed when I realised that the team of people hanging off the back of the truck weren't putting rubbish through the crusher at the back of the truck, but they were sorting the contents of every bin into recyclable categories. There were a series of sacks tied strategically around the back of the truck and the sorters were categorising every item and placing into the correct sack. Only genuine rubbish went through the actual trash crusher into the back of the truck. As each category of sack was filled, it was sealed and placed on top of the truck, and a new sack took its place. My stomach did turn a little when one of the sorters found his breakfast, and he took a standing meal break :shock:

I don't know if this is standard for all waste collection trucks (ours usually turns up in our street after dark), but it would explain why some items (I wrote about bags of dog waste before) are left on the ground beside the bins.

I must say, I was very impressed with this recycling effort in Thailand.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Bin men and recycling

Post by buksida »

Must be a Hua Hin thing - refuse collectors will refuse to collect unless everything has been pre-sorted and separated where we are. Hence a lot of household trash gets dumped in the nearest field.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Many I've seen in the east do the same thing, with the bags hanging and the sorting routine. We routinely sort everything anyway, not by type but just recyclable and place all that into a separate bag.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:55 pm Must be a Hua Hin thing
This was a Pranburi, not Hua Hin thing, although I have seen evidence (bags of dog waste left behind) in Hua Hin. I've also seen the trucks with bags hanging around the back.

What I have seen in our small, narrow soi is sometimes a small electric tuk tuk type vehicle will turn up, and rather than tip our bins, rubbish is moved from the bins, bit by bit to the tuk tuk, so maybe getting sorted at the same time.

Points 48; Position 20
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

In the two developments I've lived in here in HH the recyclable trash has either been sorted by the bin men(the "Gulag" I left) or development staff at my new dwelling prior to collection.
These days I do try to sort my trash into non and recyclable bags.

Looks like the "trash nazis" have infiltrated Bang Saphan :laugh: :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The job of a bin man in Thailand has got to be one of the worst jobs known. Very unlike the west were collected waste does not come into contact with the people collecting it.
True or not, I would suggest that the recyclable sorted by the bin men are sold on and the proceeds divided for the bin men themselves. Not a criticism but a good incentive for the work done. I hope the bin men get the benefit of sorting the rubbish rather than the companies involved.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

As I stated in the OP, meals are included in the job :run:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Or even on the job!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I did debate in/on, but as his breakfast came from within a bin, I opted for in.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

In or on, I’m sure it will come out the same!!

But back to your original question, although it’s not one of my subjects of expertise, I’ve not noticed the binmen in our area do regular sifting of contents - only if they spot something “lucrative” do they pull it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk