I need to ship a large item to Bangkok cheaply.

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

I need to ship a large item to Bangkok cheaply.

Post by 404cameljockey »

Hi all,

I had a fire in my gas barbecue (don't ask, after long disuse, a hidden rubber hose had perished) and need to ship it, as they can't repair here.

Kerry I guess will be expensive, it's a full-sized three burner job with lid, plus side ring for soup/liquid, and storage area with doors underneath.

Is there any 'man with a van' service in Hua Hin? Hopefully I'll want it brought back too!

Cheers.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: I need to ship a large item to Bangkok cheaply.

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:29 pm Hi all,

I had a fire in my gas barbecue (don't ask, after long disuse, a hidden rubber hose had perished) and need to ship it, as they can't repair here.

Kerry I guess will be expensive, it's a full-sized three burner job with lid, plus side ring for soup/liquid, and storage area with doors underneath.

Is there any 'man with a van' service in Hua Hin? Hopefully I'll want it brought back too!

Cheers.
In the past for moving motorcycles, people have suggested using the rail service?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:54 pm In the past for moving motorcycles, people have suggested using the rail service?
I think that has been post office.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Can it be dismantled at all and shipped in 3 or 4 separate cartons? If so, you could try asking Kerry or Flash (Flash has higher weight limits, I think).

Man with a truck would work but could be more expensive. Plenty of pickups around with adverts hanging on them (รับส่งของ, รับขนของ, etc.)
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Does the repair shop say how they'd send it back?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:11 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:54 pm In the past for moving motorcycles, people have suggested using the rail service?
I think that has been post office.
I think you’re correct :thumb:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:33 pm Can it be dismantled at all and shipped in 3 or 4 separate cartons? If so, you could try asking Kerry or Flash (Flash has higher weight limits, I think).

Man with a truck would work but could be more expensive. Plenty of pickups around with adverts hanging on them (รับส่งของ, รับขนของ, etc.)
I don't think I could break it down sufficiently, the carcass will still be one huge piece. I think the pickup is the only way forward.
Last edited by 404cameljockey on Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

hhinner wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:34 pm Does the repair shop say how they'd send it back?
I'm not sure, I assumed as they require me to send it, they'd expect me to arrange return, but I guess I could try to negotiate that (if they're still selling in Hua Hin then they should in theory be able to transport for me). It's Gas King, and Hafele seem not to sell their kit any more.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Thanks. I could see difficulty/expense then in getting it from the train depot to Sukhumvit where their main office is. And then there's the same the other way. 😁

If a pickup could do it for 2000 baht each way it would be worth it, the unit cost 30k to buy so replacement isn't viable for me unless I downgraded the new one.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:03 am
Thanks. I could see difficulty/expense then in getting it from the train depot to Sukhumvit where their main office is. And then there's the same the other way. 😁

If a pickup could do it for 2000 baht each way it would be worth it, the unit cost 30k to buy so replacement isn't viable for me unless I downgraded the new one.
If you are pleased in the 2,000 baht price range maybe contact a couple of the taxi services that do HH-BKK for 1,500-2,000. They probably won't take it in their people carrier but perhaps they have access to a pickup.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you are talking 2,000฿ each way, have you asked the company if they have a collection/delivery service? I had to return a washing to Bangkok a couple of years ago for repair. I think it cost me about 500฿ each way.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

migrant wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:02 am If you are pleased in the 2,000 baht price range maybe contact a couple of the taxi services that do HH-BKK for 1,500-2,000. They probably won't take it in their people carrier but perhaps they have access to a pickup.
Hi, yes I think that's the easiest option, unless I can borrow a pickup. My wife and I need to spend time on BKK most weeks at the moment for medical reasons, I guess I could drive it. My brain's a bit full this year but life must go on. Thanks.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:30 am If you are talking 2,000฿ each way, have you asked the company if they have a collection/delivery service? I had to return a washing to Bangkok a couple of years ago for repair. I think it cost me about 500฿ each way.
Thanks BB. They refused to repair in HH but agreed to check it if I sent it to BKK, but I think that was actually my suggestion. I should definitely ask them if they would undertake the transport instead. I maybe missed a trick there so I will. I think they would have offered if they do it. But hey, TIT 😁