Tiger Woods

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: Tiger Woods

Post by PeteC »

Tiger Woods says his days of being a full-time golfer are over: 'Never full time, ever again'

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/29/golf ... index.html

(CNN)In an exclusive interview with Golf Digest, Tiger Woods spoke publicly about his golfing future for the first time since his car crash earlier this year.

"I think something that is realistic is playing the tour one day, never full time, ever again, but pick and choose, just like Mr. (Ben) Hogan did," Woods told interviewer Henni Koyack.

"Pick and choose a few events a year and you play around that. You practice around that, and you gear yourself up for that. And you play. I think that's how I'm going to have to play it from now on.

"It's an unfortunate reality, but it's my reality. And I understand it, and I accept it."

Woods began the remote interview from his South Florida home by walking into the room with what he called a slight "hitch" in his stride, evidence of the serious leg injuries suffered in a car crash near Los Angeles in February.

Woods says during his grueling rehabilitation, things as simple as watching his son play or listening to birds sing have taken on greater meaning.

"I have so far to go. ... I'm not even at the halfway point. I have so much more muscle development and nerve development that I have to do in my leg. At the same time, as you know, I've had five back operations. So I'm having to deal with that. So as the leg gets stronger, sometimes the back may act up. ... It's a tough road.

"I'm just happy to be able to go out there and watch Charlie play, or go in the backyard and have an hour or two by myself with no one talking, no music, no nothing. I just hear the birds chirping. That part I've sorely missed."

Woods will be in attendance at the Hero World Challenge in the Bahamas this week. The 20-man tournament benefits Woods' foundation.

Woods is scheduled to hold his first media availability since the crash at 9:00 a.m. ET Tuesday in New Providence, The Bahamas.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Tiger Woods

Post by PeteC »

Tiger Woods plays 18 practice holes at Augusta National amid Masters speculation

https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2022/03 ... 648593389/

March 29 (UPI) -- Five-time Masters winner Tiger Woods, who is attempting to return from major leg and foot injuries that he suffered in a car crash about 14 months ago, played a practice round Tuesday at Augusta National Golf Club.

Sources told ESPN, Sports Illustrated and Golf Channel that Woods played all 18 holes with his son, Charlie, and fellow PGA Tour pro Justin Thomas. The 46-year-old Woods was seen on the driving range with Thomas before their practice round.

Woods and his team arrived Tuesday morning at Augusta Regional Airport after a short flight on his private jet, stirring anticipation that he was preparing to compete in the Masters. Due to its plentiful hills and length, Augusta National is considered one of the toughest walks in competitive golf.

Currently, Woods is listed among the expected 91 participants for next week's Masters, the first major championship of the 2022 season. However, he has yet to officially confirm whether he will play in the tournament.

Woods, a 15-time major champion, hasn't played in a regular PGA Tour event since the 2020 Masters, which took place in November that year because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

This wouldn't be the first time that Woods has tried to return at the Masters after a long layoff. Following multiple knee and back surgeries, he won the 2019 Masters -- his first major championship in 11 years.

Woods suffered serious injuries to his right leg and right foot in a February 2021 car wreck. The SUV that he was driving crossed through two oncoming lanes, hit a curb and uprooted a tree on a downhill stretch in Rolling Hills Estates, just outside Los Angeles.

The star golfer was transported to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center by ambulance. He suffered open fractures in the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula in his right leg that almost led to its amputation.

At a news conference before The Genesis in mid-February, Woods said he was unsure when he would play again.

"I wish I could tell you when I'm playing again," Woods said. "I want to know, but I don't. My golf activity has been very limited. I can chip and putt really well and hit short irons very well, but I haven't done any long stuff seriously. I'm still working.

"I'm still working on the walking part. My foot was a little messed up there about a year ago, so the walking part is something that I'm still working on -- working on strength and development in that. It takes time. What's frustrating is it's not at my timetable.

"I want to be at a certain place, but I'm not. I've just got to continue working. I'm getting better, yes, but as I said, not at the speed and rate that I would like. You add in the age factor, too. You just don't quite heal as fast, which is frustrating."

In December, Woods played in the unofficial PNC Championship with his son, Charlie. The 36-hole event was a scramble, and he was allowed to use a golf cart, but he did do some walking at the tournament.

This past weekend, Woods played at Medalist Golf Club in Hobe Sound, Fla. In the since-deleted video, Woods was seen walking and playing with his caddie, Joe LaCava.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source