Songkran 2022

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Songkran 2022

Post by handdrummer »

Taf in Cha-am wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:57 pm
handdrummer wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:30 am
HHTel wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:09 pm And quite specific about mixing with others:

"Avoid having meals or drinking alcoholic beverages with others!!

So having a cuddle and drinking a smoothie with others is quite safe. What a load of crap.
Just practicing for future people control.
If China can lockdown 6 million at a time in Shanghai, there's no reason that Thailand can't lock down the same amount in Bangkok at any given time for any given reason.
All card-carrying members please present your ID to the camera at your door, before leaving your place of residence.
. . . make that 18 million, HD. I'm one of them!
Been locked in our neighborhood for 12 days now, and cannot leave the apartment until April 5th at the earliest. Wild times . . .
i"m sorry you're in that situation. Do you plan to remain in China?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Guys, can we keep the Covid comments to the numerous Covid threads please?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Songkran travellers can enjoy FREE parking at Suvarnabhumi airport from April 11-17

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/so ... pril-11-17

There’s good news for those flying out of Bangkok during the Thai New Year. You can now park your car at Suvarnabhumi Airport Zone C for FREE during the entire Songkran period, as the parking fees are being scrapped from April 11 to April 17.

Zone C is zoned for long term parking and has 700 parking spaces. Airport authorities reportedly made the decision in order to help travellers from spending too much money during their Songkran celebrations. But first come, first served.

Airports of Thailand expect a high number of passengers during the long holiday. They have advised travellers to arrive at the airport a few hours before departure for both international and domestic flights.

Suvarnabhumi International Airport will also provide a complimentary shuttle bus service from the car park to the terminals. It will run every 15 minutes for 24 hours a day from now until next Sunday.

Flight bookings have been at their highest level for nearly two years with slowly increasing international arrivals mixed with the Songkran ‘rush’. Domestic airlines have all added additional flights for the Thai New Year.

Songkran runs, officially, from Wednesday to Friday this week but many have already started heading home and making a full 9 day holiday this year. Be prepared for packed roads, and flights, heading back into the capital next Sunday!

SOURCE: Nation
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I avoid going out as much as possible during Songkran but this morning we had to venture from our home near Cha Am towards HH, although going we went along the Klong and back on the main road. Much to my pleasant surprise, there was no sign of any celebrations and no children (or adults) with their water pistols or buckets looking to get you as you passed - has it been like this generally in the area?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Couple of places in Tap Tai yesterday were splashing but good natured and didn't soak me on my bicycle.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Dannie Boy wrote:I avoid going out as much as possible during Songkran but this morning we had to venture from our home near Cha Am towards HH, although going we went along the Klong and back on the main road. Much to my pleasant surprise, there was no sign of any celebrations and no children (or adults) with their water pistols or buckets looking to get you as you passed - has it been like this generally in the area?
Yesterday around midday I rode my bike along from SmoPhrong to Dinosaur to Petchkasem, along to HH soi 2 and khlong road back to SmoPhrong. I saw no sign of any water splashing, not even little kids.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Watching this Bangkok Post video, it dawned on me that the word "Sanuk" should be stricken from the Thai language. It doesn't apply any longer, and it may never come back? :(

https://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/thailan ... k-songkran
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Indeed - only in Thailand are there police raids for toy water guns ... "you vill not have fun by order of ze Führer"

278594836_5394767673875454_6288621399848643992_n.jpg
278594836_5394767673875454_6288621399848643992_n.jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 850 times

Police on Thursday confiscate water guns from street vendors and revelers on Khaosan Road, while checkpoints have been set up to enforce water splashing ban.

Government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana says PM Prayut Chan-o-cha worried that last night's water party could lead to a new COVID cluster and ordered authorities to enforce health measures strictly. Water splashing is banned in public spaces.

City Hall police made an announcement in English warning foreign tourists on Khao San Road Thursday before 6pm they could face a fine of up to 20,000 baht if engaged in water fight or foam party.

Khaosod English
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Should be a Caption Competition photo :shock:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know it is The Sun, but this sort of insanity is making the news overseas.

Tourists banned from splashing WATER in holiday hotspot – and you could be jailed for two years
https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/1826265 ... land-jail/

And a local one ...

Thailand deploys troops to Khao San Road to combat water splashing tourists
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/songkra ... g-tourists

TAT's new slogan: "Welcome to Thailand, if you don't get scammed at the airport, you'll definitely get fined."
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Does this mean that police water cannon are a similar health risk?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:18 am Indeed - only in Thailand are there police raids for toy water guns ... "you vill not have fun by order of ze Führer"

278594836_5394767673875454_6288621399848643992_n.jpg

Police on Thursday confiscate water guns from street vendors and revelers on Khaosan Road, while checkpoints have been set up to enforce water splashing ban.

Government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana says PM Prayut Chan-o-cha worried that last night's water party could lead to a new COVID cluster and ordered authorities to enforce health measures strictly. Water splashing is banned in public spaces.

City Hall police made an announcement in English warning foreign tourists on Khao San Road Thursday before 6pm they could face a fine of up to 20,000 baht if engaged in water fight or foam party.

Khaosod English
"a foam party?" Is that like a Nuru massage?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Blaming covid transmission is a nonsense. The virus doesn't pass through water. "People are unlikely to wear masks when splashing water!". So what! With water fights, there is less likely to be infected droplets in the air for people to breath. In my opinion, water fights in the open air are more likely to reduce any spread of the virus.

Just another example of control of the masses.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It has nothing to do with reality, any of it. It has to do with "This is what I want and command". The spreading and obnoxious authoritarian disease.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

PeteC wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:53 pm It has nothing to do with reality, any of it. It has to do with "This is what I want and command". The spreading and obnoxious authoritarian disease.
There are currently 57 authoritarian countries in the world.

Google: how many authoritarian countries are there?