Kerry - a rant!

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Kerry - a rant!

Post by thecolonel »

So I have just been to the Kerry parcel office to have a parcel delivered which was clearly unopened for reasons which will become clear.

After doing the labels etc the young lady then told me to produce my passport. I then explained that I didn't actually have my passport on me but I had a clear photograph of my passport in my phone and that I had used this in that office on at least six occasions before.

She then insisted several times I must now produce the *original passport. And so I had to go to my room(frustrating).

After coming back to the office I asked her very politely to explain to me why it is the policy of her company for people to produce an original passport/ID to simply send a parcel, but specifically an item which was clearly innocuous.

She said it was because in the past some people had try to send 'illegal' products.

My issue is not with the staff (who are only doing their jobs). It is with the Kerry management who cannot give the simple latitude to their staff to see that eg in my case today the parcel I was trying to send was simply a pair of shorts and that was clear for anyone to see. They could even get a colleague to verify if necessary

So why can't they be given the responsibility to decide that this was clearly a legal harmless product and therefore they didnt need to ask the customer to produce his passport??

I would totally understand if it was a sealed package as could be suspicious/dangerous.

And of course all they do with my passport is take the number down, which is very clearly on my photo version on my phone library. They don't even scan or photo it.

Does anyone use anyone else (J&T?)- are they the same?

End of rant

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

PeteC

Re: Kerry - a rant!

Post by PeteC »

I've never seen Thai office support staff, in any environment, given the latitude to make any decisions at all. It's all by the book as directed by management. Such is business life for these girls and guys here.

Very similar to how the entire country is run.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It's no different at the Post Office.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:It's no different at the Post Office.
If I'm reading your post correctly.....

I've never been asked for passport at the post office

I've possibly been asked for passport number but that's partly my point re Kerry(ie why insist on original passport when all they do is record the number?)

Ps on reflection not sure if I've ever sent a 'parcel' from Post office. Might have always been just documents/papers-possibly why they've never asked for passport??

Last edited by thecolonel on Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

PeteC wrote:I've never seen Thai office support staff, in any environment, given the latitude to make any decisions at all. It's all by the book as directed by management. Such is business life for these girls and guys here.

Very similar to how the entire country is run.
"Very similar to how the entire country is run."

Ain't that the truth!

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

thecolonel wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:54 pm

I've possibly been asked for passport number but that's partly my point re Kerry(ie why insist on original passport when all they do is record the number?)

Ps on reflection not sure if I've ever sent a 'parcel' from Post office. Might have always been just documents/papers-possibly why they've never asked for passport??
You need your passport for:
Sending international
Sending by EMS

In my experience anyway.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:54 pm

You need your passport for:
Sending international
Sending by EMS

In my experience anyway.
I've only ever sent papers to the UK from Hua Hin main Post Office on Soi 61

Never been asked for passport on those 5 or 6 occasions over the past 4 years or so

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Even though my name is on the package, my wife takes it to the window and she's never been asked for my passport or her ID number. I think there's a familiar pattern here.