Language schools in Hua Hin

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
Larry
Novice
Novice

Language schools in Hua Hin

Post by Larry »

Anybody know a good language school in Hua Hin for adults ?
For speaking Thai but also English (for my GF).

Guess it must be difficult to open up now in times of Corona..
Thanks
Big Boy

Re: Language schools

Post by Big Boy »

Sirada on Petchkasem - they will do what you need. My son is fluent and can read/write Thai after a couple of years with them. They teach English also.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I second the recommendation of Sirida. I’ve been attending for nine months now and they’re great. Of course, as with anywhere, you only get out what you put in. Learning a language anywhere, no matter how competent the instructors, ultimately relies on the efforts of the student.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Jack_Batty wrote:I second the recommendation of Sirida. I’ve been attending for nine months now and they’re great. Of course, as with anywhere, you only get out what you put in. Learning a language anywhere, no matter how competent the instructors, ultimately relies on the efforts of the student.
Very true, it’s not easy for the older generation unless you’re one of the rare bread who has a flair for languages so it requires full commitment to get the desired results - I too would recommend Sirada - they managed to help me learn the basics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Same as the above comments, highly recommend Sirada, ask for kru Oh you can give my name if you wish
Larry
Novice
Novice

Post by Larry »

Thanks , will give them a try.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

I came to Thailand in October of 2019 on an ED visa, arranged through Sirida. I am still there and we are starting a new session on March 14th. It is advanced reading and writing and I am in a class with two other guys, who have been through all of my sessions since the start of my studies. Both are retired guys, one is Welsh and the other is from England. I am reaching out to see if anyone in town would be interested in joining us. We will meet Monday and Wednesday from 10am to noon. I think it would be much more fun and interesting if we had more students, and it truly is a good time, if you are interested in honing up on the local language. It’s a very casual atmosphere and the teacher is enthusiastic and knowledgeable.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Jack_Batty wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:16 pm I came to Thailand in October of 2019 on an ED visa, arranged through Sirida. I am still there and we are starting a new session on March 14th. It is advanced reading and writing and I am in a class with two other guys, who have been through all of my sessions since the start of my studies. Both are retired guys, one is Welsh and the other is from England. I am reaching out to see if anyone in town would be interested in joining us. We will meet Monday and Wednesday from 10am to noon. I think it would be much more fun and interesting if we had more students, and it truly is a good time, if you are interested in honing up on the local language. It’s a very casual atmosphere and the teacher is enthusiastic and knowledgeable.
Well, I dropped out. There were four recent instances where the teacher either cancelled the class via LINE as I was walking up the steps, or was stuck at Immigration running visas through the system. On those occasions, the owner of the school just came in the class and made small talk with us for the two hours. We were still charged, but I recall learning nothing of value. The school simply does not have the staff to deal with issues like that.

I’ve found that I am learning a vast amount more by just going out and engaging the locals everyday. Yes, my reading was improving in the class, but that is must because I’m lazy away from the structure of school. My only reading, when not in class, is street signs when out and about, and the subtitles on shows I watch. That’s on me though. I really think that if anyone wants to learn Thai, while IN Thailand, the last place they need to be is in a dang classroom. Unless they need the ED visa. I get that. I used that when I first came here. YT offers far more than enough content to learn Thai every single day, rather than twice a week, like a school offers.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I would imagine that the initial school learning was a big help but now that you’ve progressed beyond the basics you’ve found that you can learn more by engaging with local Thai speakers.

Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:58 pm I would imagine that the initial school learning was a big help but now that you’ve progressed beyond the basics you’ve found that you can learn more by engaging with local Thai speakers.

Yes. I was hanging on, I think, for mainly the social aspect. The two remaining students in my class had been with me since I came here almost three years ago. We are vastly different in personalities and life experience, but it made for great conversations and friendships. I’ll miss them. The school and teachers…not so much.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Language schools in Hua Hin

Post by HHTel »

My daughter spent a one year sabbatical on an ED visa with Sirada. This was pre-covid and she still recounts it as an excellent experience.
In her work she often comes across Thai domestics/chefs and impresses them with her knowledge of Thai. Even after a few years she can still read quite well and her comprehension has remained with her.

As has been pointed out, a language school is an excellent place to get the basics but once done then the world of realtime learning opens up.