The Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA)

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: The Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA)

Post by HHTel »

So if my daughter puts embarrassing pics of me on FB, I can sue her and send her to jail..... what power!!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Business group seeks PDPA delay

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/23 ... pdpa-delay

The Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking (JSCCIB) has asked the government to delay full enforcement of the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) until clear directions are issued and 20 organic laws completed.

Sanan Angubolkul, chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, addressed the media after a meeting with the JSCCIB.

Mr Sanan said concerns were expressed about enforcement as well as punishments related to the PDPA, which went into effect on Wednesday.

For these reasons the JSCCIB will ask the government to consider delaying application of PDPA laws.

The JSCCIB also suggested that state agencies help the public and private sectors better understand PDPA laws and allow time for adjustment, he said.

Meanwhile, Minister of Digital Economy and Society (DES) Chaiwut Thanakamanusorn said that an important part of the PDPA is protecting people's personal data from being used wrongly, particularly in the matter of online purchases.

To that end, if vendors wish to retain their customers' personal data including address and mobile phone number, permission is required if they are to comply with the law.

If someone's personal data is found to have been used without consent, the data owner can file a lawsuit.

The penalty for improper data use carries a fine of up to 1 million baht and a maximum jail term of one year, Mr Chaiwut said.

However, some exceptions and allowances are made regarding PDPA enforcement, for example if one person's information or images are included in another person's post uploaded to social media and done so without malicious intent.

Mr Chaiwut added that personal information made public via the reporting of legal proceedings is likewise exempted.

Some details of PDPA laws, however, remain vague and must be clarified, for instance images taken from security camera footage, he said.

4323922.jpg
4323922.jpg (77.96 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Pixelated/censored company logs, partial nudity, blood, smoking, guns, gambling, alcohol, and now faces/people ... Watching TV in Thailand in 2023 be like ...

pixels.jpg
pixels.jpg (62.25 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Caption Competition

Post by sateeb »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:30 pm To comply with PDPA, future caption competition will have faces obscured. It would make our lives easier if the caption poster could do this themselves, but if they aren't able, we will do it for you. e.g.:

Just a quick aside..How does this PDPA thingy affect facebook etc posts?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Re: Caption Competition

Post by PeteC »

sateeb wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:59 pm
Big Boy wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:30 pm To comply with PDPA, future caption competition will have faces obscured. It would make our lives easier if the caption poster could do this themselves, but if they aren't able, we will do it for you. e.g.:
Just a quick aside..How does this PDPA thingy affect facebook etc posts?
I don't think any of it is set in stone yet, but see the Q & A #2 above concerning social media.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think it will be like defamation, pulled out of the bag when it suits.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:34 pm Pixelated/censored company logs, partial nudity, blood, smoking, guns, gambling, alcohol, and now faces/people ... Watching TV in Thailand in 2023 be like ...

pixels.jpg
If you have G-TV, it's already like that, or rather just a blackout.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I noticed that when I bought some insurance online for the Thai Pass last night, there was a box where you could opt out of having your data sold on that wasn't there a couple of months ago.
buksida

Post by buksida »

STEVE G wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:47 pm I noticed that when I bought some insurance online for the Thai Pass last night, there was a box where you could opt out of having your data sold on that wasn't there a couple of months ago.
:lach: Implying that it was openly sold/abused beforehand.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:04 pm
STEVE G wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:47 pm I noticed that when I bought some insurance online for the Thai Pass last night, there was a box where you could opt out of having your data sold on that wasn't there a couple of months ago.
:lach: Implying that it was openly sold/abused beforehand.
Those were my thoughts, I checked the box but it was a bit futile as presumably they sold all my data the last time I bought the same insurance!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Of course, everyone sells data. I'm always getting advertisements via DTAC on my phone. On my computer, I have an ad blocker, so I'm not pestered there.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know nothing about DTAC, but certainly, if you ask AIS, all ads will be stopped within 24 hours.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:26 pm I know nothing about DTAC, but certainly, if you ask AIS, all ads will be stopped within 24 hours.
Thanks, I'll have a word with DTrash.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Everyone is starting to blot out faces, even a general photo such as below showing a beach in Jomtien that has been taken over by vendors of every description, dividing up the turf and fighting for their territory! :banghead:

It's strange though that Thaiger didn't blot anything in the main story, just the Facebook supplemental photo.

php6uYDDBPM.jpg
php6uYDDBPM.jpg (77.93 KiB) Viewed 156 times

https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/mor ... ch-vendors
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

A good reason to wear masks; no blotting is needed.

Masks For Mankind.

Please send you donations to: --------------------------