Muay Thai - The Real Cost

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Muay Thai - The Real Cost

Post by Big Boy »

As I write this, I'm watching the final part of a 'Inspired by Real Events' series about Muay Thai called Hurts Like Hell, which has actually been very good.

As part of the series, they are saying Every Thai Boxer comes from a very poor background. Kids all over Thailand go into Muay Thai because it costs them nothing, and there is decent money to be made.

I'm puzzled by this statement because I see all Muay Thai Gyms charging, sometimes high fees. So is this another example of dual pricing - one price for Thais and one price for Farangs? I know several families who send their kids for Muay Thai training and they are charged. Or is the TV series wrong about training costs?

I must admit, seeing all of the young kids doing road running for Muay Thai, I have often wondered how their parents could afford it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Muay Thai - The Real Cost

Post by HHTel »

I know one individual who loves the sport. She's a Thai and has changed her gym several times because of the price. She has had to give it up for periods because she just couldn't afford it.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, that was certainly my understanding, but if you look around, many of those running the roads don't look as though they have 2 x 1 Baht coins to rub together.

I don't think they were talking about the 'Farang Bait' camps set up around Hua Hin to draw the Farang shilling. I don't think there's anything wrong with these camps by the way. There must be a market, and they are providing a needed service. Many Farangs want to try Muay Thai when they visit Thailand.

The series, which was Thai (dubbed in English) was talking Muay Thai camps set up all over Thailand being funded by gambling (I thought it was illegal here, but funding by gambling was a major theme of the series), sending kids out to fight as their way out of the gutter. It was certainly food for thought, and I'll be looking at those kids road running differently in future.

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by migrant »

I wonder if it could be a government program funded by seized gambling proceeds (after some pocket deductions). When I was young in the states the police had the "police athletic league" in the inner cities. They taught us boxing and sponsored matches as we progressed. Some went on to golden gloves, a national competition ( I didn't last long in golden gloves I discovered women!!). The program was mean't to keep inner city kids busy and away from crime and drugs. it worked pretty well, good numbers attending.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The series didn't suggest any government involvement, nor did it suggest any restriction on gambling. I've never been inside a proper Mai Thai Stadium, but it seems gambling is very open.

Points 48; Position 20