Thai national coming to visit farang at home (UK)

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Thai national coming to visit farang at home (UK)

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thanks Pete.
Sorry your wee lad had to endure that. As painful for yourself too I can appreciate.
Wondering how realistic it would be to get her a British passport before Christmas...
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I see the forums’ sponsor - Key Visa Thailand offer the service. If using them saves us a trip(s) to the city of anger then big +4me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, it saves 2 trips to Bangkok, and many of us on here use the service. However, time will most definitely be your enemy.

Regarding travelling on just a Thai passport, my daughter did it twice with my eldest granddaughter about 18 years ago. If nobody else comes up with anything, I will ask her what hoops she had to jump through. I doubt that part of the rules has changed a great deal.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, please remember, this experience is quite a few years back, but AFIK the rules on infants haven't changed.

Application paperwork to be submitted is the same, but as a dependent of Mrs GN she will just piggy back on Mrs GN's reason for travel, financial support, etc. My daughter says providing Mrs GN's application is OK, the baby's application should be a formality.

Points 48; Position 20
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Thanks B.B.
I'm thinking it better to attack from both angles and work on the Thai passport + U.K. passport together. However a friend of mine you recently went through the process seemed to think GN-Jr would need her Thai passport first.
Cheers,
GN.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, the Thai passport bit will be important, and you can drive to Petchaburi and back in a day to sort that - not a huge problem - essential to apply for a UK visa. The British Passport just means she can by-pass the UK visa bit, which should be easy, but takes time, which you don't have a lot of. Definitely tackle it from both angles. If she gets the UK visa but doesn't need it, it won't be a problem. The important thing is move fast.

From memory, I seem to remember both parents need to authorise a child's Thai passport, so I guess that might focus your attentions today :D. I may be wrong - my experience goes back a long time.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I would think for the UK Passport, a UK Birth certificate has to be issued first by the Embassy here, right?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GN, going back to your original question, does Mrs GN apply for a visa each time she visits, or does she have a multi-entry visa?

My original answer was based on Mrs GN applying for a visa and baby GN piggy backing. If Mrs GN has a multi-entry visa, I guess baby GN would have to make her own application, somehow linking it to Mrs GN. I would still imagine a relatively easy process, but to different to what my daughter did.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:36 am I would think for the UK Passport, a UK Birth certificate has to be issued first by the Embassy here, right?
Yes, I’m Going back 16 years but that’s what my brother in law had to do when he had a daughter born in Thailand with his Thai partner (not wife) and then he got her a British passport - I’m sure it was easier back in those days!!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

The U.K. passport doesn't seem to be a quick option right now as I must be in Thailand and send my passport away with the application. As I'm heading away soon for a job and not back for 1-2months.. we would be running out of time.

Took heed of B.B's advice and just returned from Petchaburi.

Wow! I was expecting this to be the usual T.I.T. drama. Fortunately I was quite wrong. In and out in what felt like 10-mins.
The passport application office is located in Robinsons mall.
No queues and the staff were exceptionally friendly. Of course, it helped having GN-Jr there as the girls loved the new (very good looking!) baby.

Requirements:
Child in person with a big smile for the camera (ours was fast asleep which didn't seem to be an issue).
Mother in person with Thai I.D.
Father in person with passport.
House registration document (blue-book) where the child is registered.
Birth certificate (Thai)
1,000thb (40thb for postage if required) - costs around 3,700thb for a U.K. PP!

This will be for a 5-year passport* and we have been told it will be ready in a week. Hard to believe it will be ready that quick considering the drama it takes to get a U.K. passport.
*GN-Jr is a month old at the moment, do you think her passport photo will reflect her in 5-years time :?

Very positive experience so far.
Next step - Visa.
Mrs. GN has a 10-year visa so hopefully this will help smoothen the process.

Cheers,
GN.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

*GN-Jr is a month old at the moment, do you think her passport photo will reflect her in 5-years time
If we had a photo we might be able to tell!

A bit concerned about this part as well. I thought that you were the father?
(very good looking!)
From her mother I guess. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Tsk tsk Nereus.
Delighted she got her mothers looks.
Unfortunately my skin though. Mossies will love her and she won’t last 20-mins in the sun without going a brighter shade of chompoo..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk