'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Re: 'How To' - Requirements for visa extensions etc

Post by bigston »

"I really do wonder what makes some, thankfully very few, so awkward."

its their job... and its just that little bit of power to boot......
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

bigston wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:48 pm "I really do wonder what makes some, thankfully very few, so awkward."

I dealt with her once, she is evil.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

handdrummer wrote:
bigston wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:48 pm "I really do wonder what makes some, thankfully very few, so awkward."

I dealt with her once, she is evil.
I concur ImageImageImage

YNWA!

YNWA
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I relocated to Thailand in 2013 on a Non-immigrant O-A visa. I’ve done the annual renewal myself for the last 9 years. The first two years my wife and I each used the 800,000 baht in the bank method ( 1,600,000 baht total ). Then for several years we used the US Embassy letter method. When that option went away several years ago, I switched to the 65,000 minimum baht monthly bank wire transfer method and my wife switched to “follow” my visa as my spouse. This was right about the same time Thailand implemented health insurance requirements for people here on an O-A visa. The last 3 years I’ve had to buy a health insurance policy with 400,000 baht inpatient coverage, my wife is not required to buy the insurance as she “follows” my visa. The first year the cheapest health insurance policy I could buy cost 18,000 baht (with 50% deductible). Then less expensive policies became available and the last 2 years I’ve only had to pay 7,700 baht per year, with a large deductible, for an insurance policy that is so small that I will never use it. My wife and I own substantial health insurance policies written by foreign companies that unfortunately do not meet the immigration visa renewal requirements. AA has confirmed that this year the mandatory insurance will increase from 400,000 baht to 3,000,000 baht. They don’t know if this will become effective September 1st or October 1st but it will definitely be in effect when I do my next Visa renewal in January. It’s possible that Thailand will allow foreign insurance policies, AA advises we’ll need to wait for announcements in September-October before we will know. If they don’t allow foreign insurance policies then I’m faced with needing to buy a much more expensive health insurance policy to meet the 3,000,000 baht limit. A friend in a similar position was recently quoted around 65,000 baht for a 3,000,000 baht policy. Currently health insurance is not required for Non-immigrant O visa, only for the O-A. I’m making plans for my wife and I to cancel our O-A visas by leaving without a re-entry permit, coming back in on a 30 day “tourist” visa exempt and applying for Non-immigrant O visas. The minute my visa is voided, my wife’s is also voided. We are planning for her to have 800,000 baht in her bank account to facilitate her Non O application. I may have to have a separate 800,000 in my bank account, or it’s possible I can use my previous 12 month history of monthly transfers to meet my financial requirement. Another site suggested that some immigration offices allow the monthly transfer method for initial Non O applications while other immigration offices do not. Does anyone know if Hua Hin Immigration Office allows the monthly transfer method for initial applications for the 90 day Non O visa ?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Scout wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:49 pm I relocated to Thailand in 2013 on a Non-immigrant O-A visa. I’ve done the annual renewal myself for the last 9 years. The first two years my wife and I each used the 800,000 baht in the bank method ( 1,600,000 baht total ). Then for several years we used the US Embassy letter method. When that option went away several years ago, I switched to the 65,000 minimum baht monthly bank wire transfer method and my wife switched to “follow” my visa as my spouse. This was right about the same time Thailand implemented health insurance requirements for people here on an O-A visa. The last 3 years I’ve had to buy a health insurance policy with 400,000 baht inpatient coverage, my wife is not required to buy the insurance as she “follows” my visa. The first year the cheapest health insurance policy I could buy cost 18,000 baht (with 50% deductible). Then less expensive policies became available and the last 2 years I’ve only had to pay 7,700 baht per year, with a large deductible, for an insurance policy that is so small that I will never use it. My wife and I own substantial health insurance policies written by foreign companies that unfortunately do not meet the immigration visa renewal requirements. AA has confirmed that this year the mandatory insurance will increase from 400,000 baht to 3,000,000 baht. They don’t know if this will become effective September 1st or October 1st but it will definitely be in effect when I do my next Visa renewal in January. It’s possible that Thailand will allow foreign insurance policies, AA advises we’ll need to wait for announcements in September-October before we will know. If they don’t allow foreign insurance policies then I’m faced with needing to buy a much more expensive health insurance policy to meet the 3,000,000 baht limit. A friend in a similar position was recently quoted around 65,000 baht for a 3,000,000 baht policy. Currently health insurance is not required for Non-immigrant O visa, only for the O-A. I’m making plans for my wife and I to cancel our O-A visas by leaving without a re-entry permit, coming back in on a 30 day “tourist” visa exempt and applying for Non-immigrant O visas. The minute my visa is voided, my wife’s is also voided. We are planning for her to have 800,000 baht in her bank account to facilitate her Non O application. I may have to have a separate 800,000 in my bank account, or it’s possible I can use my previous 12 month history of monthly transfers to meet my financial requirement. Another site suggested that some immigration offices allow the monthly transfer method for initial Non O applications while other immigration offices do not. Does anyone know if Hua Hin Immigration Office allows the monthly transfer method for initial applications for the 90 day Non O visa ?
Depends on which officer you talk to. I suggest that you see the head man, he sits around the corner to the left. He's by the book but fair.
The other thing to be aware of is the information for a retirement visa that you read on the immigration website may be different from the information that you get from the local office.
You may want to consider having a representative do it for you the first time. Either that or go to the local office at least a week before you apply and ask them what is
needed.
If you don't speak Thai, bring someone who does.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

lomuamart wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:47 am I got one from Bluport a couple of weeks ago and all I needed was myself, my passport and 1,000 THB.

The officer did the form on the computer from my passport and took a photo and that was that.

I'm not sure if main Imm are so tech savvy. You might well have to fill a form in there and submit a passport photo.
Are we saying here that I can get a single or multiple re-entry visa from Blue Port.

Also without filling in paperwork and without photo?

:cheers:
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

That's what happened to me with a single entry mid July.

I took a photo but it wasn't necessary. They used one of those desk cameras.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

lomuamart wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:23 pm That's what happened to me with a single entry mid July.

I took a photo but it wasn't necessary. They used one of those desk cameras.
Many thanks will make a trip soon....
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Until Immigration stopped accepting the US Embassy letter I used the income method of extending my stay. I'm now using the money-in-the bank method. This means that I have to visit the bank on the same day I visit Immigration to get my passbook updated and the required letter about my account.

It always amazes me that every time we go to Kasikorn bank to get the letter they seem amazed that someone would make such an unusual request. I've now smartened up and have a copy of last year's letter on my iPad so the clerk can use it as a template when typing the letter in to their computer.

Am I really the only one in this area (Korat) who asks for such a letter, or is Kasikorn simply not organized well enough to store such things as form letters on their network server for the convenience of their staff?

I suspect the latter. I have a few other issues with Kasikorn that are OT for here. Suffice it to say I am not much impressed.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I use BKK bank and when I turn up annually I just state "immigration" and it's done in minutes, mostly done by a couple of keystrokes. Letter produced and an entry into the bank book. Never had any further dialogue.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Kasikorn in Market Village have always been very efficient with Immigration letters.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

As I’ve suspected all along, "Korat Sucks"'!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

This means that I have to visit the bank on the same day I visit Immigration to get my passbook updated and the required letter about my account.
Maybe in Korat they want the letter dated the same day, but the rule in one place says 3 days, and another place 7 days. Just did mine in Hua Hin last week and my letter was issued on Friday, and submitted on Monday without question.

I also use Bangkok Bank money in the bank method without any problem. Just make sure that the balance in the book is the same as in the letter.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:36 pm Kasikorn in Market Village have always been very efficient with Immigration letters.
Same with Kasikorn in Bluport as well. They know what is needed and will arrange everything for you.

When I lived in Korat, I always used Kasikorn in The Mall as there was an English speaking lady there who would always assist foreigners and she was great. But if she wasnt there it was a nightmare. But that was a few years ago now.

Edit - why not change your main address to this area and then get the extension in Hua Hin or Tha Yang?
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Has anyone used an 'agent' recently to get the annual extension without showing funds? Does that still work?
The reason I ask is that it's always peed me off having 800K in a Thai bank which effectively I can't touch.
With the pound tanking like never before, I would much prefer to use that money instead of transferring from the UK at a ridiculous rate, hoping that sometime in the near future it will recover.