Where to travel to avoid Thailand rainy seasons?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Where to travel to avoid Thailand rainy seasons?

Post by thecolonel »

bigston wrote:Lombok, such a nice place, un xxxxed so far by mass tourism
been there many times in the "rainy season " for them and you wouldn't even know it was rainy season
Thanks.

And 2 golf courses too. Could always do both. A quick search says it's a 40 minute flight between Bali and Lombok

Buksi, yes I won't like Bali if its like downtown Patong. Hopefully like Phuket it's not all like that. So I'd play golf and stay in the suburbs

The other place that appeals to me is Bogor about 1 hour south of Jakarta as loads of golf there

But there seems to be about twice as much rain in Oct versus Bali/Lombok

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

As mentioned Bali. We were there a month ago and had some rain. The locals were complaining saying the rainy season was over.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You may want to consider northern Australia and New Zealand as well, not that many more hours than Bali. It would be their Spring so don't know what the weather would be like.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Aren't Australia experiencing extreme rainfall this year also?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Yes Australia's eastern seaboard some 3000 km plus has been hammered for the past 6 months or more
some huge stretches for more than 18 months
seasons hardly exist now
not the place to be in spring at present
have friends from HH currently in Sydney, he is a mad keen golfer, not one round yet in 3 weeks
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

PeteC wrote:You may want to consider northern Australia and New Zealand as well, not that many more hours than Bali. It would be their Spring so don't know what the weather would be like.
New Zealand have just had snow in South Island as best pal lives there

Brisbane is 9hr 20
Bali is 4hr 20

So Jakarta/Bali/Lombok currently winning the race

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

bigston wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:00 pm Lombok, such a nice place, un xxxxed so far by mass tourism
been there many times in the "rainy season " for them and you wouldn't even know it was rainy season
It's 20 years since I was there but I really liked Lombok.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Just spent 2 months in the south of Spain. Not a drop of rain and very reasonable cost of living.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Been thinking about this a lot since our return from the UK (where the weather was much better than here).

As most of you know, we get a LOT more rain than just a couple of hours up the coast in Hua Hin. Every time I've looked at the satellite image recently, there is a huge swathe of rain stretching from around Thapsake down to Suratthani, but very little north of Prachuap (exactly the case at the moment). Our area seems to get it as the screenshot I just took shows and this pattern has intensified over the past 3 years.

Satellite image taken at 11.15, Oct. 19.
Satellite image taken at 11.15, Oct. 19.
rainsville.jpg (90.55 KiB) Viewed 909 times

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to rent an apartment in Hua Hin or Kanchanaburi to get away from the deluge down here for a few months (I could also get away from the power cuts and screeching roosters). :idea:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

buksida wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:19 am

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to rent an apartment in Hua Hin or Kanchanaburi to get away from the deluge down here for a few months (I could also get away from the power cuts and screeching roosters). :idea:
Good idea! I've got scotch :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

migrant wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:16 pm Good idea! I've got scotch :cheers:
So have I :naughty: ... its the only thing keeping going through the saturated misery down here in the boonies.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I think that Hua Hin is in a microclimate and the weather goes around it. There's a similar situation just north of Seatle, Washington. It's like a banana belt and doesn't get most of the weather that hits Seatle.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've noticed when you go down to that area in the South of Prachup Khiri Khan that you see a lot of rubber trees being cultivated and rubber needs a lot of rain to be commercially viable.
I remember some years ago that there was a bit of talk about new resorts developing down there and I took a drive down to take a look and it was one of the first things I noticed, that and the fact that it was raining when we'd left blue skies behind in Hua Hin!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

buksida wrote:Been thinking about this a lot since our return from the UK (where the weather was much better than here).

As most of you know, we get a LOT more rain than just a couple of hours up the coast in Hua Hin. Every time I've looked at the satellite image recently, there is a huge swathe of rain stretching from around Thapsake down to Suratthani, but very little north of Prachuap (exactly the case at the moment). Our area seems to get it as the screenshot I just took shows and this pattern has intensified over the past 3 years.

rainsville.jpg

If you regularly return from UK when you did then yes, on the way down from airport stop off in HH for 1 or 2 months until early Nov.

Then head on South for the best weather of the year I'm guessing?