Putin to attend Apec summit in Bangkok

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Putin to attend Apec summit in Bangkok

Post by Nereus »

WTF is this all about? And his Chinese mate may also be along!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... pec-summit
Russian President Vladimir Putin has accepted Thailand's invitation to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) summit in Bangkok next month, according to a security source.

Kim Jong-un will feel left out!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Re: Putin to attend Apec summit in Bangkok

Post by buksida »

What does anyone expect from Thailand's despotic leaders? Maybe they're looking for inspiration from like-minded megalomaniacs and dictators. :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I would be really surprised if he attends. If he does, he must be really comfortable of his position back home, as it would be an ideal time to remove him from power. Yet alone target his plane or him for the time he is here. Would you trust Thai security?

And what of the reaction of other nations? How will they fare if seen to be hobnobbing with Putin - how would it be viewed in their own Countries. I can imagine the US pulling out for a start.
Talk is cheap
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I read a while back that the politicos here in Thailand were taking a neutral stance on the war, not backing either side. I can't remember where I read it though.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Biden said he was too busy - a relatives wedding I think I read.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:50 pm Biden said he was too busy - a relatives wedding I think I read.
His Granddaughter. Its all being hosted at the Whitehouse. VP Harris is coming.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Be interesting to see if Xi attends too. There were rumours of an attempted coup a month ago.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

migrant wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:14 pm I read a while back that the politicos here in Thailand were taking a neutral stance on the war, not backing either side. I can't remember where I read it though.
That's always Thailand's stance. Put a finger outside the window to feel which way the wind is blowing, then, if things go wrong, blame the wind.
buksida

Post by buksida »

This goes some way to explain Thailand's pro-Putin stance ...

OPINION: SHOULD WE BE PROUD OF THAILAND’S ABSTENTION IN UN VOTE?
It was asked by an up-and-coming journalist from a neighboring country earlier this week why Thailand chose to abstain from voting to condemn Russia for its annexation of Ukrainian territories in a shambolic referendum during the latest U.N. General Assembly emergency special session in New York on Wednesday.

Well, while 143 states endorsed the resolution to condemn Russia, including seven of our ASEAN neighbors, namely, Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Malaysia; Thailand was among the 35 states who chose to abstain.

The list of the 35 states includes our neighbors and former client states of the USSR such as Vietnam and Laos. Others in the group of abstentionist states are Sudan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Eritrea, and China – basically mostly dictatorial states and you know what I mean.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/ ... n-un-vote/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

This week Prayut and MBS did a deal to buy crude oil at a discount. Criminals have to stick together.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No he's not, but Xi is, as well as attending the summit in Bali before that.

I'm anxious to see how long he'll stay in quarantine when he gets back to China, and how many Covid tests he's forced to take to show he is truly "one of the people". (Throw up now!)

I doubt we'll even see him in a mask the duration of his visits. :tosser:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Putin is avoiding both the G7 summit and the APEC meeting - no doubt trying to avoid any assassination attempts.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Interesting isn't it that the below comes out on the eve of Xi's trips. Softening up the ground for his avoidance of the rules upon his return. :roll: :roll:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-63594255
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:09 pm Putin is avoiding both the G7 summit and the APEC meeting - no doubt trying to avoid any assassination attempts.
He should worry more about the comrades walking at his side rather than anything else.