Thailand hikes national park entrance fees, dual pricing remains

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Re: Thailand hikes national park entrance fees, dual pricing remains

Post by PeteC »

Take a look at Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa who sets the rates for things like this. He I believe is from the same "useless foreigners" way of thinking as the health minister. When his daddy was PM he wasn't too keen on farangs either, so he's grown up with that thinking IMO.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think most of us expats are old enough and wise enough to work out if a dual charge is ripping us off. We simply decide there and then if the charge is acceptable to us. Generally I avoid such rip-offs like the plague, but if I would really like to see something/go somewhere, these charges aren't so great as to stop me.

A typical example is the Phraya Nakhon Cave. I went/paid once, and really loved it. If we have visitors, I'll still take them, because I think it's worthwhile, but I'll go for a stroll along the beach while they're at the cave. However, whilst I'll still take visitors to the local floating market, I will not hold back on my feelings about the place, and try to dissuade them. I'd rather drive them to one of the decent markets near Ratchaburi where there is no charge, and they're fairly authentic.

It is a decision that we're all big enough to make. It isn't a case of one size fits all.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Maybe it all comes down to what we are willing to do and what we can afford to do.
I can be stubborn and say, "No," I won't pay Farang prices or I can say, "OK," it is what it is and I want to see the attraction, or, I literally can't afford it and won't go.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:06 pm I think most of us expats are old enough and wise enough to work out if a dual charge is ripping us off. We simply decide there and then if the charge is acceptable to us. Generally I avoid such rip-offs like the plague, but if I would really like to see something/go somewhere, these charges aren't so great as to stop me.

A typical example is the Phraya Nakhon Cave. I went/paid once, and really loved it. If we have visitors, I'll still take them, because I think it's worthwhile, but I'll go for a stroll along the beach while they're at the cave. However, whilst I'll still take visitors to the local floating market, I will not hold back on my feelings about the place, and try to dissuade them. I'd rather drive them to one of the decent markets near Ratchaburi where there is no charge, and they're fairly authentic.

It is a decision that we're all big enough to make. It isn't a case of one size fits all.
I recently saw an article, in one of those advertising-type magazines found in shops, that wrote about a park and said that the entrance fee for Thais is 40 baht, and for foreigners, 400 baht. Any found a bigger rip-off?
buksida

Post by buksida »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:54 am I recently saw an article, in one of those advertising-type magazines found in shops, that wrote about a park and said that the entrance fee for Thais is 40 baht, and for foreigners, 400 baht. Any found a bigger rip-off?
Yes, the first post of this thread reports that prices in some parks have been hiked to 500 baht for foreigners.

I can't remember the last time I paid a stupid price to look at a waterfall, I simply don't go to them anymore.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'll looking around in Buriram this week (weather permitting), and I'm sure I'll be ripped off. I will take a few pics of entrance fees if I can.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I only had to pay once today, which surprised me. When I paid, it wasn't too much, although when the guy saw me photographing the price board, he tried to stand in front - fortunately, Thais aren't very tall :laugh:

As usual, price for Thais was in Thai - clever people? Mrs BB didn't have to pay because she's a wrinklie (over 60).

IMG_4473.jpg
IMG_4473.jpg (189.53 KiB) Viewed 747 times
IMG_4474.jpg
IMG_4474.jpg (159.49 KiB) Viewed 747 times

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

20 vs 100, and 30 vs 150. Only 5 times as much. Cars get in cheaper than Farangs.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

At least cars were the same price, regardless of which nationality was driving.

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Proving, without a doubt, that farangs are more valuable than cars.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

What this trip has told me is that despite some stupid dual pricing policies, there is still plenty to see that is free. 3 days away now, and I've only had to pay once.

Points 48; Position 20