Locations that serve a "good" Amercian / English breakfast.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Locations that serve a "good" Amercian / English breakfast.

Post by huahin4ever »

I have heard The Connection Cafe in Soi 94 has English breakfast. Anyone tried it? I believe it is run by Tony & Jim in Hua Hin: https://youtube.com/@tonyandjim7349

YNWA

YNWA
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sort of related to breakfasts, I thought this a good one for BB:
'Sausage expert' Mike Parry tricked into eating 'lovely' vegan replacement

Mike Parry, who is extremely offended by vegan diets, joined Jeremy Vine's show to campaign for people to stop calling vegan sausages 'sausages' - but he didn't exactly make a great case for himself.

After the 'sausage expert' went on a rant about plant-based meat, Mike was asked to taste two sausage sandwiches and identify which one was vegan.

Asked if he would like any red or brown sauce with his sandwiches, Mike turned down the offer, claiming that the extra flavours couldn't 'disguise' which one was which.

Hoping to preserve his title, Mike had a helping of both sausage butties put in front of him and, after just a few bites, he was pretty confident he had the right answer.

"It is absolutely obvious to me that this first one is the false sausage. That is not real sausage, that is cardboard", he announced, through a mouth full of sausage.

"The second one is clearly real sausage. I can taste the meat in it. It was luscious and lovely - tastes like the one I had this morning. This is the winner."

That's why Jeremy was almost giddy when he got to reveal that Mike had, in fact, eaten two different plant-based sausages and the real, meaty sausage had been hidden under his desk.
https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/ ... o24-KJCvPo
buksida

Post by buksida »

Had the English breakfast at Nany's on Soi 88 over the weekend and wasn't impressed - it has gone downhill. Much smaller servings (even the 'Big Boy' which my son had) and higher prices. Sausages were tiny, half a spoonful of mushrooms out of a tin, black pudding questionable (though I've been spoilt in Scotland), and all very greasy. Don't think I'll be back there for brekkie.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, unfortunately, in an attempt to keep prices down, quality sausages have been sidelined by most breakfast establishments, and replaced by increasingly poor quality pretenders. AFAIK, the only places still serving top quality sausage are Oasis, Fishing Lodge and one other (sorry, I can't remember the name). Harrys does probably the best pretender, and his sausages are a meal in themselves. In fact if you eat a Harrys big breakfast, you probably won't eat anything else for the rest of the day.

I've actually given up trying for the quality sausage any more, and most sausages available rate 1-5 on a scale of 10. It is such a shame, because a decent sausage should be the heart of the breakfast.
wasn't impressed - it has gone downhill
As with most things, you get what you pay for. With so many breakfast places offering breakfast at lower and lower prices, the quality sausage is becoming a thing of the past. However, it makes the concessional trip out to the fishing lodge, a very special treat indeed.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:12 am As with most things, you get what you pay for. With so many breakfast places offering breakfast at lower and lower prices, the quality sausage is becoming a thing of the past.
I wouldn't describe it as low-priced either, the large one was nearly 300 baht. :shock:

As with most things these days - price goes up, content and quality goes down.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow :shock:

That goes to show how long it is since I tried a Nannys.

The name of the place I couldn't remember was Cha Ame.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I buy a lot of stuff from Nany's but I wouldn't call it a restaurant anymore. It's a SHOP with mostly a good stock at reasonable prices.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, can't fault the selection they have in there (though the identical NZ lamb legs were 20% cheaper in Makro :duck: )
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:I buy a lot of stuff from Nany's but I wouldn't call it a restaurant anymore. It's a SHOP with mostly a good stock at reasonable prices.
Correct. And they make no effort to cater(pun intended) for the 'dining in' customer any more. Dirty tables and chairs. Stock all over tables that you need to sit at.

However, to be fair, there's no denying that their small breakfast at 110 baht is still excellent value for money. It's just a pity that the dining environment is now so poor that the super price is somewhat irrelevant

I'd rather pay more and have somewhere nice and quiet to sit

I was all geared up to go to Andreannas yesterday but thankfully I checked on Google maps just before I left and saw he was closed on Tuesdays

Not tried Fishing Lodge yet but not sure I ever will. I'm sure it's a great Brekky but even if it's the best in the HH area it's just too bloody far for people who live in town and/or haven't got a car. 17 km round trip. Nah!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Re: Locations that serve a

Post by Big Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:05 pm Not tried Fishing Lodge yet but not sure I ever will. I'm sure it's a great Brekky but even if it's the best in the HH area it's just too bloody far for people who live in town and/or haven't got a car. 17 km round trip. Nah!
I don't disagree, but it's nice to treat yourself occasionally.

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:05 pm Not tried Fishing Lodge yet but not sure I ever will. I'm sure it's a great Brekky but even if it's the best in the HH area it's just too bloody far for people who live in town and/or haven't got a car. 17 km round trip. Nah!
I don't disagree, but it's nice to treat yourself occasionally.
Indeed, if I had already laid out for a car I would happily make a pleasant afternoon trip out of it, shopping on way back etc

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:05 pmNot tried Fishing Lodge yet but not sure I ever will. I'm sure it's a great Brekky but even if it's the best in the HH area it's just too bloody far for people who live in town and/or haven't got a car. 17 km round trip. Nah!
Which is how many of us feel when places in town are recommended that really need a bike rather than a car, or are just a hassle to park near to, or you get stuck in traffic. Out of town you can get around much quicker and there are many nice places to eat at generally.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Correct. And they make no effort to cater(pun intended) for the 'dining in' customer any more. Dirty tables and chairs. Stock all over tables that you need to sit at.
They only have one table inside in a corner and never seen anyone sat there. There are two tables outside.

They are far from interested in a 'restaurant service' any more. The place is jam packed with fridges, freezers and shelves. Their kitchen is used for baking bread, muffins, sausage rolls and the like.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

One of the things this thread puzzles me about is why so many of you seem to seek out so many different brekky venues. There are quite a few less than average reviews here. I can understand if your favourite place has folded for whatever reason, but if you find a great place, why not stick with it? I doubt most have such a brekky more than once or twice a week, if that.

For me, an English style brekky is the one meal where it's all about the food and nothing else. Like when I was an early bird in London, the lads I worked with always sought out the binmen's cafe's for excellence and one in Cromwell Road became a regular. Many wouldn't have dared to cross it's door, it looked so rough - and that was just the people eating there!

It's the same for me here, I don't care about decor, location, comfort or any of that, I just want a guaranteed quality fix of stodge. There is nothing better.
Talk is cheap
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

^ Aye, well said. I feel the same.