Locations that serve a "good" Amercian / English breakfast.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Locations that serve a "good" Amercian / English breakfast.

Post by handdrummer »

There is a typical English breakfast, as posted by several people, but there is no typical American breakfast. If you go to a restaurant in the US, you order whatever you want, usually ala carte.
I suppose you could make an argument for bacon, eggs, toast and coffee but that would depend on what part of the country you were in. In the South, it would be grits, yellow or white and maybe 2 eggs and coffee. In the West, a Mexican breakfast, in the Mid-West, pancakes or waffles, eggs, bacon, toast and coffee, on the West coast, whatever.
The country is too vast and diverse to pin down one type of breakfast, or anything else, with the exception of shooting people, that's nationwide.
kwajdiver
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kwajdiver »

When talking about American breakfasts, don’t forget biscuits and gravy – especially in the Southern U.S.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

kwajdiver wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:58 am When talking about American breakfasts, don’t forget biscuits and gravy – especially in the Southern U.S.
Those are eaten at anytime of the day or night, and frequently accompany fried chicken and mashed potatoes. 3 carbs and a protein for a balanced meal.
kwajdiver
Amateur
Amateur

Post by kwajdiver »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:14 pm
kwajdiver wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:58 am When talking about American breakfasts, don’t forget biscuits and gravy – especially in the Southern U.S.
Those are eaten at anytime of the day or night, and frequently accompany fried chicken and mashed potatoes. 3 carbs and a protein for a balanced meal.
Likewise, eggs can also be eaten anytime of the day – “we serve breakfast all day.”
I used to love country ham and eggs for supper….
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I tried the English breakfast at the recently opened Yings Cafe on Soi 94, just down from Double Kiss

See photo

I chose the medium size option at 179 baht

Eggs were a bit of a car crash but that was just a Chefs mistake. Bacon was one very small piece which in itself is rather disappointing. Comes with tea/coffee.

There is a larger version for 239 I think (don't quote me)

Overall not a bad effort and the general environment is fairly pleasant if not slightly awkward with its open plan style.

However for the same price the breakfast at Nits in Soi 102 is vastly superior, and is the best in Hua Hin IMO

However I'm happy that Yings is at least another option for me locally

Next on my radar is Burgers and Beers in MV Image

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:12 am
404cameljockey wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:31 am A traditional American breakfast should be bacon, eggs and pancakes/flapjacks, maybe with jam, honey, buttermilk, ice cream (yes, on the same plate) or whatever for the pancakes, and of course good hot and strong coffee. But I've seen all sorts served up, even including hot dog sausages.
Thankfully, I've never come across one of those in Thailand, let alone Hua Hin. Actually, I don't remember being offered ice-cream with my breakfast in the US either. As for plastic sausages, please don't go there. I obviously went to the wrong right places :laugh:
It's true. Went to Florida a few times, many breakfasts in Perkins or Denny's. They'll eat the eggs and bacon, and then the waffles with syrup, or buttermilk, jam, or other from the same plate. Maybe New Yorkers don't, I have no idea. My kids had no problem with following suit.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That is a Thai trait in many breakfast places also. Toast and jam on the same plate as your breakfast. No separate knife for butter or jam either.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:32 pm That is a Thai trait in many breakfast places also. Toast and jam on the same plate as your breakfast. No separate knife for butter or jam either.
You’ve got a 👅 haven’t you :duck:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, and it is well used, but I'd prefer a side plate and butter knife :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

coincidentally, only yesterday my daughter (currently in the US) sent me a pic of a breakfast with eggs, bacon, waffles and syrup all on the same plate. She thought it was a mistake but was told it's normal.
I have to agree with her comment "Very weird people!"
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

HHTel wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:40 pm coincidentally, only yesterday my daughter (currently in the US) sent me a pic of a breakfast with eggs, bacon, waffles and syrup all on the same plate. She thought it was a mistake but was told it's normal.
I have to agree with her comment "Very weird people!"
Yes very normal over the past 25 years in my experience - never wanted to try it though!!
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We decided to try Burgers and Beer this morning.

First impressions were a little overpriced compared to other places in town. However, we ordered 3 breakfasts - 2 Big Boy and 1 Regular:

Big Boy:

Breakfast1.jpg
(158.79 KiB) Downloaded 15779 times

Regular:

Breakfast2.jpg
(212.29 KiB) Downloaded 15779 times

The breakfasts themselves were quite good. Even the sausages hidden under the bacon in both photos) were surprisingly very good - big as well :dance:. When trying somewhere for the first time, I always go for the larger size, and give my son (a.k.a. The Dustbin :D) what I can't manage. He ended up with an extra hash brown, slice of bacon and 2 tomatoes. I was stuffed with what I'd eaten already, which was good.

I'm glad I tried it, and it was a decent portion of good food for the money. However, for me, coffee is essential with breakfast, and the cups were quite small.

Overall, I was generally satisfied with the breakfast, but I normally purchase extra coffee with my breakfast. As the coffee cups were so small, I was not going to buy another. Also the choice was coffee OR orange - most places give both.

Scrolling through the menu, there was quite a selection of decent Farang stodge food, so I might be back.

Points 48; Position 20
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

thanks for review and photos

"First impressions were a little overpriced compared to other places in town"

But you didnt mention the prices?

thanks
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

300฿ for the Big Boy and 230฿ for the regular/ There was a 3rd option of 190฿ for the Vegan, or was it Vegetarian (both the same to me - no interest :D).

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've not eaten at Burgers and Beer. However, I read here that it's owned by Zabwer on 112. If that's the case, and if the food is equivalent to what is offered in Zabwer, then I'd expect the quality to be good.
I've had several meals at Zabwer. Their fish and chips is, in my opinion, the best you'll get in Hua Hin. My mother gave it top marks. She's from Hull and a self proclaimed fish and chips expert!!

However, I'm digressing from the 'breakfast theme'.