3BB Internet

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

3BB Internet

Post by hhinner »

I've been using 3BB for years, always using the cheapest internet package, culminating in the vdsl 30/10 package. A few months ago 3bb replaced this with 100/100 fiber and this improved international streaming speeds somewhat.

I did some speed tests yesterday and today and the speed is now 200/100 Mbps to 3BB in Thailand.

But it seems like international connections have also improved. I just did some testmy.net to London. Single thread results around 45/45. Mult thread around 140/45. Amazing!

Has anybody else had this improvement with 3BB?
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: 3BB Internet

Post by laphanphon »

Don't know about or use 3BB, but saw a local advert (1G up/down @ 750 baht month), so figured I'd ask our server (TOT) for any new competitive promotion, thinking 3BB just uses their cables / system, with a mark up anyway.

Sure enough, they offered an upgrade in service plan, presently 100 up / down, which for my laptop is useless, and we never get that anyway, as speed test is usually just less than 50 for laptop, which 100 up / down, is a bit irrelevant anyway, since older laptop, and will only handle 54 Mbps.... :D

So tech came out to house about an hour after paying bill and inquiring, did what ever they do, then swapped out our wifi modem (rated at 450 MBPS, I think), and we now have 200+ up / down (240 ish consistently during a few tests). Again no help for laptop, not sure or care if it helps the smaller device, as not really needed, but since they offered.

All that fine service, upgrade to their 5G ... :roll: .... cost all of 10 baht. Wifi modem use free, no rent or install fee. Didn't really understand the rationale of the 10 baht fee, I mean seriously, 10 baht, why bother.

For those that don't know, all one needs is about 10 Mbps, to stream on any devise, actually about 5 (for Netflix as example for HD per stream), but if multi tasking, 10 is better. Of course that's 10 per device, working of your wifi, so if 10 people using, :roll: then good to have at least 100 Mbps.

Oh yea, our monthly service plan, stays at same price....TTL 631 a month.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Thanks for the reply laphanphon. Seems like TOT and 3bb are the same pricing. The difference seems to be that 3bb don't sit back and wait for customers to ask them if a same price upgrade is available.

laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

They may have touted it quite a bit, as I just don't pay attention to those type of things. 3BB flyer on the gate, so wife asked.

100 megs was fine for me, and really don't notice the difference on the phone, which I rarely use anyway, as annoying trying to read and type on small devices. 50 megs on laptop are more than I need, and rarely does anything buffer when watching.

They could offer 10 gigs for a good price, and I'd still buy the cheapest plan available, as simply don't need more.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

So what would you say is the best package for someone who only spends 5 months of the year here say Internet and TV . Average use on both and what type of charges thanks for any advice.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

For me, I think it's the cheapest monthly plan, year contract with TOT, and all of 631 baht a month. That's cabled into the house with wifi router use to all devices. We don't do TV, though I run laptop to the TV as a monitor. So can't comment on any streaming or cable TV services. YouTube the only thing that streams for us.

Then I have the cheapest (practical) DTAC plan on my phone, 350 a month, which is a total waste, as rarely if ever use, but convenient to have, as out and about quite a bit. More for emergency than any thing else, and has come in handy, non emergency, as yet to actually need, thankfully, in an emergency. Wife even has separate plan on her phone. All a bit redundant.

Since wifi is available everywhere, it really is just a luxury. Even out & about, you can stop at any of the 1000's of coffee shops if needing info or a booking on the fly, for the price of a cup of whatever.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Wife even has separate plan on her phone. All a bit redundant.
I bet it's not as good as mine with AIS.
I took an offer of free internet on 4G for 30 days. I still have it, and come April of this year, I'll have had free wifi on my phone for TWO YEARS!

I'm certainly not going to tell them.

Some computer glitches are good!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Hers is actually AIS, and it sucks, as does DTAC at times. I hate AIS, as when having, always a billing conflict, thieving bastards.

Thai internet servers are in a word....terrible. Though TBH, have nothing to compare them to, as last USA server I used, 20 years ago, was ok, actually better and cheaper, as unlimited high speed, not their / Thais, so many fast gig plans as here, then slow internet when used up.

Which if you actually use internet on your phone, one vid and you've used up your monthly allotment of fast service. Why people are on their phone during their romantic dinners....ignoring all around them, for the free internet .... 555

Making Thai internet, extremely expensive, for those that only have a phone plan.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thai internet servers are in a word....terrible. Though TBH, have nothing to compare them to, as last USA server I used, 20 years ago, was ok, actually better and cheaper, as unlimited high speed, not their / Thais, so many fast gig plans as here, then slow internet when used up.
In the US:
Xfinity was the fastest broadband provider nationwide, followed by Verizon, according to Ookla. On a city level, Kansas City — the home of Google Fiber — had the highest mean broadband speeds of any city in the country, both for downloads and uploads, at 159 and 127 Mbps respectively.
In Thailand:
AIS is Thailand's Speedtest Awards Winner for fixed network speed during Q1-Q2 2019. To win this award, AIS achieved a Speed Score of 83.51, with top download speeds of 225.94 Mbps and top upload speeds of 113.02 Mbps.
Just food for thought.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Can also agree AIS 4G service is pretty bad, at least where I live - 2G would be closer to what you're actually getting. They must be going to the same place as TAT for their speed figures.

Yes, and they will keep taking money out of your account whether you're using data or not. It is not cheap to get online here comparatively.

But anyway, back to 3BB ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Anybody moved to giga speed fiber and taken up HBO GO offer for 39 baht/month (+vat)?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Anyone else having problems with 3BB this week? It has been absolutely terrible and has actually gone off for a few hours on two occasions since Monday.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

No issues in my locale.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

None whatsoever here also. Hua Na area (112)
buksida

Post by buksida »

Cheers, must be a local issue then, have had a bit of wind and rain lately which plays havoc with their cranky cables strung up everywhere.