Coin counting machine

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Coin counting machine

Post by thecolonel »

Do the banks here have the same coin counting machines that they have in UK?

You know the ones where you put all your loose change in a small container, pour it all in and they give a lovely £10 note in return

Anyone done that here in Hua Hin. I'm with Bangkok Bank. I guess you would have to be a customer of the bank with the machine

I've never had cause to do that here but my 'slummy' bowl is getting quite large

TIA

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Last edited by thecolonel on Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Re: Coin counting machine

Post by Big Boy »

They certainly have one in Kasikorn, Market Village, but (during Covid) they refused to take my money the last time I smashed my pig.

On that occasion, 7-11 were more than happy to count it, and give me the cash with no commission. Makro are also usually happy to count your change. The count is usually pretty quick, and accurate.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Big Boy wrote:They certainly have one in Kasikorn, Market Village, but (during Covid) they refused to take my money.

On that occasion, 7-11 were more than happy to count it, and give me the cash with no commission. Makro are also usually happy to count your change. The count is usually pretty quick, and accurate.
Good to know, thanks

Option 2 is take it to 7 11 and buy some beer with it! Image

VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

While the banks do have them, they will charge a hefty fee for the privilege. I used to have a coin operated petrol dispenser and two phone top up machines and these would generate between 5-7000 baht in coins (and a whole lot of twenties). The bank wanted to charge 130 baht per 1000 which I thought was highway robbery so I would put them in small plastic bags of 100 baht each and the petrol station was more than happy to take them. As well as the AIS counter and a couple of other places. The market vendors will be very happy to take them off your hands too.
วินเชนท์
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

VincentD wrote:While the banks do have them, they will charge a hefty fee for the privilege. I used to have a coin operated petrol dispenser and two phone top up machines and these would generate between 5-7000 baht in coins (and a whole lot of twenties). The bank wanted to charge 130 baht per 1000 which I thought was highway robbery so I would put them in small plastic bags of 100 baht each and the petrol station was more than happy to take them. As well as the AIS counter and a couple of other places. The market vendors will be very happy to take them off your hands too.
Noted with thanks.

Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Last year I took a large bag of change to Bangkok Bank in Bluport, expecting them to pour them into a machine. Instead, the teller called the security guard / greeter over and the two of them then counted them by hand, before depositing them to my account. All 25 and 50 satang coins were returned to me.

2 days ago I took a medium size bag to Makro, turned them in at the customer service desk for counting. They agreed to count them this time, previously they had declined on a couple of occasions, saying they didn’t have any staff available for counting even though it appeared to me there were plenty of staff sitting behind the counter. I collected my plastic bag 20 minutes later, inside was 700 baht in new, crisp notes plus less than 10 baht in loose change (they took the 25 and 50 satang coins).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm not sure there's such a rule in Thailand but in the UK traders can refuse coins above certain amounts:
£2 - for any amount

£1 - for any amount

50p - for any amount not exceeding £10

25p (Crown) - for any amount not exceeding £10

20p - for any amount not exceeding £10

10p - for any amount not exceeding £5

5p - for any amount not exceeding £5

2p - for any amount not exceeding 20p

1p - for any amount not exceeding 20p
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Scout wrote:Last year I took a large bag of change to Bangkok Bank in Bluport, expecting them to pour them into a machine. Instead, the teller called the security guard / greeter over and the two of them then counted them by hand, before depositing them to my account. All 25 and 50 satang coins were returned to me.

2 days ago I took a medium size bag to Makro, turned them in at the customer service desk for counting. They agreed to count them this time, previously they had declined on a couple of occasions, saying they didn’t have any staff available for counting even though it appeared to me there were plenty of staff sitting behind the counter. I collected my plastic bag 20 minutes later, inside was 700 baht in new, crisp notes plus less than 10 baht in loose change (they took the 25 and 50 satang coins).
Very useful intel, many thanks

Turns out I don't have as much money in slummy as I thought! ImageImage

Good to know the form though Image