TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by Ginjaninja »

pharvey wrote:^ Everytime I hear of a series called "Swarm" etc. I always get hopeful it's based on Michael Crighton's book Prey (based on a swarm of micro-bots).... Cracking book, but hey-ho :roll:
Fantastic book.
I’ve read so many great books that I think would make a good film but most don’t see the big screen.
Yet the majority of big films have fairly mediocre storylines.

Edit: Would make a good thread

Examples - Orion (Ben Bova), Birdsong (Sebastian Fawkes)….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by dtaai-maai »

thecolonel wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:48 pm1923(Yellowstone Prequel)

Before embarking on Season 5 of Yellowstone I have just completed 1923 which is the prequel to it, starring Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren.

Overall I found it a quite solidly entertaining drama with good production and plot. If you enjoy Yellowstone then I think you will enjoy this too.

Also, I am just about to complete the pre-prequel(!) named 1883 and again this is solid, maybe not spectacular, but well worth a watch IMO

If you're looking to binge a drama with a consistent theme then you could do a lot worse I think

I'd give both 7.5/10
I've just finished 1923 - definitely the best of the three IMO, and I'm looking forward to season 2.
This is the way
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

dtaai-maai wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:48 pm1923(Yellowstone Prequel)

Before embarking on Season 5 of Yellowstone I have just completed 1923 which is the prequel to it, starring Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren.

Overall I found it a quite solidly entertaining drama with good production and plot. If you enjoy Yellowstone then I think you will enjoy this too.

Also, I am just about to complete the pre-prequel(!) named 1883 and again this is solid, maybe not spectacular, but well worth a watch IMO

If you're looking to binge a drama with a consistent theme then you could do a lot worse I think

I'd give both 7.5/10
I've just finished 1923 - definitely the best of the three IMO, and I'm looking forward to season 2.
Yes I meant to mention in my post that I preferred the prequels to Yellowstone

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HAPPY VALLEY

Last night I completed S3 this British drama/crime series having only just started watching series 1 a few weeks ago.

Somehow this very popular series which started in 2014 had evaded me, up until last month when I finally caught up with it.

And I'm very glad I did! Really solid entertainment, very high standard of acting, good production, great script, plenty of tension etc

9/10 for me

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

thecolonel wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:54 am
buksida wrote:Just started Tulsa King with Sly Stallone which I'm enjoying so far.

The Mayor of Kingstown has also started with season two.
Tulsa King - at the start I found it reasonably entertaining, but tbh I got a bit bored of it. He's a natural in that role though

Happy Valley - watched first 2 eps (S1) and I certainly shall be continuing

Unforgotten - ITV Crime drama. I watched Series 1. Very good

I was slightly underwhelmed by the first couple of episodes but by ep.5 it just keeps getting better and better. Season 2 in the works. BTW Terence,The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire,Winter is one of the producers.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’ve recently finished watching a BBC six- part drama called “The Gold” and based on the real life events of the Brinks Mat robbery in the 1980’s - at the time the biggest robbery in the world at the then £26m figure. Thoroughly recommended - if I had any complaint, it would be that the last episode seemed a bit rushed and could have easily made it either a 7th episode or stretched it from 1 to maybe 1.1/2 hours!!

Another police based drama that I’ve also enjoyed on the Beeb, was “Better” - it shows that corrupt police exist everywhere, not just in Thailand!! This one was five episodes.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Both excellent.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:I’ve recently finished watching a BBC six- part drama called “The Gold” and based on the real life events of the Brinks Mat robbery in the 1980’s - at the time the biggest robbery in the world at the then £26m figure. Thoroughly recommended - if I had any complaint, it would be that the last episode seemed a bit rushed and could have easily made it either a 7th episode or stretched it from 1 to maybe 1.1/2 hours!!

Another police based drama that I’ve also enjoyed on the Beeb, was “Better” - it shows that corrupt police exist everywhere, not just in Thailand!! This one was five episodes.
As re 'Better' ..... v interested to watch this.

But my box is not getting any links to that despite showing all the graphics/episode numbers etc which is very unusual

May have to download to laptop as per pre android box days Image

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Just finished 'The Bank of Dave' mini series. Follows the actual guy the recent movie was based on and his journey to opening his 'tiny bank'.

A good watch. Couldn't see it anywhere other than Netflix but sure it's out there somewhere.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

THE NIGHT MANAGER (2016)

I watched this around about 7 years ago when it was first released.
I have just completed rewatching it and overall I enjoyed it very much.

Interestingly, despite the fact that I remember enjoying it the first time, I had forgotten about 90% of it so it was well worth rewatching it.

Like so many series I watch, the ending was not quite to my liking and felt a little bit different from the rest of the series. I won't say any more so as not to spoil it for anyone who's either not seen it or is thinking of rewatching it.
But then again it's based on the Le Carre novel so there's that

9/10

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:50 pm THE NIGHT MANAGER (2016)

I watched this around about 7 years ago when it was first released.
I have just completed rewatching it and overall I enjoyed it very much.

Interestingly, despite the fact that I remember enjoying it the first time, I had forgotten about 90% of it so it was well worth rewatching it.

Like so many series I watch, the ending was not quite to my liking and felt a little bit different from the rest of the series. I won't say any more so as not to spoil it for anyone who's either not seen it or is thinking of rewatching it.
But then again it's based on the Le Carre novel so there's that

9/10

It’s called getting old Colonel, but don’t worry I’ve probably forgotten 95%!! :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm on the final episode of Magpie Murders (BBC iPlayer). It's sort of a cross between Miss Marple and Poirot, with a bit of Hitchcock and maybe Midsomer Murders thrown in. Excellent cast, some humour, an interesting interplay between the (fictional) 1950s and the (real) present day. Well worth a look IMO.
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Another star wars thingy coming in August for those who are into it.

Live long and prosper and all that malarkey.

28nimoy_video_hp-square640-v3.jpg
28nimoy_video_hp-square640-v3.jpg (92.43 KiB) Viewed 172 times
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^August? AUGUST???? FFS!
This is the way
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:28 pm ^^August? AUGUST???? FFS!
:laugh:

Instantly thought of you when I saw this on twitter. :wink: