Your Top Ten TV Series..Drama and Comedy

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Your Top Ten TV Series..Drama and Comedy

Post by sateeb »

Thought I would like to see other posters views on this. I'm referring to shows you have or would watch numerous times.

Drama in no particular order.

1) The Red Riding Trilogy. 2009. UK.
Rookie journalist Eddie Dunford is determined to find the truth in an increasingly complex maze of lies and deceit surrounding the police investigation into a series of child abductions.

2) Breaking Bad..no need for explanations.

3) Better Call Saul Ditto as above

4) Dancing On The Edge 2013 UK
Set in the 1930s, a black Jazz band rises in fame and popularity while becoming entangled in an intricate web of intrigue, mystery & suspense with the elite of London society.

5)The Sporanos speaks for itself.

6) The Take 2009 UK. Early Tom Hardy and Sean Evans roles.
Based upon the novel by Martina Cole, this TV series is mostly about Freddie Jackson, portrayed by Tom Hardy, who is just out of prison. He has the right connections and now he's ready to use them.

7) The Night Manager 2016 UK. Stellar cast and still talks about a 2nd season.
The night manager of a Cairo hotel is recruited to infiltrate an arms dealer's inner circle.

8) Succession 2018-current. Final series airing now.

9) Slow Horses 2022-current. Excellent adaptation of the wonderful Mick Herron novels.

10) Our Friends in the North 1996 UK. Early Daniel Craig, Mark Strong roles. Probably should have this as tied #1 with the Red Riding trilogy. TV at it's best.
Drama examining the politics and change across Britain from the Sixties to the Nineties seen through the varying fortunes of four friends.

I'll do Comedy top 10 tomorrow.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Your Top Ten TV Series..Drama and Comedy

Post by Dannie Boy »

Surprisingly, the only one from the above that I’d watch again (I’ve already watched it two times) is the Night Manager.

On my list, I’d include in no particular order,

Spooks,
Luther,
Happy Valley
Line of Duty
Strike
The Fall
Shetland

And of course Death in Paradise - only joking with this one 😄
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ So have you watched all of my top 10?

From your list,and yes I've seen them all I would probably give The Fall, Strike and at a pinch Happy Valley another lookie. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

sateeb wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:28 pm /\ So have you watched all of my top 10? TBH no I haven’t so I’m being a tad unfair, but not a fan of Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul!!

From your list,and yes I've seen them all I would probably give The Fall, Strike and at a pinch Happy Valley another lookie. :cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

'Drama & Comedy'?

Are you intentionally discluding my input on good TV series, or was it just a happy coincidence? :wink:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Oh come on - it's the same as the "Best Movies of All Time"..... You just can't pick! Longstanding favourites, recent viewing, popular viewing...?

Series I have really enjoyed comedy, drama or otherwise.... Only Fools and Horses, Not The Nine O'Clock News, Fawlty Towers..... Star Trek ( :wink: ), Star Wars... ( :wink: ), Fringe..... I could list a hundred plus!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

sateeb wrote:Thought I would like to see other posters views on this. I'm referring to shows you have or would watch numerous times.

Drama in no particular order.

1) The Red Riding Trilogy. 2009. UK.
Rookie journalist Eddie Dunford is determined to find the truth in an increasingly complex maze of lies and deceit surrounding the police investigation into a series of child abductions.

2) Breaking Bad..no need for explanations.

3) Better Call Saul Ditto as above

4) Dancing On The Edge 2013 UK
Set in the 1930s, a black Jazz band rises in fame and popularity while becoming entangled in an intricate web of intrigue, mystery & suspense with the elite of London society.

5)The Sporanos speaks for itself.

6) The Take 2009 UK. Early Tom Hardy and Sean Evans roles.
Based upon the novel by Martina Cole, this TV series is mostly about Freddie Jackson, portrayed by Tom Hardy, who is just out of prison. He has the right connections and now he's ready to use them.

7) The Night Manager 2016 UK. Stellar cast and still talks about a 2nd season.
The night manager of a Cairo hotel is recruited to infiltrate an arms dealer's inner circle.

8) Succession 2018-current. Final series airing now.

9) Slow Horses 2022-current. Excellent adaptation of the wonderful Mick Herron novels.

10) Our Friends in the North 1996 UK. Early Daniel Craig, Mark Strong roles. Probably should have this as tied #1 with the Red Riding trilogy. TV at it's best.
Drama examining the politics and change across Britain from the Sixties to the Nineties seen through the varying fortunes of four friends.

I'll do Comedy top 10 tomorrow.
This is a great question.. Should the word 'Repeat' not be in the title? Or is it just top ten, simple as that? Or naming series you've watched multiple times?

I've watched 2, 3 & 8 twice(Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul & Succession).

I will watch Breaking Bad for a third time for certain at some point.

I want to watch The Night Manager again(someone had just remade it, probably crap!)

I watched Ozark twice....and I'm very happy I did. I left it that perfect amount of time in between.

But the series I've watched the most number of repeat times (3 or 4) is naturally the one I think is the very best I've seen.

Before I tell you which one I'm aware that not that many people agree with me, especially how the whole series improved (or not) as each series went on. Clearly I thought it did in the main. And generally I thought it was absolutely outstanding!

And that was Homeland(now finished)

All that geopolitical, middle east, CIA, FBI, US Politics, ISIS, terror attacks etc is right up my alley.

Another one on my list for a second watch is Dopesick. Just superb

Oh, just thought of another I watched twice without hesitation and will watch for a third time one day...... The Night Of.... Outstanding drama/crime thriller

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

pharvey wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:34 am Oh come on - it's the same as the "Best Movies of All Time"..... You just can't pick! Longstanding favourites, recent viewing, popular viewing...?

Series I have really enjoyed comedy, drama or otherwise.... Only Fools and Horses, Not The Nine O'Clock News, Fawlty Towers..... Star Trek ( :wink: ), Star Wars... ( :wink: ), Fringe..... I could list a hundred plus!
Not sure where the "Oh come on" is coming from Pete. :? I did say that I am referring to shows, old, new or current, that you would watch numerous times. I have an external hard drive where I store all my favourite shows and movies.

The title thread is your Top 10 NOT best of all time.

I guess this would compare to Desert Island Discs in that you could only transfer your top 10 Comedy and drama shows on a flash drive. :cheers:

Anyhoo, back to the list.

COMEDY TOP 10

1) Seinfeld

2) Arrested Development

3) Archer

4) Veep

5) The Larry Sanders Show

6) It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

7) After Life

8) Peter Kay's Car Share

9) Trailer Park Boys

10) Anything with Steve Coogan as Alan Partridge :laugh:

My top 10 of 25 comedy shows on my disc. :cheers:

― George Carlin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I guess that this is a bit like naming your favourite food or restaurant - what one person likes somebody else will think no way!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Ok, to conform with question set

Just to say that I really wish I had a database like Sateeb does to check all the ones I've watched as I fear I may have missed some out.....

Non comedy based series

My Top ten/Desert Island DVDs/watched multiple times(most)

Homeland
Breaking Bad
Ozark
Succession
The Night Of
House of Cards
Band of Brothers
Gomorrah
The White Lotus
Boardwalk Empire

Honorable mentions go to

Dopesick
True Detective
The Fall
The Sopranos
Fargo
The Wire
The Night Manager
The Honorable Woman
Line of Duty
Happy Valley
The Missing

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:44 am Just to say that I really wish I had a database like Sateeb does to check all the ones I've watched as I fear I may have missed some out.....
No you don't, the man's a freak. Seriously, he's a total weirdo.

I couldn't begin to make lists like these - there are so many, way too many for me to narrow down. And there are some from another era that might not be the same outside of that window: The Sweeney, The Prisoner, The Avengers.

But I do enjoy reading other people's lists, that's always interesting. Lots of quiet nods to myself, then the occasional "Whaaaaaaat?? You must be kidding!!"

And, of course, there's the odd series or two that have totally slipped under my radar. The Night Of and Dopesick, for example.

Keep up the good work, chaps.
:cheers: :cheers:
This is the way
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

thecolonel wrote:Ok, to conform with question set

Just to say that I really wish I had a database like Sateeb does to check all the ones I've watched as I fear I may have missed some out.....

Non comedy based series

My Top ten/Desert Island DVDs/watched multiple times(most)

Homeland
Breaking Bad
Ozark
Succession
The Night Of
House of Cards
Band of Brothers
Gomorrah
The White Lotus
Boardwalk Empire

Honorable mentions go to

Dopesick
True Detective
The Fall
The Sopranos
Fargo
The Wire
The Night Manager
The Honorable Woman
Line of Duty
Happy Valley
The Missing

I missed out Better Call Saul!

Damn, if only I had a spreadsheet like Sateeb, mistakes like that wouldn't happen! ImageImageImageImage

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:25 pm
thecolonel wrote:
Damn, if only I had a spreadsheet like Sateeb, mistakes like that wouldn't happen! ImageImageImageImage

You seriously overestimate my data. Simply put, if I enjoy a series I have downloaded I keep it on a separate hard drive to watch again at a later date. The only spreadsheet I have covers my bed. :laugh: :laugh:

― George Carlin
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:41 am
thecolonel wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:44 am Just to say that I really wish I had a database like Sateeb does to check all the ones I've watched as I fear I may have missed some out.....
No you don't, the man's a freak. Seriously, he's a total weirdo.

I couldn't begin to make lists like these - there are so many, way too many for me to narrow down. And there are some from another era that might not be the same outside of that window: The Sweeney, The Prisoner, The Avengers.

But I do enjoy reading other people's lists, that's always interesting. Lots of quiet nods to myself, then the occasional "Whaaaaaaat?? You must be kidding!!"

And, of course, there's the odd series or two that have totally slipped under my radar. The Night Of and Dopesick, for example.

Keep up the good work, chaps.
Steady on old chap :laugh: :laugh:

― George Carlin
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:48 am Not sure where the "Oh come on" is coming from Pete. :? I did say that I am referring to shows, old, new or current, that you would watch numerous times. I have an external hard drive where I store all my favourite shows and movies.
Appologies sateeb... Came across a little wrong/strongly. I think we see loads of "Top 10 Lists" of others and our own - then (just as this thread) see a show/movie included in someone else's list and think damn, yes, that should be on my list! :wink: :D

I've also masses stored on numerous hard drives, always taken with me when working away.... Not happening at the moment unfortunately, so I have a huge choice through TV being in the UK!!

I, like yourself and others will have watched countless movies, shows, documentaries etc. - probably forgetting more than we know!!

This thread though certainly reminds me of quite a few!! Hey though - what about "Classic Crap"... Minder, The Professionals et al.! :P

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.