Growing up Then and Now.

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Growing up Then and Now.

Post by dtaai-maai »

The rag and bone man, of course! The real thing, a la Steptoe & Son with a bony old horse pulling a cart, and the haunting cry of raaaaaaaag and boooooooooooone! All we have to day here in the East Midlands is a white van on a Sunday playing a tinny recording of Any Old Iron! :roll:
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We had a couple of rag and bone men in Plymouth, but they each carried a sack, shouting raaaaaaaag and boooooooooooones, whilst walking everywhere. Nothing so grand as a horse and cart.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:40 pm
Not sure about no. 12. I thought fish fingers had been around since WW2 at least. We certainly had them fairly regularly in the 60s.
Birds Eye launched the fish finger in the Autumn of 1955 at the Brighton Sales conference. * The price at the time was 1s 8d. * Fish fingers were packaged in a hand-made wax coated carton, where they were individually packed and wrapped in a printed waxed film.
As I remember when a young lad, a portion of cod was 1s/6d (7.1/2p) and a portion of chips were 6d (2.1/2p), so in total 10p - these days you’ll be lucky to get any change from 1000p!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Seemed like good times indeed. In all aspects. Affordable. Good communities. Families eating together.

So what happened? The boomers created and largely govern today's world. What went wrong. :wink:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

One change that immediately springs to mind is employment. In the 50s and 60s mothers were... well, mothers... and home cooks and housekeepers. The traditional female role, now of course outdated. I imagine nowadays in most households, both parents work, by choice or, more than likely by necessity.
This is the way