Visa Run

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
K2OWN

Visa Run

Post by K2OWN »

As I am still relativley new to this site could someone please explain a Visa Run to me i.e . where is the nearest place to go how much roughly does it cost etc,. We will have to do them every 90days when we move out next year. All advise will be taken on board . Many Thanks :? :?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

K2OWN, have a read of this thread; it's long but I think if you take the time to read it, you will find out what you need to know:
http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/ge ... t5119.html
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A visa run is the journey you make via another country to obtain another visa, activate a further portion of an existing visa or to obtain a visa exemption stamp (30 day entry) when returning to Thailand.
You've said you'll have to do these every 90 days, so I'm assuming that you'll have a multiple-entry Non Immigrant Visa. That'll be valid for a year from when it's issued, but, as you say, you've got to exit the country every 90 days. On your return to Thailand you'll be given another stamp allowing you to remain for a further 90 days.
The closest point to HH is Ranong and then over to Burma. How much it costs will depend on how you get there - drive yourself, get a taxi or take the busses. In the latter instance, I'd say about 1,500 Baht per person return.
One thing I'd point out is that you say you're moving over here. Does that mean you and your wife? Is your wife Thai? Are you over 50? The reason for the questions is that once you have a Non Immigrant Visa, you can extend it for a year here in Thailand and in HH for 1,900 Baht. If you do this, you wont have to do the runs - just report to Imm every 90 days. However, to get the extension, you must be married to a Thai or over 50 (there are other reasons for the extension, such as working, but these are the usual ones).
You'll have to prove money in a Thai bank or income to get the extension (for instance 800k in a Thai bank, or income of 65k per month, or combination of the two for retirement. Income of 40k per month for marriage).
If you're coming here to live, this is the preferrable way to do things and you can apply for the extension within the last month of any 90 day entry. If you don't do this, you'll be searching around for somewhere to get the same multi-entry Non O visa again after a year and they're not easy to get any more in neighbouring countries - although not impossible.
K2OWN

Visa Run

Post by K2OWN »

Thank you for your reply. My husband is over 50 but as yet I have not reached that magical age. Neither of us are Thai. So what you are saying is that he can extend his visa in HH but I am the one who has to do the trek every 90 Days then go back to Hull in the UK after one year to renew my visa. The money is thing in the Thai BAnk won't be an issue I am glad to say. I knew that I could depend on you to have the answers to my questions :? :? .
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm not sure that you will have to go back to England, or elsewhere, and mess about with visas/visa runs.
I've a feeling that you may be able to get an extension based on your husband's. Take a look at:
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2n ... p606EN.pdf
sections 7:19 and 7:21.
As said, I'm really not 100% sure about this, but I have heard of foreign married couples doing this. Whether Imm will want you to be over 50, or to have the 800k in a bank as well, is the bit that I'm uncertain about.
If I were you, I'd try a call to the Embassy in London first. Failing that, go to see Imm in HH asap when you arrive here. You may be pleasantly surprised.