(Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Temporary sub-forum for all news, updates, developments and discussion on Coronavirus/Covid-19 in Hua Hin, Thailand and globally. Any and all topics on the outbreak will be moved into this forum for ease of information access.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: (Don't) Wear a Mask Debate

Post by Lost »

HHTel wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:40 pm
It's noted that most under 50's haven't had a vaccine for 18 months and under 75's for a year.
I don't think most under 50s needed the vaccine in the first place to be honest. Unless they were high-risk.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:59 pm
I don't think most under 50s needed the vaccine in the first place to be honest. Unless they were high-risk.
Oh, they're high risk regardless of Covid! :neener: :banghead: :wink:

Have been offered the Flu vaccine, but have not taken it this year due to other issues at the moment. Must admit, the Flu vaccine always hit me for six for a day or two even pre-Covid.... Anywho back on topic...

I'll always wear a mask at the GP or in hospital waiting rooms - it doesn't protect me, but does so potentially for others. I've had health issues over the past few years and have come to realise through experience the effects of viruses on those with underlying conditions especially. Those in GP or hospital waiting rooms are there for a reason (they're ill FFS) - wearing a mask is if nothing a simple sign of respect/consideration.

And hell, don't forget masks were worn throughout Asia way before Covid simply due to pollution! These days, masks are simply connected with the virus.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:32 pm
Lost wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:59 pm
Oh, they're high risk regardless of Covid! :neener: :banghead: :wink:
I'm not sure I understand. It wasn't necessary for that age group. We were sold in it that it 'would prevent the spread' which has since been disproven.

I understand you were severely affected by covid. Had you had the vaccine?

:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:28 am I'm not sure I understand. It wasn't necessary for that age group. We were sold in it that it 'would prevent the spread' which has since been disproven.

Oh mate, it was just (an attempt at) a joke - zip to do with Covid, just a shot at you "Youngsters" (being high risk - i.e. Muppets) :wink: :neener: !! :D

Be fair, I'm aging and Welsh - my sense of humour is difficult to understand at the best of times.... :D
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:42 am
Lost wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:28 am I'm not sure I understand. It wasn't necessary for that age group. We were sold in it that it 'would prevent the spread' which has since been disproven.

Oh mate, it was just (an attempt at) a joke - zip to do with Covid, just a shot at you "Youngsters" (being high risk - i.e. Muppets) :wink: :neener: !! :D

Be fair, I'm aging and Welsh - my sense of humour is difficult to understand at the best of times.... :D
:lach:

Mate my humour detector is at an all time low at the mo. Not feeling it. :wink:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m sure my wife is fairly typical of many Thais and still wears a mask when we go out - I don’t think she’s that knowledgeable about the scientific data, she just feels safer wearing one, so I just let her get on with it.

In the UK, one of my nieces and her husband have both recently had Covid - would a mask have prevented it - possibly not, but therein lies the quandary!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just dropped my car off at Ford for a bit of routine maintenance. Ordered a Grab to come home, and automatically wore a mask. I'm not sure if it is still a requirement for using Grab, I just did it out of habit.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 8:06 am In the UK, one of my nieces and her husband have both recently had Covid - would a mask have prevented it - possibly not, but therein lies the quandary!!
Wearing a mask protects others, not so much yourself - personally I'd rather not spread to others, as I've said it's simple consideration especially when around those who are already weakened by illness. The "jabs" don't prevent you from getting Covid either, they simply reduce the effect and the need for treatment (hopefully).
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What I don’t properly understand is, if a mask helps prevent the spread of Covid, why doesn’t it help to prevent catching it - I’m talking about the same degree, e.g. if it stops spreading by say 80%, why is it only say 20% from catching it?

Personally I’m not that bothered, I stopped wearing a mask a long time ago and will only wear one now if it’s made apparent that a mask has to be worn in a specific environment.