Automatic passport processing for outbound foreigners from December 2023

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
PeteC

Automatic passport processing for outbound foreigners from December 2023

Post by PeteC »

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... next-month. (Photo of processing machines)

Most outbound foreign travellers will be able to pass through automatic channels to quickly board planes at Suvarnabhumi airport, and relieve congestion, from next month.

Pol Maj Gen Choengron Rimphadee, commander of Immigration Division 2, said automatic processing at Suvarnabhumi is currently available only for passengers with Thai, Hong Kong or Singaporean passports.

The Immigration Bureau was improving its computer programming and amending regulations so that other departing foreigners could also use automatic channels, starting on Dec 15, he said.

He expected this would increase processing of outbound travellers at Suvarnabhumi airport from about 5,000 per hour to 12,000.

Pol Maj Gen Choengron said Airports of Thailand planned to also install more automatic channels at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports. Immigration officers could then be reassigned to speed up processing of inbound travelers.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Automatic passport processing for outbound foreigners from December 2023

Post by Dannie Boy »

Sounds like a positive step - I guess by the 16th December we’ll know whether it’s a smooth introduction or not?
buksida

Post by buksida »

There are automated immigration exits in Japan and Korea which results in no queuing going out (coming in is another matter). The 'visa' is a little sticker with a QR code in your passport which is all logged in the database.

Definitely a step forward for Thailand, though not sure how it would work with those on non-imm visas which need stamps in and out and re-entry permits. Even Thais still get an arrival stamp in their passports.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was wondering about procedure for those with dual nationality - I guess there will still be a dinosaur channel for such people.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:07 pm I was wondering about procedure for those with dual nationality - I guess there will still be a dinosaur channel for such people.
Do they have automatic processing already for Thai passports?

In would think those with dual nationality will go out on their Thai, and into the destination country on their other nationality passport, especially if no visa is required at the destination.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

PeteC wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:42 pm Do they have automatic processing already for Thai passports?
They do going out, not coming back.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:42 pm In would think those with dual nationality will go out on their Thai, and into the destination country on their other nationality passport, especially if no visa is required at the destination.
Yes, that is correct, but my experience is they always check the Thai passport to ensure a valid visa is present. Of course, when they don't find one, both my wife and son show their UK passport before being allowed to proceed.

I guess, as with many things that seem to happen to me, you guys will come back and say its never happened to you. TIT :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Automated Departure at Suvarnabhumi

Post by Sabai Jai »

I don't know if this is actually up and running but I do not fancy leaving without an exit stamp.

I presume by "E passport" they mean one with a chip?

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... rom-friday
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Went through departure today. I have a passport issued December last year. I could not go to the automatic system but was sent through the regular lines. 30 min to get through. Was very hard to really understand who were accepted to go through this automated system. It was a good mix of foreigners and Asians. As far as I know my pp is fully electronic with chip etc, so why I wasn't allowed to go through beats me???

YNWA

YNWA
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Probably down to the technology - my passport has whatever it needs imbedded but in the UK when I enter, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t!!