Fresh seafood in local restaurants?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
pharvey

Re: Fresh seafood in local restaurants?

Post by pharvey »

The above posts have been a great help as have many in the past, but of course times, restaurants, "local Eateries" and markets change.

We have some friends visiting HH in the New Year - unfortunately not with us!! Like us, they're great fans of seafood and are looking for both restaurants and best places to purchase seafood for cooking/BBQing at home. It's been a fair few years since I've been there but have tried to keep up, and always remember a fairly wide street not a million miles from the Train Station and heading down towards town - small restaurants either side and stalls in the middle where you could buy fresh or cooked seafood. As mentioned, it's been a long while and Sangsom will have no doubt played a part in my clouded memory...... BUT?

There were many "Tourist Restaurants" for seafood which were a complete rip-off, high price, low quality (Piers for example). Obviously things are the same, but more than likely locations changed.

We've obviously been to several, and I keep up with posts, just looking for an update based on not being a hotel, mid range on price but quality (and friendly service) being the main issue. They also love the "Local Eateries", but are going to be limited with transport - not up to driving (especially on the left) so will be reliant on taxis etc. One of those tying in a sightseeing tour with some earlier recommendations perhaps?

I realise not exactly on subject, BUT you could also get cooked foods there ( :neener: :wink: ) - We (well the LHG) also used to go to the "Wet Market"(?) early morning with a neighbour to get seafood far more cheaply - is that still there?

Ta Muchly in Advance for any and all suggestions!!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've made a few comments in red. Please note, I don't eat seafood. Just my thoughts on your post.
pharvey wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:07 am The above posts have been a great help as have many in the past, but of course times, restaurants, "local Eateries" and markets change.

We have some friends visiting HH in the New Year - unfortunately not with us!! Like us, they're great fans of seafood and are looking for both restaurants and best places to purchase seafood for cooking/BBQing at home. It's been a fair few years since I've been there but have tried to keep up, and always remember a fairly wide street not a million miles from the Train Station and heading down towards town - small restaurants either side and stalls in the middle where you could buy fresh or cooked seafood. Your description sounds like the night market. We took a few groups of friends there in 2019, and on each occasion were charged top prices for poor food. We did try several places because they used to be quite good. It was so poor, we've not been back since. As mentioned, it's been a long while and Sangsom A lot of Sangsom may improve the quality will have no doubt played a part in my clouded memory...... BUT?

There were many "Tourist Restaurants" for seafood which were a complete rip-off, high price, low quality (Piers for example). Still there, but not as many. Quality much better than Night Market. Obviously things are the same, but more than likely locations changed.

We've obviously been to several, and I keep up with posts, just looking for an update based on not being a hotel, mid range on price but quality (and friendly service) being the main issue. They also love the "Local Eateries", but are going to be limited with transport - not up to driving (especially on the left) so will be reliant on taxis etc. One of those tying in a sightseeing tour with some earlier recommendations perhaps?

I realise not exactly on subject, BUT you could also get cooked foods there ( :neener: :wink: ) - We (well the LHG) also used to go to the "Wet Market"(?) Yes, daughter and DIL still use. They also use Wanna Market in the afternoons early morning with a neighbour to get seafood far more cheaply - is that still there?

Ta Muchly in Advance for any and all suggestions!!

:cheers: :cheers:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

A visit to the Night Market was a regular event when we had visitors, the fact that we haven’t had any since Covid struck means I have no idea what’s on offer these days, but even back then, prices and quality varied considerably so it was always a case of going to where you may have been recognised, to (hopefully) get decent food.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Cheers guys :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.