Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by Pagey »

Thank you Joelle.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Came across this rare beauty in a seldom-used toilet block at a waterfall up near the Burmese border. Its a Python brongersmai or Brongersma’s Blood Python or Short-tailed Python. Shots are not great and it had moved on when I returned a couple of hours later to get some more.

DSC_0978.jpg
DSC_0978.jpg (147 KiB) Viewed 31709 times
DSC_0980.jpg
DSC_0980.jpg (125.55 KiB) Viewed 31709 times
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nice!! What sort of size was it?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

About 1.25 meters I'd say, not long but a very thick body, maybe it had just eaten.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Two snakes sighted in our garden today, one this morning and again this evening. My nephew said the one that was killed this morning was a งูกะบะ which I think means a pit viper. About 70cm long and moved away when light shone on it. Brownish in colour with ringed circles along its length. This evenings sighting was near the wall where there are a lot of jingjocks do hunting I suspect. I thought that pit vipers were unusual here and wonder if it is another type of snake. I got an unclear photo so cannot help in that way for identification.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A pit viper tends to have triangles on its body and a very triangular head. What you describe sounds more like a banded kukri. Although they are not venomous, they can give a nasty bite. It would be unusual for it to attack. They would normally just move away as you describe.

Pit vipers tend to stay put, coiled up, and ready to strike - they don't usually move away.

Many Thais (my wife included) mistake the kukri for a pit viper.

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Thanks Big Boy, I suspect that is what it is. The Thai family tend to view any snake as lethal even the golden tree snake. If it moves away I prefer to let it do so and get on with its life.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, a big problem in Thailand. I was heavily influenced by my wife in my early years here, but I simply educated myself. I still respect all snakes, just in case I'm wrong, but love to see them.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bloody hot now in Australia, but snake keeps cool!
......................................................................................................
Snake spotted dangling from fridge after Adelaide Hills resident heard hissing near air compressor

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-13/ ... /103316582

It's enough to send a chill down anyone's spine — a snake dangling from a fridge door, wrapped around the ice dispenser.

But that's the sight that recently confronted eastern Adelaide Hills resident Gail Auricht in the outdoor entertainment area of her family property outside Callington.

When she went to turn the radio off on Thursday evening, she heard a hissing noise, and assumed it was the air compressor.

When she heard the sound again, she was startled to see a red-bellied black snake on the front of her fridge.

"It had gone onto the water and ice outlet," Ms Auricht said.

The snake had become trapped in the ice dispenser.(Supplied)
The snake had become trapped in the ice dispenser.(Supplied)
cool snake.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 30128 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!