The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by 404cameljockey »

Killers of the Flower Moon is a 3.5 hour masterpiece. A true crime western story of the coldblooded but bloody disinheritance of the Osage Native Americans' rights in the early 20th century, but told so cinematically that it's unmissable.

That this film was well but less than universally praised by prominent US Native Americans is not at all surprising to me. Non-white Americans are impossible to please unless a story is told by themselves, the film directed by themselves, and in general extremely partisan: "our experience". Maybe an unwatchable 5 hour long film giving more colour (no pun) to the Native Americans might have satisfied them. The Osage people were closely involved with and acted in this film, isn't that enough to ensure fair portrayal?

This Scorsese film showcases the brutality directed against Native Americans even in the 1920s, and still manages to be totally engrossing as a story told from the viewpoints of two real families who were engaged in this battle at the time.

I held back from reading the novel on which it was based until I saw the film, I'm scared but ready for it now.

10/10
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Just to offer some balance I watched it and I don't think it's a masterpiece nor unmissable.

Just my opinion. And I really like De Niro and Di Cap but to me Scorcese has lost his way last 6 films or so. His work before was better

But I would encourage others to watch it and make their own minds up

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

thecolonel wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:40 am Just to offer some balance I watched it and I don't think it's a masterpiece nor unmissable.

Just my opinion. And I really like De Niro and Di Cap but to me Scorcese has lost his way last 6 films or so. His work before was better

But I would encourage others to watch it and make their own minds up

The last 6 Scorsese films have lost their way?

Yes I think others should watch and make up their own minds. :P
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well OK, sometimes I just like the violence..... :wink:

"The Beekeeper" is just out on the Big Screen and hopefully out soon on the likes of YTS and the like...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15314262/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:23 am Well OK, sometimes I just like the violence..... :wink:

"The Beekeeper" is just out on the Big Screen and hopefully out soon on the likes of YTS and the like...

Yes I think I fancy that. There's an HDCAM recording already release this month but I avoid those like the plague.

Many years ago in Dubai I had a Chinese 'dvd lady' come to my house and bring cheap HDCAM copies of recent releases to choose from. I used to buy sometimes and laugh at them, sometimes seeing people's heads bobbing up and down as they walk in the aisles, and even sometimes hearing the sound of popcorn buckets being eaten. The full cinema experience but with dreadful quality audio/video. :D

Patiently awaiting a good copy....
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Watched this one today. Really good. Bad Times at the El Royale (2018). A page-turning thriller filled with a great cast. Jeff Bridges, Jon Hamm, Dakota Johnson to name a few. I usually post about horror and the weird in this thread but I'm certain even DM and Pete will enjoy this recommendation if they haven't watched it already. :D

"In 1969, seven shady strangers meet in a deserted hotel with a dark past. As time goes by, their secrets come out and they soon find themselves in a fix."

https://yts.mx/movies/bad-times-at-the-el-royale-2018

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:25 pm Watched this one today. Really good. Bad Times at the El Royale (2018). A page-turning thriller filled with a great cast. Jeff Bridges, Jon Hamm, Dakota Johnson to name a few. I usually post about horror and the weird in this thread but I'm certain even DM and Pete will enjoy this recommendation if they haven't watched it already. :D

"In 1969, seven shady strangers meet in a deserted hotel with a dark past. As time goes by, their secrets come out and they soon find themselves in a fix."

I'm a big fan of Jeff Bridges and Dakota Johnson, so will certainly give it a go. I shall of course throw insults in your general direction if it's cr@p!! DM I'm sure is still busy working on flood defences!! :D :wink:
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:36 pm
Lost wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:25 pm Watched this one today. Really good. Bad Times at the El Royale (2018). A page-turning thriller filled with a great cast. Jeff Bridges, Jon Hamm, Dakota Johnson to name a few. I usually post about horror and the weird in this thread but I'm certain even DM and Pete will enjoy this recommendation if they haven't watched it already. :D

I'm a big fan of Jeff Bridges and Dakota Johnson, so will certainly give it a go. I shall of course throw insults in your general direction if it's cr@p!! DM I'm sure is still busy working on flood defences!! :D :wink:
:thumb:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Yes I watched Bad Times at the El Royale a while back, really fun film!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Saltburn is terrific. Heads-up: there's a slightly homoerotic edge running through the film but it's NOT a gay film and that's not the story, not at all (slow-burning psychological thriller, cleverly focused on class differences)!
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

404cameljockey wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:35 am Saltburn is terrific. Heads-up: there's a slightly homoerotic edge running through the film but it's NOT a gay film and that's not the story, not at all (slow-burning psychological thriller, cleverly focused on class differences)!
I really enjoyed this. Second heads-up: it's very fked up in parts, not one to watch with the family. :shock: :D

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

New Wonka is available. Doesn't come close to the original of course but still enjoyable.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:35 am Saltburn is terrific. Heads-up: there's a slightly homoerotic edge running through the film but it's NOT a gay film and that's not the story, not at all (slow-burning psychological thriller, cleverly focused on class differences)!
I really enjoyed this. Second heads-up: it's very fked up in parts, not one to watch with the family. :shock: :D

A bit too fked up IMHO

Somewhat spoiled what would've been a genuinely good movie

Shock for shocks sake!

Ps I thought the overall acting performances were good though

Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:23 am

On the shelves now, good reviews. :D

https://yts.mx/movies/the-beekeeper-2024

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:50 pm
pharvey wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:23 am

On the shelves now, good reviews. :D

https://yts.mx/movies/the-beekeeper-2024

Oh, you are a Leg-end.. sorry Legend!! :wink: Seriously blue, thanks for that!! Now then, as my Yorkshire side of the family would say...... Keep your eyes out for "Argylle" - looks fun, but well... Could be crap!!