Selfie obsession in Thailand a cause for concern

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
buksida

Selfie obsession in Thailand a cause for concern

Post by buksida »

In Thailand, a country where mental health often remains an under-discussed issue, the pervasive “selfie” culture on social media highlights a growing concern. Too often, our young people have social media accounts dedicated to just and only their image. The development of the Selfitis Behavior Scale (SBS) sheds light on this phenomenon, revealing that the compulsion to post selfies is not just a benign habit but can escalate into an obsession driven by the need for social validation and self-promotion. This obsession, characterized by an incessant pursuit of likes and comments, mirrors broader issues of self-esteem and identity in the digital age.

The Selfitis Behavior Scale (SBS) was developed through a study that investigated the phenomenon of “selfitis,” initially considered a hoax but later explored as a potential psychological condition. This scale was created following focus group interviews and exploratory factor analysis with university students, identifying six factors driving selfie obsession: environmental enhancement, social competition, attention seeking, mood modification, self-confidence, and social conformity. The SBS aims to assess the severity of selfitis across these dimensions, providing a framework for understanding how excessive selfie-taking may impact individuals’ psychological well-being.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/51818/self ... r-concern/

Wow, its actually a mental disorder, and another thing that Thailand tops the charts for. :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Selfie obsession in Thailand a cause for concern

Post by Lost »

This is a big problem in many countries. Particularly with the use of filters to achieve a 'better looking version' of you. Causing many young adults and children to dislike their natural appearance and undergo cosmetic surgeries to try and achieve that Instagram look. Desperate for 'likes'.

I was the last generation to have a social media/selfie free childhood. Thankful for that at least. Personally, I believe social media should only be used for 21 and over.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lost wrote:This is a big problem in many countries. Particularly with the use of filters to achieve a 'better looking version' of you. Causing many young adults and children to dislike their natural appearance and undergo cosmetic surgeries to try and achieve that Instagram look. Desperate for 'likes'.

I was the last generation to have a social media/selfie free childhood. Thankful for that at least. Personally, I believe social media should only be used for 21 and over.
I agree - make it for those over 21 and under 22!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:48 am
Lost wrote:This is a big problem in many countries. Particularly with the use of filters to achieve a 'better looking version' of you. Causing many young adults and children to dislike their natural appearance and undergo cosmetic surgeries to try and achieve that Instagram look. Desperate for 'likes'.

I agree - make it for those over 21 and under 22!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tiktok and Instagram are the biggest cancers online. Facebook comes in a close third. I use to use Facebook but I steer clear of even that now. Poison.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Apparently TikTok 'çontent creators' get monetary returns for making such idiotic stuff.. A little bird told me.. Many supplementing their meager income by posting daily and getting around 2-300 baht per day..
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I do occasionally use FB, if only to find people I've lost touch with. Recently found a work colleague (from 30 years ago) through his daughter's FB account. He doesn't have any, and at 88 didn't see the need for one.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The selfie thing, however, does sometimes work in your favour. I looked up the surname, daughter's name and region. She had posted a short video with her dad in it, recognised him, and was having a chat with him later in the evening.
วินเชนท์
buksida

Post by buksida »

VincentD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:04 pm Apparently TikTok 'çontent creators' get monetary returns for making such idiotic stuff.
Kinda related to selfie obsessions. It looks like the Thai censorship machine wants to crack down on them ...

Rules needed 'to rein in influencers'
The government should rein in social media influencers to prevent them from churning out unethical or even illegal content, suggested the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... nfluencers
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

VincentD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:11 pm The selfie thing, however, does sometimes work in your favour. I looked up the surname, daughter's name and region. She had posted a short video with her dad in it, recognised him, and was having a chat with him later in the evening.
Which is frightening in itself - what worked in your favour could be used against you (not particularly "you" personally of course).
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:
VincentD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:04 pm Apparently TikTok 'çontent creators' get monetary returns for making such idiotic stuff.
Kinda related to selfie obsessions. It looks like the Thai censorship machine wants to crack down on them ...

Rules needed 'to rein in influencers'
The government should rein in social media influencers to prevent them from churning out unethical or even illegal content, suggested the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDC).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... nfluencers
2 million Thais considered to be influencers? Out of a population less than 70 million (including babes in arms, geriatrics and dinosaurs)? How few followers do you need to be considered an influencer?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:45 pm Tiktok and Instagram are the biggest cancers online. Facebook comes in a close third. I use to use Facebook but I steer clear of even that now. Poison.
But surely so is "X"? For me, the one thing going for "X" is that I don't need to register or be a member simply to link a video from a news story. Then again though, it's an easy way to spread "Fake News" or deception. I'm not one to do the latter and am not a member of any of these groups - I have posted "X" videos on this site only through seeing them on news outlets - the majority of which being rugby.

But going back to something in the First Post/OP: -
buksida wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:08 am Too often, our young people have social media accounts dedicated to just and only their image.
Dedication to oneself is hardly new - "Social Media" is just another avenue. As I've said on this site previously, I have been incredibly fortunate to travel to (and be introduced to) many countries mainly through work and have seen a number of things....

Asia to me was a complete eye opener - I had been used to Africa, Europe and Russia until then. Then I hit South Korea - workwise of course, we were away from things and were not in "Big Cities". Around 2 months into our "work", we had a weekend off to visit the local "town" and hit a few bars. I was honestly dumbstruck by the amount of people dancing in front of mirrors (both male and female) simply loving themselves. There were also windows to the street below where the dancers where enjoying the attention - AND NO, before you think, type or say it - it wasn't for money in that way. These were individuals who simply loved themselves.

"Social Media" has concentrated and increased the latter EXPONENTIALLY around the Globe - Selfie this, Selfie that a problem? Not so much - some simply like to show where they are or where they've been. Self, self, self on the other hand...

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.