Google Maps

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Google Maps

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:47 pm
joelle wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:57 am Try Waze, I found it's pretty good
I've just done a test run to Khao Tao Lake and back again:

Pros:
  • It mentions Soi names/numbers to turn into. I actually learnt a lot today about road names I've travelled daily for years.
  • When hitting a long stretch of road, it says drive on this road for X minutes.
  • It came with many pre-programmed locations, including my house (my son's business).
Cons:
  • It didn't know about the flyovers across the railway track at Khao Tao, which opened around Christmas. In fact it went into panic mode, just spurting out contradictory instructions. Most certainly, if I'd have obeyed the instructions, I'd have driven through the barrier, and off the bridge :laugh: This put doubt in my mind regarding how current maps were, and I would imagine re-routing in the event of delays ahead could be quite difficult.
Overall, for a 17 minute each way test it was very promising. Certainly as good as my defunct TomTom. This could be the answer for me.
:cheers:
Trying MAPS.ME next ?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Quairading shire erects signs telling travellers to ignore GPS maps including Google

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-28/ ... /103207090
One of the signs encouraging motorists to ignore GPS directions.(Supplied: Brain Sheldrick)
One of the signs encouraging motorists to ignore GPS directions.(Supplied: Brain Sheldrick)
gps warning.jpg (107.29 KiB) Viewed 49817 times
A frustrated council in Western Australia has erected signs warning drivers against using Google maps after GPS-based directions repeatedly sent travellers down unsafe roads.

The Shire of Quairading, two hours east of Perth, has put up two large signs encouraging motorists to avoid part of the Old Beverley Road and instead travel via Quairading-York Road.

The shire says while the online maps send drivers on the quickest route, the gravel road is dangerous in some conditions, particularly for those unused to driving on country roads or carrying caravans and heavy loads.

No change despite multiple requests

The issue has frustrated the Quairading shire for the past eight years.

Shire president Jo Haythornthwaite said council had made numerous requests to have the maps changed.

"They've put a fair bit of time into trying to get Google to make that change … but they've had minimal success," she said.

The signs have attracted attention around the world after being posted on a Sign Appreciation Page on Facebook.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

joelle wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:55 pm Trying MAPS.ME next ?
I will continue with Waze for a while. Khao Tao and back isn't a big test. Hopefully I will be doing a bit of travelling in February, so will give a good test then. If it works as it did today, there is no need to look further.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not sure if I’ve used Waze in Thailand but I’ve used it in the UK and found it good, so hopefully a longer test will confirm its suitability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, if it wasn't for the absolute panic in the voice of the phone as I went over the flyover, including telling me to turn left off the bridge twice, I'd have given it the thumbs up already. I'd just like some reassurance that maps are updated regularly (monthly would be fine). I've looked on their web page, but the contact section does not give an option to ask questions. Then again, its a free service, so probably no budget for clerks to answer questions.

One other bonus that I haven't tried yet, but the promotional video said it warned about fixed speed traffic cameras. That certainly doesn't happen with Google Maps.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

What exactly is changing with Google maps? I've always just used "directions" and followed the sound prompts and the map, is that "drive mode"?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This seems to be something that will affect android devices - there’s no mention of it affecting Apple CarPlay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Ok, thanks, in that case I've never actually used "drive mode" so I won't miss it too much.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I won't miss 'driving mode'. "Hey Google' and "take me to xxxx" is all I use in Google Maps.

In the UK many years ago I bought a Garmin car navigation device and I really miss the celebrity voices I could download for free. Deliberately quite funny sometimes, Alan Rickman was very critical of my navigation skills. :laugh:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:52 am I won't miss 'driving mode'. "Hey Google' and "take me to xxxx" is all I use in Google Maps.
I don't really keep up to date with this stuff but what's the difference between that and this Google assistant thing that is going to be used for directions?
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:24 am
404cameljockey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:52 am I won't miss 'driving mode'. "Hey Google' and "take me to xxxx" is all I use in Google Maps.
I don't really keep up to date with this stuff but what's the difference between that and this Google assistant thing that is going to be used for directions?
Simple explanation from howtogeek.com:

+++
Using voice commands is much safer while driving. Just say, "Hey Google," or tap the Assistant icon, and then say any of the following handy commands:

Make a call: "Make a call" or "Call [contact]."
Answer a call: Assistant will say "Call from [contact]. Do you want to pick it up?"
Send a message: "Send a message to [contact]" or "Send a message."
Get your messages: "Read my messages."
Listen to music: "Play [artist]," or "Play [genre]."

Driving Mode is, essentially, a larger, simplified launcher to use while driving. The idea is to keep your eyes on the road as much as possible. Hopefully, Driving Mode will make you a safer driver.

+++

https://www.howtogeek.com/704090/how-to ... ogle-maps/

:cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Ok, I'll give it a try!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

"This deprecation might force drivers to settle for the plain navigation mode activated by a simple "Hey Google, launch driving mode" command."

I've installed the Google assistant app and this works, it opens the navigation mode that I've always used on Google maps so there isn't any real change apart from how you get started.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

This article explains what has happened to Google Maps, certainly in Europe anyway.
It still exists as before but it doesn't come up in search results:

Google Maps is over! The Tech giant complies with the injunctions of the European Union by removing the presence of its navigation service in search results

https://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/1862664/ ... herche.htm