Thai TV & Flash Sales

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Big Boy

Thai TV & Flash Sales

Post by Big Boy »

Does anybody else get really P'd when these come on?

I can tolerate (read ignore) Thai TV when it is on in the background. Unless there's an important football match (which I usually watch on the outside TV), I give Mrs BB total control of the remote until at least 7pm each day. I even look at the occasional news article that might take my interest.

Everything is fine, until the 10 minute long Flash Sales kick in. If you are not familiar, it is a Thai advert with up to 4 people all talking at the same time, trying make themselves heard over the other members of the team. It becomes 10 minutes of absolute mayhem. Unless you look at the pictures, you can't have a clue what is being sold. It is a 10 minute battle royale of words trying to sell a piece of tat, which retails at a stupid recommend price, and they are always selling several of the same thing, for just 1,000฿ plus 200฿ postage. Some of the tat is something you might use once in a lifetime, but they are selling you 5 of these things for an amazing bargain price. Things I can think of off hand include:
  • Magnifying Spectacles - buy 1 and get 4 free. Why? People only have one head.
  • Knives with a lifetime guarantee - buy 1 set and get 2 sets free. So you have to live 3 times.
  • Gas cookers - buy 1 get 2 free.
I think you get the picture.

It is an unwritten rule in our house now that as soon as these things come on the TV, the TV is muted. Probably the worst times are when Mrs BB is watching TV in bed and has fallen asleep. I can easily sleep through Thai TV, but as soon as these ads come on they wake me up. I'm then scrambling around for the remote, which somewhere on the other side of the bed.

A pet hate of mine - Thai Flash Sales. Do they work? I doubt it.

:rant:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Thai TV & Flash Sales

Post by buksida »

Oh yes, I loathe these. Thailand is obsessed with advertising and selling cheap shite to the masses. This is just another example of that. Buy a ridiculously expensive jar of "healthy coffee" for 2,500 baht and you'll get four extra for "free" ... and a mug. People must be that stupid to fall for them, or else they wouldn't spend money to encroach on prime-time TV (unless the channels are on commission).

They come on at half-time during football matches or halfway through the hourly news (as if selling crap is more important than the daily news ... which it probably is in Thailand considering the shite they consider "news".)

Your rant is justified!

Edit: we try to limit the amount of time Thai TV is on ... it is pure cerebral pollution.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Listening to you guys, I feel privileged that we don’t have Thai TV in our house - my wife manages to survive on Tik-Tok and other Thai trash!!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

With 4 TV's in different rooms, I don't have this problem. The only rule is the TV in the living room is English at all times. What they watch on other TV's is irrelevant.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We have 4 as well, but I let my wife control the main TV during the day, and she controls the bedroom TV at night.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I consider the bedroom for sleeping only - in my younger days there were other nocturnal activities but after a couple of hours of watching TV in the lounge, I’m then ready for sleep these days!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've had a TV in the bedroom since the 70s. However, since moving to Thailand, I rarely watch it, and am fortunate that I can sleep through most things except Flash Sales :cuss:

Points 48; Position 20