The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
PeteC

Re: The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Post by PeteC »

I can find no additional information at present. I've read the same engine will be offered in their Everest SUV as well.

Ranger Wildtrak with new 3.0L V6 diesel engine, top 250 HP (PS), top 600 Newtonm torque, with 4 wheel drive (4A-4WD)
Open for reservation all over the country. 26 May. C. 67 at 12:00 pm At www.ford.co.th

phpphdGr9AM.jpg
phpphdGr9AM.jpg (101.29 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I found a link that said it would be B1,799,000 - that’s an awful lot of money for a pickup!!
https://www.ford.co.th/buy/build-and-pr ... iTHA202350
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:16 pm I found a link that said it would be B1,799,000 - that’s an awful lot of money for a pickup!!
Thats the Raptor, not the Wildtrack:
Wildtrak
Starting from 1,079,000 Baht‡‡
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

How Ford's V6 engines for next Ranger are built in Gqeberha, and why the SA factory is so unique

https://www.news24.com/life/motoring/ba ... r%20models.

There's a new thrum of activity inside Ford's Struandale Plant as the first V6 engine, which will go into the locally-built flagship next-generation Ranger, leaves the assembly line to much fanfare and applause.

Although the next-gen Ranger will be assembled at Ford's Silverton Plant in Pretoria, the engines will continue to be assembled at the Struandale Plant in Gqeberha, where another R600 million was recently invested.

"The investment in extending and retooling this assembly line allowed us to modernise the facility by introducing the latest advancements in traceability and quality management technologies," says Shawn Govender, Plant Manager of the Ford Struandale Engine Plant.

"This includes using highly accurate GPS tool positioning systems, torque-to-turn monitoring for every bolt on the engine, and multiple camera stations that validate and record the accurate fitment of parts throughout the production process. This guarantees that every engine we produce is of the highest quality and will complement the significant improvements in performance, efficiency and refinement that will be the next-generation Ranger's hallmarks."
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:19 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:16 pm I found a link that said it would be B1,799,000 - that’s an awful lot of money for a pickup!!
Wildtrak
Ok that’s fair enough, although the 1,079,000 only gets you the 2.0l engine in the Wildtrak - couldn’t find a figure for a 3.0l configuration.

I’d still say that the Raptor at 1,799,000 is a lot of money for a pickup!’
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Very confusing! I think that this is the one being discussed:\\

2024 Ford Ranger review

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-review ... ger-review

The Blue Oval has maximised the number of variants available with the new-generation range, and it’s made it harder for some of the existing best options to shine quite as brightly as they used to.

Take the XLT model, for instance. In the last-gen Ranger line-up, the XLT was arguably the perfect spec for a buyer who wanted a dual-cab ute with some nice features, but not too much bling or audaciousness – a ute you could use for dual purposes, in other words: work and play.

So, we thought we’d spend some time in the XLT grade with the V6 turbo-diesel to see if the new-generation version is still the sweet spot, or if you should consider one of the other models in the range?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:32 pm
Nereus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:19 pm
Wildtrak
Ok that’s fair enough, although the 1,079,000 only gets you the 2.0l engine in the Wildtrak - couldn’t find a figure for a 3.0l configuration.

I’d still say that the Raptor at 1,799,000 is a lot of money for a pickup!’
I found the 3.0l option, which starts at 1,519,000
https://www.ford.co.th/en/showroom/truc ... ildtrakv6/
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^That's about double what we paid for a 1.9 Isuzu Dmax so
definitely a lot of money for a pickup!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And double the money for a regular Ford Ranger.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:And double the money for a regular Ford Ranger.
So you won’t be getting your cheque book out just yetImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've said it before, I'm afraid to buy anything at the moment. All the naysayers on the electric threads, diesel drivers being targeted the world over, etc. I'll try to leave it a few years until things have settled and the future is better known. The way driving in Thailand is going, I'll more than likely have given up driving by then.

Enough about me.

:offtopic:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:23 pm How Ford's V6 engines for next Ranger are built in Gqeberha, and why the SA factory is so unique

https://www.news24.com/life/motoring/ba ... r%20models.

There's a new thrum of activity inside Ford's Struandale Plant as the first V6 engine, which will go into the locally-built flagship next-generation Ranger, leaves the assembly line to much fanfare and applause.

Although the next-gen Ranger will be assembled at Ford's Silverton Plant in Pretoria, the engines will continue to be assembled at the Struandale Plant in Gqeberha, where another R600 million was recently invested.

"The investment in extending and retooling this assembly line allowed us to modernise the facility by introducing the latest advancements in traceability and quality management technologies," says Shawn Govender, Plant Manager of the Ford Struandale Engine Plant.

"This includes using highly accurate GPS tool positioning systems, torque-to-turn monitoring for every bolt on the engine, and multiple camera stations that validate and record the accurate fitment of parts throughout the production process. This guarantees that every engine we produce is of the highest quality and will complement the significant improvements in performance, efficiency and refinement that will be the next-generation Ranger's hallmarks."
I don't have a lot of confidence in this or any new engine with little to no history. Yes, Ford is doing everything possible along the production chain based upon their experience, but there is little short term history and virtually no medium or long term history about the reliability of this engine. As it won't be a big seller here in Thailand, mechanic Somchai's knowledge at the local Ford dealer will also be a big question mark concerning repairs and any defects.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Every new engine has to start somewhere, so presumably it’s been tested extensively in trials, such that there won’t be any nasty surprises - if they’ve got it right, it won’t need Somchai to get his hands dirty, if they haven’t, well I don’t want to think about that too much, but as it won’t be affecting me, I’m not overly concerned.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote:I don't have a lot of confidence in this or any new engine with little to no history. Yes, Ford is doing everything possible along the production chain based upon their experience, but there is little short term history and virtually no medium or long term history about the reliability of this engine. As it won't be a big seller here in Thailand, mechanic Somchai's knowledge at the local Ford dealer will also be a big question mark concerning repairs and any defects.
It is interesting that you make that comment! I assume that this engine is a new development of the Ford designed V6 diesel designated as: AJD-V6/PSA DT17

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AJD-V6/PSA_DT17

While it is running, and in most cases it keeps running, it has a very poor reliability reputation in Land Rover cars. There have been many cases, both in Australia and other markets, of this engine breaking crankshafts! Not so much in the 2.7 litre version,more so when it was expanded into 3.0 litres.

Intially replacement parts, including crankshafts, were not available for this engine. A broken crankshaft meant scrapping the complete engine! While parts are now available, it is an expensive job to rebuild them.

There are many conflicting opinions as to why the engine breaks crankshafts, but it is a design fault, not an operational issue.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I went cold on Fords back in the 80's. Two with bad rear seals and one was my baby, a 5.0 Mustang GT manual transmission, 4 or 5 speed...I forget.. I loved that car, but it didn't love me as it got sick right after the warranty ended. :banghead: :offtopic: