TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: TV series worth watching/downloading

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:35 am
404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:30 am I watched Passenger yesterday. Police procedural but quite spooky. Not perfect, a bit muddled and a bit sketchily scifi (mostly just hinted at until near the end of the series). I thought the characterisations were generally really good and I'll definitely watch the second series.

It ends on a cliffhanger so
:D

Just caught the first series of Blue Lights another police drama, based in Belfast where partisanship and hatred is still strong. Gritty, obviously a bit violent at times but engrossing, rookie cops trying to cope feature strongly. Second series on the way and I'll watch that too.
Regarding “Passenger”, would you recommend that somebody (like me) who gave up after 10 minutes thinking this doesn’t look very good, should persevere?
Someone like you? Well, it's no Where Eagles Dare or doesn't star Jason Statham. :D

I couldn't say, I usually give it at least a whole episode before deciding! I can't recall the first 10 minutes.

An exception was The Completely Made-Up Adventures of Dick Turpin which I stopped after 10 or 15 minutes. Silly with awful gags, but tried again and found some enjoyment because there's eventually a good line up of comedic actors (excluding Noel Fielding who has failed for me since the enjoyable The Mighty Boosh) including the wonderful Mark Heap, Greg Davies and even Hugh Bonneville, who all make it worth watching for me. Silliness isn't always a turn-off.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It seems I wasn’t alone about switching off!!
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/tv/ ... iiow%3D%3D
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:20 pm It seems I wasn’t alone about switching off!!
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/tv/ ... iiow%3D%3D
"#Passenger feels like the dropout rate according to tweets is about typical for a new ITV drama.”

Doesn't mean it's bad, deciding after 10 minutes though?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well it was my judgment that the cops appeared to be the most unlike cops I’ve ever seen - I agree that 10 minutes might have been a bit short to know, but that’s how I felt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:28 pm Well it was my judgment that the cops appeared to be the most unlike cops I’ve ever seen - I agree that 10 minutes might have been a bit short to know, but that’s how I felt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue Lights might be more to your taste! Totally different. Very realistic and no scifi. I just enjoyed the characterisations in Passenger, it's a main part of a series for me. Probably a big part of why Netflix 3 Body Problem didn't work for me. :)
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Deep State [Fox tv, available at the usual sites]
What happens when a man who believes he has retired from MI6 is called back to do one more job to regain his life, only to discover that this job may mean he has no life to go back to.
I've just finished the first of 2 series of spy stuff action. It's not bad, and I like Mark Strong who has the lead role.
This is the way
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

dtaai-maai wrote:Deep State [Fox tv, available at the usual sites]
What happens when a man who believes he has retired from MI6 is called back to do one more job to regain his life, only to discover that this job may mean he has no life to go back to.
I've just finished the first of 2 series of spy stuff action. It's not bad, and I like Mark Strong who has the lead role.
It's been a few years now but if I recall correctly I think S2 was better than S1

Pity no S3 Image

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Wrong side of the tracks. A Spanish film with a young Thai girl. Not your usual grumpy old veteran cleans up the neighborhood. I enjoyed it. Ifound on netflix
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:19 am Deep State [Fox tv, available at the usual sites]
Thanks, I didn't know about this one from 2018. More spies, goody!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

migrant wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:14 am Wrong side of the tracks. A Spanish film with a young Thai girl. Not your usual grumpy old veteran cleans up the neighborhood. I enjoyed it. Ifound on netflix
Pedantic, I know, but you typed film instead of series. :D

Three series so far with a fourth on the way! Looks interesting from reviews.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Just watched the 1st series of Gavin & Stacey on iPlayer. Way behind the times on this BBC comedy drama, but I'm enjoying it. One of the characters, Bryn, is undoubtedly based on my mate pharvey - the likeness is too close to be a coincidence.
:cheers: :cheers:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:48 am Just watched the 1st series of Gavin & Stacey on iPlayer. Way behind the times on this BBC comedy drama, but I'm enjoying it. One of the characters, Bryn, is undoubtedly based on my mate pharvey - the likeness is too close to be a coincidence.
Tw@t..... And now just for your info., I actually went to school with him at Porthcawl Comp - didn't know him, but you know, have to name drop. On that note, the Co-writer of the series Ruth Jones (aka Nessa) lived just up the road when we were kids. Madly in love with me of course, but things just didn't work out..... Hey-ho.

And quite frankly I just don't know what I (or Bryn Rob) have done to deserve this distaste!! We shall await your grovelling apology :roll:

[EDIT] The terrifying thing is I swear "Smithy" is based on a mate that I've known for pushing 40 years (at least in his "younger years")

[EDIT 2] Actually makes me nervous what Episode/Series you're up to.......

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

404cameljockey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:12 am If anyone is as crazy as me and wants to watch the subtitled 30 part Chinese adaptation of Three Body download the VIKI WEBRip, not the AMZN one, as the AMZN subtitles miss whole scenes, like when an actor's thoughts are being spoken, and also words shown onscreen like computer screens, phone messages, etc.
Whereabouts is it downloadable from? I've looked a couple of places and didn't find it.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:58 am And quite frankly I just don't know what I (or Bryn Rob) have done to deserve this distaste!! We shall await your grovelling apology :roll:

[EDIT 2] Actually makes me nervous what Episode/Series you're up to.......
Well I've finished it now and thoroughly enjoyed it. :thumb:

Oh, and as far as our fishing trip is concerned, my lips are sealed... :laugh:
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:12 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:12 am If anyone is as crazy as me and wants to watch the subtitled 30 part Chinese adaptation of Three Body download the VIKI WEBRip, not the AMZN one, as the AMZN subtitles miss whole scenes, like when an actor's thoughts are being spoken, and also words shown onscreen like computer screens, phone messages, etc.
Whereabouts is it downloadable from? I've looked a couple of places and didn't find it.
Maybe you're typing three body problem which will fail. it's just the two words three body, and it's definitely on the Bay but MagnetDL is better for this one.