Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
buksida

Re: Thailand plans to decriminalize cannabis

Post by buksida »

Anutin has made his billions, time to ban it again. There are going to be a lot of shops and businesses going bust ...

New cannabis bill ready for cabinet
A new version of the cannabis and hemp control bill will be proposed at the cabinet meeting next week, Public Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew said on Tuesday.

The revised bill preserves the key point that cannabis is to be used for medical treatment only, but it will also state clearly that any use for recreational purposes will not be allowed, the minister said.

The government has yet to clarify what will happen to the thousands of businesses that have sprung up in the legal vacuum that has existed since cannabis was removed from the list of controlled narcotics in 2022.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... or-cabinet
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The problem is the legislation was rushed and was never designed to enable the free use of the drug for all. All they are doing is closing the loopholes that all the various businesses have exploited. So in that respect, I don't really have much sympathy with them, as they all started operating on a wing and a prayer.

On saying that, I do think there was an element of suck it and see by the authorities. I think if the reaction had been more measured, and not the explosion of shops that we have seen, regulation might have been introduced to limit access to certain zones etc. But when shops were opening near schools, and kids turning up at school in no state to be there, and with Thailand being such a condervative County and so on, change was inevitable.

I still think some private usage will be allowed, and that will be to the benefit of the well resourced outlets, as is always seen here. and the little people will be forced out of the market. That's how Thailand operates.
Talk is cheap
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Has there been any evaluation of harm done, if any?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

A Thai I know was trying to get involved in this business and I warned him not to because the law was going to change soon.
I hope he took my advice.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Perhaps the work around for those that wish to smoke will be as simple as obtaining a license for the same.

Pay a Dr. his fee for issuing a license and the government will get their cut that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thai government could face ‘thousands’ of lawsuits as it seeks to ban recreational cannabis use
Thailand’s cannabis industry is lawyering up as the cabinet weighs a bill to roll back legal weed, which industry insiders say is propelled by political calculation rather than sound public health policy.

While the cabinet did not take up the Cannabis and Hemp Act at its weekly meeting on Tuesday, entrepreneurs, producers and cannabis advocates forecast grave economic harm and a storm of litigation should lawmakers adopt the proposed regulations, which in present form, would ban recreational consumption and reintroduce stiff criminal penalties.

“If this bill completely passes, it’s going to be hard. It prohibits a lot of things. It puts criminal charges and heavy fines on violations which are unfair,” said Rattapon Sanrak, the founder of the advocacy group Highland, which has hosted annual pro-cannabis festivals for nearly a decade.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics ... nnabis-use
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

buksida wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:45 pm No idea what is going to happen to all the weed shops that have sprouted around Hua Hin, but the BIB are sure to be happy having another source of revenue ...
Looks like the first have already started closing. Looking at the prices in some of the others, I cannot see them lasting much longer than the remainder of the high season.

Another site said around 8,000 shops countrywide now. I wonder how many there will be by the end of the year?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thailand to ban recreational cannabis use by year-end, health minister says
Thailand will ban recreational use of marijuana by the end of this year but continue to allow its use for medical purposes, the health minister told Reuters in an interview.

After Thailand became the first country in Southeast Asia to free up medicinal use in 2018, and then recreational use in 2022, tens of thousands of cannabis shops have sprung up in an industry projected to be worth up to $1.2 billion by next year.

Critics say piecemeal rules were rushed out and adopted within a week of decriminalisation, and the government has drafted a new law to regulate cannabis use that is expected to take effect by year-end.

The draft bill will go to cabinet for approval next month before heading to parliament to be passed before the end of the year, Health Minister Cholnan Srikaew said.
"Without the law to regulate cannabis it will be misused," Cholnan said on Wednesday, referring to recreational use.

"The misuse of cannabis has a negative impact on Thai children," he added. "In the long run it could lead to other drugs."

The previous government had failed to push legislation through parliament before the general election of last May, leaving Thailand without an umbrella law to regulate its use.

Cannabis shops that operate illegally will not be allow to continue, while home-grown cannabis will also be discouraged, added Cholnan, who put the number of legally registered shops at 20,000.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-paci ... 024-02-29/
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Every joint has to be rolled in papers with a nasty picture on it espousing the dangers of pot. :banghead:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

PeteC wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:08 pm Every joint has to be rolled in papers with a nasty picture on it espousing the dangers of pot. :banghead:
Since all these cannabis shops opened in Thailand, I've wondered why you could openly promote it on the front of your business whilst cigarettes have to be hidden from view.
Aarsonhfr
Novice
Novice

Post by Aarsonhfr »

Henry 14th wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:01 pm Perhaps the work around for those that wish to smoke will be as simple as obtaining a license for the same.

Pay a Dr. his fee for issuing a license and the government will get their cut that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The government did this because they can be used to make medicine.
Such as CBD, as CBD or cannabidiol is increasingly being studied for its potential effects on relieving stress and anxiety.