Looking For New Tablet

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
pharvey

Re: Looking For New Tablet

Post by pharvey »

hhinner wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:05 pm
pharvey wrote:
Big Boy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:05 pm OK guys, I've gone for my upper range Samsung, minus the 5G capability. I'm happy it will more than meet my modest requirements. I did go for the 11" in the end as the higher spec 8.7" model did not seem to be available, and there was quite a difference in power.

Thank you to all who contributed. I'm especially grateful for being made aware of the "C-Port" issue.
I'm still having a look through things - whilst my current Tablet is only a couple of years old, it's not what I really want (all down to my lack of research unfortunately). The Samsung really looks good, but there seems to be so many variations (especially in the UK) - though I'm also looking at the 11" minus 5G. What connections did you end up with in the end (some models appear to still have USB 2.0 or 3.0 rather than USB-C)?

As an aside, a little more investigation showed, I can see where I've buggered up (perhaps) on a couple of occasions. There is a limit as to what the Lenovo (and others) can recognise with regards to external memory - 256 GB Mini SIM and 1TB USB for example, BUT various comments Online put this limit at far lower and recommend certain "Formatting"... I'm in the process of checking things out with far lower storage devices to see what happens.

:cheers: :cheers:
pharvey, You seem a little bit confused by USB.

Just in case you are (or anyone else is):

USB 2.x and 3.x refer to data interchange protocols and speeds. USB C is a connection/interface specification. USB C does not indicate whether its device uses USB 2 or 3 for data transfer and some devices use USB C ports for power supply only.

In tablets and phones a USB C socket may be used for charging only, but usually also for OTG (on the go - to attach eg a thumb drive, camera or other peripheral) and for connection to a PC where the phone/tablet is the peripheral. These connections are not necessarily USB 3.x.

Some phones/tablets may also use the USB connection for other purposes such as for HDMI input or output (eg use tablet as PC monitor, connect phone/tablet to TV).

The presence of a USB C port doesn't indicate the presence of any particular functionality. You need to check the device specifications.
Well, thanks for the clarification - I was of course referring to the "old style" of USB Port/Connection shall we say (what we generally see on laptops and Desktops. Not the C Type connection that we see on mobile phones and Tablets etc. these days. I understand that some of these connections are for charging only, but was simply listing what was available on the specs. I had seen.

Appreciated anyway.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, the beastie arrived just after 12. Did the video of it being unpacked. FFS, it came in 3 boxes - I thought I'd bought a tablet from IKEA.
  • 1 box for the tablet
  • 1 box for the case
  • 1 box for the free gift (a travel flask and 2 cups :? )
Initial thoughts were utter disappointment. I presumed that even though I've still got to buy a fast charger, I could have connected it to an existing charger - wrong. Fortunately I had a fully loaded fast battery charger with built in assorted charging cables - I was able to charge using that baby. However, the cable I've received with it won't connect to anything - obviously the C-port issue talked about by pharvey and explained by hhinner.

I won't use the beastie in anger until I've had a toughened glass fitted, and have bought the 2 bits tomorrow.

My Plan B at the moment is to load files to the micro-SD, and get them into the beastie that way, but hopefully the C-port adapter will negate Plan B's execution.

One other thing, when looking at the A9+ display in Samsung, they had small screens and they had some ginormous screens (they'd give HHTel's giant TV a run for its money). Without measuring, I presumed the ginormous screens were the 11". They were massive. In the end I ordered the 11" to get the better spec. What I've received is the smaller version of what was on display. I've checked the measurements and I've got the 11", and its a nice size. 8.7" would be too small. So I'm quite happy with the size.

Basically, the spec of what I have is:

Galaxy Tab A9 Plus ( Ram 8 GB , ROM 128 GB ) supports Dex Mode.
Screen size "11”, TFT, WUXGA (1920 ? 1200, 16:10, 207PPI), 90 Hz
Screen-to-body ratio 80.3% (16:10)"
Resolution (Main Display) 1920 ? 1200 (WUXGA), 207 PPI
connection
Wi-Fi 5, Wi-Fi Direct, BT 5.1
3G CAT : DL Cat24 / UL Cat6
LTE CAT: DL Cat15/ UL Cat18
CPU / Processor Snapdragon 695 (Qualcomm | SM6375)
CPU Speed ​​2.2GHz,1.8GHz
CPU Type Octa-Core
RAM 8GB
Machine memory 128GB
SD supports up to 1TB
2G GSM Quad
3G B1/2/4/5/8
4G "FDD : B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/20/26/28/66
TDD : B38, B40, B41"
5G "FDD : n1/3/5/7/8/20/28/66
TDD : n38/40/41/77/78"
Front camera resolution 5 MP FF, F2.2
Rear camera resolution 8 MP AF, F2.0
Video Video Recording (Max Resolution@fps) FHD (1920 x 1080) | @30fps
Battery capacity 7,040 mAh, supports 15W charging (charger sold separately)
Dimensions 257.1 x 168.7 x 6.9 mm, 480g (Wi-Fi), 491g (5G)
USB Type Type C USB 2.0
Location detection system GPS,Glonass,Beidou,Galileo,QZSS
Sensor Accelerometer,Gyro Sensor,Geomagnetic Sensor,Hall Sensor,Light Sensor
Support for Gear Galaxy Buds2 Pro,Galaxy Buds Pro,Galaxy Buds Live,Galaxy Buds+,Galaxy Buds2,Galaxy Buds
Android version Android 13 / Upgrade 3 times
Multimedia Player Max Resolution@fps FHD (1920 x 1080) | @60fps
Samsung Services & Applications
"Samsung DeX, Multi window, Smart Switch, SmartThings, Private Share, Secure Folder,
Samsung Health, Bixby Routine, Game Launcher, Smart View, Multi Control"
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:28 pm OK, the beastie arrived just after 12. Did the video of it being unpacked. FFS, it came in 3 boxes - I thought I'd bought a tablet from IKEA.
  • 1 box for the tablet
  • 1 box for the case
Initial thoughts were utter disappointment. I presumed that even though I've still got to buy a fast charger, I could have connected it to an existing charger - wrong. Fortunately I had a fully loaded fast battery charger with built in assorted charging cables - I was able to charge using that baby. However, the cable I've received with it won't connect to anything - obviously the C-port issue talked about by pharvey and explained by hhinner.

I won't use the beastie in anger until I've had a toughened glass fitted, and have bought the 2 bits tomorrow.

My Plan B at the moment is to load files to the micro-SD, and get them into the beastie that way, but hopefully the C-port adapter will negate Plan B's execution.

One other thing, when looking at the A9+ display in Samsung, they had small screens and they had some ginormous screens (they'd give HHTel's giant TV a run for its money). Without measuring, I presumed the ginormous screens were the 11". They were massive. In the end I ordered the 11" to get the better spec. What I've received is the smaller version of what was on display. I've checked the measurements and I've got the 11", and its a nice size. 8.7" would be too small. So I'm quite happy with the size.

Basically, the spec of what I have is:

Galaxy Tab A9 Plus ( Ram 8 GB , ROM 128 GB ) supports Dex Mode.
Screen size "11”, TFT, WUXGA (1920 ? 1200, 16:10, 207PPI), 90 Hz
Screen-to-body ratio 80.3% (16:10)"
Resolution (Main Display) 1920 ? 1200 (WUXGA), 207 PPI
connection
Wi-Fi 5, Wi-Fi Direct, BT 5.1
3G CAT : DL Cat24 / UL Cat6
LTE CAT: DL Cat15/ UL Cat18
CPU / Processor Snapdragon 695 (Qualcomm | SM6375)
CPU Speed ​​2.2GHz,1.8GHz
CPU Type Octa-Core
RAM 8GB
Machine memory 128GB
SD supports up to 1TB
2G GSM Quad
3G B1/2/4/5/8
4G "FDD : B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/20/26/28/66
TDD : B38, B40, B41"
5G "FDD : n1/3/5/7/8/20/28/66
TDD : n38/40/41/77/78"
Front camera resolution 5 MP FF, F2.2
Rear camera resolution 8 MP AF, F2.0
Video Video Recording (Max Resolution@fps) FHD (1920 x 1080) | @30fps
Battery capacity 7,040 mAh, supports 15W charging (charger sold separately)
Dimensions 257.1 x 168.7 x 6.9 mm, 480g (Wi-Fi), 491g (5G)
USB Type Type C USB 2.0
Location detection system GPS,Glonass,Beidou,Galileo,QZSS
Sensor Accelerometer,Gyro Sensor,Geomagnetic Sensor,Hall Sensor,Light Sensor
Support for Gear Galaxy Buds2 Pro,Galaxy Buds Pro,Galaxy Buds Live,Galaxy Buds+,Galaxy Buds2,Galaxy Buds
Android version Android 13 / Upgrade 3 times
Multimedia Player Max Resolution@fps FHD (1920 x 1080) | @60fps
Samsung Services & Applications
"Samsung DeX, Multi window, Smart Switch, SmartThings, Private Share, Secure Folder,
Samsung Health, Bixby Routine, Game Launcher, Smart View, Multi Control"
If you don't mind my asking did you order it from Lazada? And what was the cost ? As I'm in the UK at the moment, will be looking for a Samsung tablet and therefore compare the prices.
:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I purchased from Siam TV (500฿ cheaper for the non-5G model than Lazada). I actually fee that I've received the 5G model according to the spec, but I won't know for certain until I am ready to use it tomorrow. I paid 8,490฿, which is most certainly a non-5G price.

Points 48; Position 21
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:24 pm I purchased from Siam TV (500฿ cheaper for the non-5G model than Lazada). I actually fee that I've received the 5G model according to the spec, but I won't know for certain until I am ready to use it tomorrow. I paid 8,490฿, which is most certainly a non-5G price.
Thank you very much
buksida

Post by buksida »

Spec looks pretty good for the price. I presume you primarily use it for movies when on those long bus trips? You can buy a little adaptor so you can add a thumb drive to it to expand the storage capacity if needed. I've done this with my phone.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/essag ... 31228.html

They're a fair bit more in the UK, according to the Samsung website which says yours is £289. We don't have a tablet in the house, only the Kindle, so couldn't offer any advice.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:OK, the beastie arrived just after 12. Did the video of it being unpacked. FFS, it came in 3 boxes - I thought I'd bought a tablet from IKEA.
  • 1 box for the tablet
  • 1 box for the case

When you say the cable won't connect to anything, what do you mean?

If it's just a charging cable it won't work for any data connection. It should work for charging though.

My Samsung tablet cable connects with any charger. But the tablet will not fast charge with other than a Samsung cable (though it will slow charge).

If the supplied cable won't even work for charging it may just be duff.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, curiosity has got the better of me (I knew it would). However, there was too much footie to watch last night to be bothered with a tablet :laugh:

The cable supplied has the same connection both ends. The only thing I have that it will plug into is the new tablet (and I have now discovered my wife's phone, although that doesn't achieve anything). We have several chargers at home, but they all have bog standard USB connectors. So no mains charging until I buy a dedicated fast charger with the right slot.

I was checking on You Tube to see what I needed to connect to my laptop. An old fashioned phone lead with a connection to the phone one end, and a bog standard USB connector the other end. Really? My wife's phone has the same connector, so I used her lead - perfect :D . I can now do everything I need, including slow charging. I've downloaded my first movie, and it works fine.

Today's visit to MV (I won't go myself after last week's attempted robbery) now just requires a toughened glass and a fast charger. For the limited use so far, I am extremely happy - my main use will be watching movies, and I now know that can be easily achieved.

Points 48; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The plot thickens. Before sending my DIL to MV. I've checked on Lazada for fast chargers for my beast - they all show a standard USB fitting on the charger. She will definitely have to buy a charger from Samsung. It looks as though Samsung are going down the Apple road and making unique features, forcing you to buy their products, probably at inflated prices. Here's my cable:

20240408_101450.jpg
20240408_101450.jpg (73.97 KiB) Viewed 468 times

Points 48; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm getting more and more confused. Everyone, including Apple, is changing over to I think USB-C for all chargers. Everything will be universal and interchangeable per my thinking. There will be units for sale that are old design as they are in stock everywhere and will be sold until gone. The new law/agreements don't state that existing designs have to be pulled from shelves as far as I know.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I carried on scrolling through Lazada, and have found what I need. As you say Pete, a lot of old stock, and it's being presented first. Being delivered by Thursday. Just the toughened glass now.

Points 48; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'm amazed that if it needs a bespoke charger and won't work with a standard one ... why didn't it come with one? As you say, very Applesque :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

On the plus side, it connects to 5G, so that has saved me a couple of thousand (assuming that's all the 5G model does).

Points 48; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I got one of those cables with my last Samsung phone.
It's usb-c male at both ends and they give it to you because you can use it to data transfer everything from an old phone.
You can basically clone the phone, settings, apps, photos etc in about ten minutes. I'm assuming it's the same with their tablets.
The whole idea of unified charging cables is to reduce electronic waste, they don't give you a charger because almost everyone already has one and millions of them were getting thrown away.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That sounds sensible, but the only other device it would fit in my household is my wife's phone. OK, my phone and old tablet are ancient, but my son's and DIL's stuff if pretty new. It will not fit any charger in my household. It is fortunate my battery pack has multiple cables built in, so I could fast charge.

Points 48; Position 21