Football (not Premier League)

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Re: Football (not Premier League)

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, but still 5 games to go. Fortunately they seem to have the easiest run-in, if anything is easy in a relegation battle, of course.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well they’ve given themselves a fighting chance, but everyone will be scrapping for points so yes, it won’t be easy!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Quite a match BB! I didn't see it but was following it on the BBC LIVE site. Plymouth should now be energized hopefully to go the distance for the remaining games. Leicester are now saying "the wheels are coming off". :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow! This was one game I'd written off, Absolutely delighted :dance:

Points 48; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I guess the key point in the report is
Argyle have now gone unbeaten in all three games since Ian Foster was sacked as head coach, taking seven points out of nine.
Stories about Ian Foster's man management have been coming out. He literally squeezed the life out of a small club, punching above their weight. It seems the players were treated like kids. Forced to eat together once each day. Nobody could leave the table until Ian Foster had finished. 2 senior (loved) players went to the chairman to discuss how he had lost the players with his 'superior' antics. They both disappeared from the team for a few weeks as punishment.

Still a small club, but they seem to have regained their fire now that Foster has gone.

Points 48; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Plymouth went down 3-0 to Stoke which is not good. That leaves them at 48 points. Not totally safe yet I don't think.

They have Millwall on the 27th and Hull on May 4. To be sure of things they really need to win one of those.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was devastated when I saw the result in my hotel room. It was one I really wanted to see 3 points from. It had been suggested Schumacher would have been sacked if Plymouth had won.

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

A bit late in the season to sack a manager!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They stole him from Plymouth mid way through the season, but he never performed as well as he had been at Plymouth. A defeat against Plymouth would have been the final nail. Stoke are not known for their patience with underperforming managers.

Points 48; Position 21
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm actually finding this countdown to the end fun in the Championship, both top and bottom of the league. Less drama and histrionics than the Premier league. :thumb: :cheers:

Edit: Plus it's not filled with half a million dollar per week people who can't seem to play football?!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

LOL, not so much fun when your team is involved in the mess at the wrong end of the table :laugh:

As for not so many overpaid prima donnas, have you checked the Leicester City wage bill? Something like 35 x greater than lowly Plymouth. Mind you, I just wish Plymouth had a sugar daddy to pay the crazy bills - actually, I don't. When the Jap walked away, it left us in very dire straights.

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Teams that get relegated from the Premier often pay much higher wages than those that have been there for a number of years - I guess there’s no real surprise there. At the moment, Leicester are odds on to return so they’re very fortunate - a lot of clubs languish for a number of years if not even dropping lower - with Leicester, having a “sugar daddy” seems to have helped them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Leicester are of course the King Power people and wealthy Thai family left over from their glory days. They'll go up, but if they come back down rapidly I would think we'll see a change in ownership. The only player I know is Vardy, and he's getting old! :laugh:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:24 pm The only player I know is Vardy, and he's getting old! :laugh:
And very rich - they reckoned when he came on against Plymouth a couple of weeks ago, his wage alone outweighed the entire Plymouth budget. Of course, I have one thing to say to that......... 1 - 0 :laugh: :dance:

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Aye, but Leicester are going up and Plymouth are dangling by a thread, so there’s some merit in it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk